OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 9, 2022 3:54 am  #11

Re: Not sure at all. Please read this long story and leave your opinions.

Thank you Soaplife. I still am in partial denial of being abused all these years. Maybe growing up seeing men cheating on their wives with prositutes without any consequence, treating their wives as inferior to them has put me here. My head is telling me my husband is a lier,fraud,bully but also telling me he has provided financially what most people dream for, has not been physically violent, showed me the world, made sure we had the best of everything, been a good dad most of the time andsg is incredibly smart so I look up to his vast knowledge covering any subject. It is terrible how conflicted I am inside.

I have great parents who are comfortable financially. They will provide me with a roof and food no doubt. Honestly I do think I am in a decent position to drop everything and escape. Social shame from marrying a homosexual is going to be ok too now that I think about it. I lost all my friends from leaving at a young age. Never had a big social life, older relatives who do not believe in 'gays' will pass away sooner or later. There will be no one left to shame me.
I just want it to be harmless for my sons mental health. Changing schools to another country speaking a completely different language, no friends, mom working or trying to find work for the first time, cutting off his father until we reach an agreement of separation....
There is a lot to process. Will have some time on my own while me husband is on his trip. Been treated dumb, incompetant,stupid all these years without aknowledging it,my self doubt is the biggest obstacle. Thank you for the advice.

Soaplife wrote:

Lost, I have read your posts here and on Sean's thread also.

My gxh abused me the same way - everything wrong all the time.  It is a very cruel way to treat someone you promised to love.  It is soul-destroying and makes you feel utterly worthless and helpless. 

We are here to tell you that you are none of those things.  You have been a faithful, supportive and hard-working wife, given your husband a a beautiful son, kept a lovely home and paid attention to his every need and want. In spite of his cruelty you have stuck with it day in and day out.

But we all reach a breaking point.  It is often when what our spouse is doing starts to badly affect our children.  Your son loves you and wants to protect you - what a beautiful thing to see in a boy on the edge of adolescence.

You are not helpless, Lost. If you start focusing on getting you and your son away from this toxic lying cheating man (rather than focusing on how hopeless it seems) you will begin to see possibilities.

Could you talk to your family and see if they can offer you a place to stay if you came home? Can you quietly plan what you would need if you and your son left? While your husband is away, can you gather information about your finances? Can your family help you get a bank account in your home country where you can deposit money? If you have access to your passports and money or credit card, can you wait until your husband leaves on a 'work' trip then pack what you need plus the info you have gathered and as much money as you can, and get you and your son on the next flight home to your family?
Does your son have right of residency in your home country so he can live there legally longer term? Can you talk to a lawyer and start divorce proceedings from your home country?

If your family will help you - even if they don't understand and are sometimes unkind - that is better than where you are now.  With time you can find work and become independent of them, making a home for your son and yourself.

Just start thinking about the possibilities.  That is how I started - just by thinking about getting free rather than coping with being trapped. 

You have lived and brought up a son competently and successfully in a foreign country, with a difficult husband who often is not there. You are full of courage, determination and resourcefulness.  You are formidable - your son needs you to use that strength. And you deserve better.

January 9, 2022 7:34 am  #12

Lost,
    You are clearly in the bargaining stage, that "do I really have to go?" state, looking for reasons for stay while acknowledging the need to go.  You are running through the "up" side of life with your spouse--the comfort, etc--while also allowing yourself to express, fully, the pain of the life you've lived with him.  He sounds like a monster to me, frankly, for the way he subjected you, his pregnant spouse, to what was essentially the silent treatment, which is, in case you don't realize it, a form of relationship abuse.  That you haven't crumbled entirely under the years of abuse is a testament to your resilience and your core of self-worth your damaged and cruel spouse has done his best to destroy.
   What spurred me to write was what you have to say about your son, and not wanting him to have to change schools because that would be tough.  Yes, it would be a change and a challenge, but it seems to me you are temporizing, using his schooling as part of your "I don't really have to do this very hard thing, do I?" bargaining.  
  Please contextualize that change and challenge in the bigger, long term picture.  Because school is school.  It ends.  Whereas what he learns from observing his parents becomes part of his long term pattern in life, part of his emotional life, his character, his psychology.  He now knows about his father's secret homosexual life.  He now knows what kind of marriage his parents have.  He is going to be observing you and his father, and taking his cues about relationships from what he sees.  So what is better for him in the long run?  

January 9, 2022 8:44 am  #13

I hope that you can find a solution to your situation. I, myself, do not like change and it took me almost a year to break up with my gay boyfriend.

January 9, 2022 12:14 pm  #14

To everyone who has left a comment, thank you all.
My son is all I have left in this relationship and luckily he has been more than a child. It almost feels like he has been sent as a guardian angel to keep me safe. I have been doing my best to bring peace in this family but there was always a problem big or small. Now I know that majority of the issues are not at all my fault, it all comes down to my husband being secretly gay and unhealthy in his mind. My baby deserves to be raised in a happy home.
I feel terribly old and damaged but just turned 38years old. Will get out and start fresh. That will be my new year resolution. My husband has no idea I am posting here. He told me I am in a jolly good mood for the past few days. That it is nice to see me relaxed. Even shared a picture of me smiling on his social media quoting 'love of my life'. What a clown. He doesnt know my smile comes from hope or ecsape and self awareness.
Chatted with my parents secretly last night about moving back and needing support until I get settled. I told them my husband is secretly gay so he will not join the move.  No further questions. They are going to get every lawyer in the family to find me the best legal team. I have funds to rent a place and schooling will be covered by my parents. My sister has already asked her boss if there is a job for me. Her therapist friend is going to help me and my son with trauma and crisis management. So I see a light at the end of the tunnel.
Thank you all for confirming my husband is gay. Wish you all the best.

January 9, 2022 3:15 pm  #15

wow!  well done.   That is a tremendous amount to accomplish in 24 hours.

I think your plans are solid and well thought out. 

I'd just like to add that I think you do your son proud.  He must love you a lot.

you are still young, really.

wishing you all the very best in your new life, Lily.

Last edited by lily (January 9, 2022 3:20 pm)

January 9, 2022 5:56 pm  #16

Hello Lily,
I have always been an overachiever. When I want to get something done, I get it done. That is how and why I stayed trapped in this marriage i guess. Because I was determined to be the perfect wife and mother no matter what. I did everything, sacrificed everything to be a better beard. Lucky man at the end of the day! He will never find a better cover up than me. He'll regret losing me. Maybe it will make him come out. Don't care.
I am more shocked at my family, I thought they would tell me to get on with my life choices and find an affair partner if I crave a mans touch so much.
Anyway, it has been quite a day and my goodness, the shit I lived through and the lies accumulated... thanks to Sean I see them now. Plenty more lies I didn't write here are coming to my mind. How gullible I was! Going for a car wash in the rain, saunas to treat aches, traveling overnight in Bangkok when there are hundreds of direct flights,insisting staying at hotels alone for 'comfort' while I stayed at my parents,staying in the parking lot while I went shopping etc.. I don't need anymore proof. Already took photos of every Grindr chat I could,took photos of the facebook chats and emails, downloaded all reciepts and booking confirmation he kept on his computer for every trip since 2003 for tax purposes. There are plenty that suggest he was not where he claimed to be according to my insanely detailed agenda. Had no idea I was so obsessed with his whereabouts. I guess I knew things didn't seem right in the back of my head from early on.  But now I am free. Just needed the push. I am so good at pretending to be fine all the time. Will continue until I get to say A dieu.
I am so glad I found this platform. You are saving peoples lives. Once I get myself in a safe place, I shall contribute too. Thank you again.

lily wrote:

wow!  well done.   That is a tremendous amount to accomplish in 24 hours.

I think your plans are solid and well thought out. 

I'd just like to add that I think you do your son proud.  He must love you a lot.

you are still young, really.

wishing you all the very best in your new life, Lily.

January 9, 2022 7:49 pm  #17

Lost, that is amazing! You are a force of nature!  Your son is very lucky to have you for his mother and I suspect you will both thrive.    At 38 you have a whole new lifetime ahead of you.  Best of luck and Godspeed on your escape.

I was like you - 100% holding together a terrible marriage by myself - and then 100% dedicated to leaving when I finally saw how it was hurting my son and me.  It took me 2 months (while my gxh was away) to get out the door and get divorce started.

Just be careful you don't give anything away to your husband by being too jolly - they do sense when the ground is shifting under their feet. 

Take care and I hope you let us know how it all goes when you can.

Last edited by Soaplife (January 9, 2022 7:55 pm)

Board footera