OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 4, 2021 8:44 pm  #1

​Just some random positive thoughts on boundaries.

"If someone communicates their boundaries, that is them trying to keep you in their life not push you away."

A friend of mine shared this quote and it really resonated with me. To me, the most important thing in any relationship is communication. When a partner is dishonest or has cheated, the only thing to do is try to start over. Creating boundaries is a big part of that. Even when no infidelity is involved, it can still feel like trust has been broken when you learn something about your partner that you didn't know. Deceit in any form can still feel like all trust is lost and you begin to question everything. You have to be willing to do all that it takes to rebuild the broken trust. And at times it may seem like what it takes is unfair. It may seem like you're asking to much of your partner. From the outside looking in it may seem like you are being controlling or demanding... but when trust is broken, sometimes it takes extreme measures to rebuild it. Boundaries are important and necessary in all aspects of life. They keep us safe and healthy. And sometimes when it feels safer just to walk away and leave it all behind, setting comfortable (even temporary) boundaries can help you heal and move forward together. I don't like to think of boundaries as permeant walls, I prefer to think of them as temporary bridges built over a broken dam so that it is still possible to get across. ❤

Straight wife to wonderful Bi husband 
20+ years together, out to me for 17+ 
Monogamous
https://www.morandmore.org/

November 21, 2021 12:41 pm  #2

Re: ​Just some random positive thoughts on boundaries.

Lovely quote and so universally applicable! This pertains to work, family, friends, spouses. It even works with self (there are some boundaries of my own behavior that I won't cross even if it does not affect anybody else). It is interesting to think of boundaries being able to adapt over time. If we change/move a boundary, does that mean we have broken it? (Depends of course....)

Board footera