OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 2, 2021 10:25 am  #191

Re: Probably sounds familiar

Hi Jamie, having a set amount paid into a specific account for family stuff is a good idea, even better if it can be done automatically at the payroll level. You don't want to have to constantly monitor her depositing her share on time.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

December 5, 2021 11:41 am  #192

I'm in a very similar situation to yours -- especially the growing old together part. I'm 67 and we've been together 30 years. I think often about the theory of great thinker Erik Erikson and his stage theory of psychosocial development. He says that, in the mid-60s, we can either contemplate our accomplishments and can develop integrity if we see ourselves as leading a successful life. On the other hand, individuals who reflect on their life and regret not achieving their goals will experience feelings of bitterness and despair. I often think the intense focus on sexuality is just a smokescreen, especially for older people for whom sex typically should be playing a smaller -- not bigger -- role in thier lives. 

December 5, 2021 12:43 pm  #193

I get what you are saying but I really do think it comes back to sexuality, the very fact that we are hurting on every level, comes down to the marriage.  Yes it is high stakes, the lack of sexual compatibility affects the straight in a way that it doesn't affect the one with same sex feelings.

A love match.  A straight with a straight - together we stand, divided we fall.  

I think the intensity is real.  We know the time is coming when physical expression of love is going to become muted by our fragility.

And whoever tried to sell the idea that sex doesn't matter to old people.  One of the most touching things I've seen footage of is a nurse leaning into a dying man - just think sexy thoughts, she said.

So yes, sexuality matters.  Matters more than money and prestige even.  Nothing can take away the losses but the sense I have is that it is entirely possible to be happy and successful in a new relationship despite it being on the back of all that.  Um, it's like what is happening matters more than the past in how we feel.

Last edited by lily (December 5, 2021 12:52 pm)

December 5, 2021 10:02 pm  #194

Thank you, Lily. During our long marriages many of us overlooked/suppressed/denied our sexuality to adapt to our husband's lack of interest in us. I take umbrage at the idea that by the time I was out of his closet I was too old to reclaim that part of my life.

Touch and intimacy are important to me and I expect will continue to be, Aging does make it likely that I will be alone at the end but I hope the memories of loving and having been loved will sustain me and erase the painful memories of the coldness in my marriage.

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

December 6, 2021 6:02 am  #195

As i said in my opening but, i am not ready to retire from affection/intimacy at 48 or at 68 (that bits new), if it all still works i want to be using it until it doesn't.
wat this has done to me as a man (and i am confident sort of chap but never been a james bond type of person), it has made me feel like the lack of affection and intimacy we both contributed to has made me feel like why would another lady want to be interested in me, i have all my friends saying the opposite but it doesn't take away from the fact that i think what we suffer is almost an abuse, intentional or not, having no idea why my wife slowly removed herself from our sexlife over 12 years with me thinking it was all about post natal depression and just "who she was", her being a lesbian gives every thing a context but it doesn't help me get over feeling like a hobgoblin.

December 6, 2021 6:33 am  #196

bit of an update, probably going to re-engage with the solicitors with full divorce with stbx leaving the equity in our house until it is sold further down the line(or i can somehow buy her out)

better news on me front, i have now almost entirely detached myself from her comings and goings, ambivalence is probably the best way to describe it so now she says she is gong out and aslong as it doesn't affect my plans i just nod/ok etc, i did give her a friendly warning about affording stuff soon as once we are on separate bank accounts all her new spending will be coming out from her money and she needs to save up for moving /legal fees etc, i did point out that together as a financial team we are very strong and now thats ending she is going to have to tighten her belt, dont really care if she listened or not.

i met a lady last friday, she knows all about my situation and is ok with it, it was so nice we spent three hours in a bar talking about all sorts and plan to do it again but we both want a very slow burn to start with, i gave her a very open and frank account of where i was with full disclosure/honesty, she asked me if i thought i was ready and my honest answer was i wont know until i try, she was ok with that as well.
going back to my above post i dont want to feel like an unlovable hobgoblin and as long as i dont use another human being just for my own purposes then i dont think i am rushing into anything or "doing it too soon"

December 6, 2021 12:51 pm  #197

No we are not "hobgoblins" and I could see that from just talking to strangers.  My GX called me garbage and gave me either rage or the silent treatment...

No we are worth more than they comphrehend..it angers and annoys them that their false reality is not perpetuated by others.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

December 14, 2021 9:45 am  #198

well its all under way now
went to see the solicitors and signed/paid for the divorce.

Cant say i imagined at the start of 2021 this would have been how its ending, certainly wasn't on my bucket list to get divorced and let my wife set fire to all our dreams and plans, but maybe they were never hers she just didn't have the bottle to say what she wanted.

So if it all works out as we have discussed i will get to keep my house for the time being and in that time try to work out a way of buying her out so i don't have to sell, at the moment i can only think of cashing in my pension.

coming out really is the gift that keeps on giving.

December 14, 2021 1:13 pm  #199

Well JB... I applaud how you have handled all that has happened

Sending you 🤗 hugs halfway across the world

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

December 14, 2021 2:27 pm  #200

yes it's horrible isn't it.  more hugs coming your way.  Hope things work out well for you Jamie, very much you deserve it.

Board footera