OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 7, 2022 10:42 pm  #1

The Late Actress Carol Channing Was A Straight Spouse

She grew up in San Francisco. It was a big news item here at the time.

It came to my mind today for some reason.

https://www.deseret.com/platform/amp/1998/5/21/19381135/husband-denies-abusing-cheating-carol-channing

Husband denies abusing, cheating Carol Channing
By Deseret News on May 21, 1998 12:00 am

The husband-business manager of actress Carol Channing denied her claims that he abused her and mismanaged her money during their 41-year marriage.

Channing, 77, has filed for divorce from Charles Lowe, 86, and said Wednesday she recently discovered that the value of their combined estate is less than $2 million, even though her recent tour of "Hello, Dolly" netted her $5 million.Lowe blamed the accusations on the jealousy of Channing's son, Channing Lowe, whom he adopted.

"I was just going over the finances with her accountant, and she has a billion dollars," Lowe said.

Channing, who also starred in "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes," said Lowe spent her money "like a drunken sailor" on Wallace Seawell, a Hollywood photographer.

That's impossible!" Lowe said in a phone interview. "Wally Seawell, he's out every night with a different woman. I can't believe that she would say that."

Channing said Lowe "manipulated me psychologically, mentally and financially. . . . I have been humiliated regularly by my husband in public and I am regularly physically assaulted by him."

Channing said she remained loyal to him and "never during the course of our 41-year marriage had any affairs or been intimate with anyone else."

She said her husband told her years ago he was impotent, a claim she now says was untrue.

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

Board footera