OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 24, 2022 2:53 pm  #1

It's been very quiet in here the last few days

.. almost like you've all gone on holiday.. lol
and left your devices at home!

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

June 24, 2022 6:07 pm  #2

Re: It's been very quiet in here the last few days

we lost our visibility and don't get that regular influx of new people since being swallowed up by OnePath - I think you have to be lucky to find us.  Nice sunny day here again - looks like the floods really are over.

June 24, 2022 7:18 pm  #3

lily wrote:

.....  Nice sunny day here again - looks like the floods really are over.

We've had quite a cold snap here the last few days. It was minus 3 in Christchurch the other morning with a high of 6dg..!!

KIA KAHA                       

June 24, 2022 7:38 pm  #4

lily wrote:

we lost our visibility and don't get that regular influx of new people since being swallowed up by OnePath ....

"swallowed up...."
The straightspouse has been swallowed up by.... what progress?

KIA KAHA                       

June 24, 2022 8:12 pm  #5

we are getting gorgeous winter weather - warm and sunny during the day cold as cold at night.  well as cold as it gets here, we don't get frost.

when I came here all I needed was to put my burning question - why do straight women marry gay men - into google and it took me straight here.  Once we were swallowed up by OnePath the forum doesn't come up for pages - I will try it again and see what it's like now.

June 24, 2022 8:26 pm  #6

yeah okay it's got worse - I typed the same question in.  At the bottom of the first page there is a link to someone interviewing Bonny Kaye, she tells her story, the article is perfectly nice but is more for informing the gay community than helping the straight spouses and there is no link to this forum or OnePath for that matter. 

I looked through 10 pages - no sign of us.  I'm not really sure how people find us at all, it would have to be through following a link from somewhere else, not that I checked out the other articles but there doesn't seem much likelihood of that either.  

Taking the terms Straight and Spouse out of the banner effectively closed the front door on us.  I can't help it but the ironies are too much for me, it's kinda funny that the Straight Spouse Forum has ended up in a closet!

June 24, 2022 9:28 pm  #7

Lily, What term did you type in? Supposedly our internet gurus were supposed to take care of that.

There have been a number who have registered recently but none have posted. They're still finding us, probably reading the archives.

Elle, some here would envy you. Much of the US and some of Europe have seen temps over 40 (C). My corner of the US and most of Canada have been spared so far.

Last edited by Sam (Admin) (June 24, 2022 9:35 pm)

June 24, 2022 9:44 pm  #8

Me in the desert, Heat Wave!  This weekend is what we call too hot to go outside.  

I'm recovering from the In Law's visit.  I don't know what in hades happened between them leaving their house across the country and getting here but suddenly they were all supportive of him and will always love him. He had a lovely visit with them.  Not that I wanted things to be bad between them but I just kind of stood there wanting to scream at the ashes of my life.  I'm coming to terms that there was part of me that wanted his parents to really lay into him for what he's done.  To demand answers and a plan for how he's going to make sure me and kids are taken care of.  I saw them a few times too, got hugs, was told they love me and I'm always part of the family.  

For the searching thing, it was quite a task for me to find this place.  I went into google searching for "Straight spouse support group".  I went through many searches and pages and honestly  can't remember what was the winning one.  What I did get was lots of articles on helping your spouse come out.

June 24, 2022 11:48 pm  #9

Sam (Admin) wrote:

......Elle, some here would envy you. Much of the US and some of Europe have seen temps over 40 (C). My corner of the US and most of Canada have been spared so far.

Sounds better than -3.7 Sam

KIA KAHA                       

June 25, 2022 12:01 am  #10

My comments in red

Agl03 wrote:

Me in the desert, Heat Wave!  This weekend is what we call too hot to go outside.  This global warming...it's a problem (I kinda envy you and I don't)

I just kind of stood there wanting to scream at the ashes of my life.  I'm coming to terms that there was part of me that wanted his parents to really lay into him for what he's done.   His family may still/may already have layed into him but in private. I would hope they're a bit embarrassed to front up to you and are keeping all this under-the-radar. I reckon you need to start telling more people

For the searching thing, it was quite a task for me to find this place.  I went into google searching for "Straight spouse support group".  I went through many searches and pages and honestly  can't remember what was the winning one.  What I did get was lots of articles on helping your spouse come out  I've forgotten how I found this Forum. I'll have to go back into my Straightspouse Diary.. but the LGBTQ community seems to have fingers in many pies. This Forum too. I hate feeling bitter about this, but I do .

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

Board footera