OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 9, 2022 3:48 pm  #1

MOM Couples therapist in PA?

Hi all,
Super thankful that groups like this exist. A little background about me is that I'm from Philadelphia, PA and my wife came out to me last Thursday that she may be bisexual. She's not quite sure what that looks like for her yet, but as of right now, fully desires to stay in a monogamous relationship with me. So we are very early in both of our respective journeys.

The biggest thing we both agree on is the desire for counseling. The issue is that most therapists who "specialize" in mixed-orientation marriages, all advertise polyamorous marriages which at this point, neither one of us desire.

Does anyone have any suggestions or referrals to any therapists they like or know of who might be a good fit?

February 9, 2022 7:41 pm  #2

Re: MOM Couples therapist in PA?

Most therapists have multiple consulting areas of interest.  If you tell them what you want, a good therapist will try to help you achieve it.  They don't decide what you should do, they help you decide. Finding one you both feel comfortable with is most important.

You might find individual therapy helpful too, as things develop.

March 7, 2022 6:54 pm  #3

Hello Hopeful- 
If you find someone, please let me know! 
I am the straight partner, in a 14 year marriage, and I almost completely broke on this last revelation. 
I have caught him 3 separate times doing things (with concrete evidence - no excuses), for months at a time, and I am sure it has been more than that. I always have to find out, he never comes out with it. 

And I need a counselor. The issue is - I can't seem to find one who has REAL helpful counseling. They either tell me I must leave and be true to myself, or put it all behind me and keep moving forward.

One cannot simply forget and act as if it's all the same as you once thought it was. 

I am also in PA - a bit more north than you. If you find a counselor in PA, please message me. I would greatly appreciate it! 

March 8, 2022 4:23 pm  #4

Hi deceivedandsad,

Your husband is cheating on you repeatedly. Am so sorry.

One person alone can't prop up a marriage. I thought I married a stable, responsible man. I wound up being a mother to an immature and irresponsible gay overgrown teen boy.

I hate to sound harsh because I know you are hurting. The counselors you've seen are right. There's no in between - just a lot of pain for you.

Take care and hope things work out for you.

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

Board footera