OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 20, 2021 10:58 am  #1

I don’t think life could be better. It’s pretty dang amazing.

I’ve written about this before and some may be tired of hearing it, but periodically I think it’s good to put it out there again to show others that one can still have an incredible marriage even after finding out your spouse is bi. With that said, both people have to be in it FULLY (like with any marriage). I feel exceptionally lucky on a daily basis. I really do feel like I won the lottery with my amazing husband and family. I know it sounds crazy and corny, but I could not imagine a better life. We, as a couple, are the envy of many of our friends. We spend all our time together and are always going on adventures together and having fun (slightly less adventures recently due to Covid). I have friends that have told me how lucky I am to have my husband. My friends think he’s pretty damn amazing too. He is exceptionally loyal, consistent, and giving, and he always puts myself and our family first. Everything he does, he does for us. It’s been 30 years, it’s been a consistent and even keeled 30 years. Sure, there was a year that was rough because he finally accepted that he is bi. I’ve always suspected it. I knew he was consistent and loyal and even though I suspected he could be bi, it never bothered me. He wasn’t in a good place mentally when he came out, which is certainly understandable. He was dealing with a lot and dreading my possible negative reaction (rejection). I must admit I do think it was helpful that my husband didn’t hide things that told me he might not be quite straight. I do believe that he only came to accept the bi label in the past couple years. I won’t go into all the details on that, but I am certain he only concluded and accepted that label very recently. It’s interesting too, because when he hears of others people‘s definition of bisexual, he often doesn’t feel that fits him either. He has since taken on more specific, detailed labels like demisexual, heteromantic, and possibly heteroflexable, although he’s had no real life experiences. Now that my husband is able to fully be himself and know that he is not harshly judged or rejected, our relationship is even more amazing.

Tangled

July 22, 2021 12:49 pm  #2

Re: I don’t think life could be better. It’s pretty dang amazing.

Great post TangledOil! I can honestly say as well that my husband and I have a stronger better relationship since he came out as bisexual. Seeing him become comfortable with himself and know that I love and accept him for who he is has been transformative. We have been together almost 18 years and I have known he was bi for about 14 years. It has been a very rocky road but mostly due to my own misunderstanding of bisexuality and all that it entails. Not every situation is alike. Not every person is the same. Just like no two relationships or people in general are alike. My husband is my best friend and my ride or die. I would not change anything about him. I understand that infidelity changes some things. But it also does not mean an automatic doom on an otherwise wonderful relationship. Sometimes people are just bad and dishonest, but sometimes people are just scared and confused and don't know how to best handle things alone. I am so grateful that I didn't ditch my husband all those years ago. I would have been throwing away the best thing in my life. 

Last edited by CMaree23 (July 22, 2021 12:50 pm)

Straight wife to wonderful Bi husband 
20+ years together, out to me for 17+ 
Monogamous
https://www.morandmore.org/

July 23, 2021 4:21 pm  #3

Re: I don’t think life could be better. It’s pretty dang amazing.

Thank you, CMaree. It certainly doesn’t work for every relationship. Every relationship is individual, no two alike, regardless of the orientation of the individuals. I know I could have just as easily been in a straight/straight marriage that failed. I have many friends in straight/straight marriages that ended in divorce or they are still together and miserable. There is no right or wrong. Each person/couple needs to do what’s best for them. I’m glad we both stuck this out and are doing well. I’m glad you and your husband are doing well also… and it’s great that your 14+ years out.

Tangled

Last edited by TangledOil (July 23, 2021 4:27 pm)

Board footera