OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 30, 2022 3:20 pm  #1

Being shunned by community

I live in Vermont and was part of a very controlling, dysfunctional church since age 15, now I’m 42 and left it two years ago. This spring people heard that my ex moved out and that he’s gay. I tried slowly to reach out to people who have been close friends for many years. Some were peers, some older people I always looked up to and used to get help during hard times. All ignored me. I kept trying another person after waiting a few days or more for the last one to reply.

Today the formerly closest friend walked into a store when I was standing right there at the register. She looked right at me. No way to ignore me! I smiled really big and felt so excited as I waved - I kept hoping lately that if she saw me somewhere we’d reconnect. Maybe she’d realize I’m still the nice person she’s known for a decade. Nope. She smiled and quickly ran to the back of the store. I went over to see if she was nearby as I left, because in old days we always waited to talk in that situation. She was gone.

At a parade on the 4th, we stood with my family and lots of old church friends. Everyone except my sisters ignored me and my ex. It’s like we’re lepers. They acted really nervous and jittery. One sister is divorced for 2 years now, and got TONS of wonderful support from these same people for the year of hardship after her ex left for another woman. They still love her, so why am I being shunned? She has no kids, but here I am now raising 5 kids alone full time. I’ve told people that, and how hard it is.

I’m so hurt. So bewildered. I led so many prayer teams and all the care services at that church for 16 years. I helped these same people through very hard times. But I’ve heard they feel betrayed by me and my ex, they see us as wolves in sheeps clothing who invaded their community. Even though I’ve told them in my ignored messages that I had no idea he was gay and I’m so hurt that he tricked me. They don’t see me as a victim. It’s more than I can take, the hardest part of this season.

July 30, 2022 5:55 pm  #2

Re: Being shunned by community

Hi LMM,

Yes it happens routinely - you are cut from the flock.  The way I look at it is they are blinded by the light and it is not intentional to hurt you.

When I left my religious group I saw people cross the street to avoid me and then came the time I bumped into a close friend, she was just about to get into her car and I had arrived right beside her on the pavement, we had a brief chat, I made a joke and she couldn't help herself, she laughed and that almost instantly turned to fear - how could I be fun to be with, I was supposed to be going off like a rotten vegetable.  It was distressing and I stopped trying to make contact with old friends.  Family are different.  They might stick by you no matter what.

I agree with Sean, limiting exposure to your ex sounds like a good plan - he can have the kids for the family dinner while you get a rest.

It's so tough to lose both community and partner at once, some people go through their whole lives without experiencing such terrible hurt, but you will be okay, promise you.  In time you will find you have established a new normal.  

Board footera