OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 7, 2021 7:38 pm  #1

Looking for advice on what to do next

Hi there, 

I'm new to this page and I'm reaching out to see if I could meet people who've experienced the same thing as me and understand how to move forward. I'm a 29-year-old male from New Brunswick, Canada.

In the fall my girlfriend of 3.5 years began questioning her sexuality. At first, she came out as bisexual and then a couple of months later told me she might be gay. After months of trying to work through it together, she finally came to the realization that she is gay and we could no longer be together. We were planning on moving back to British Columbia in the spring together and starting a new life together. She moved to BC in March and is now seeing someone else. I'm staying here for now. 

I've been really struggling with coping with this situation. I don't really understand what my life will look like moving forward. Up until March, I was planning on leaving here and starting a new life with the love of my life. Now I just really feel stuck, depressed, and pretty hopeless. I don't really find much enjoyment or meaning in life anymore. I have had to go on anti-depressants now and have had multiple thoughts of suicide since late February.

All I really wanted in life was to make a family of my own with someone who I loved. This whole experience has just made me feel like I'm not worthy or deserving of that at all. I mean I did everything right and still I end up being left. 

So I'm just reaching out I guess in an effort to try and understand ...

How do you trust love/relationships again?
How do I cope with the feeling of unworthiness and lack of self-esteem (especially sexual self-esteem)?
Is it possible to find what I'm looking for but not make the mistake of meeting the wrong person?
How did you find enjoyment in life after your previous partner left you?

Thanks,

Evan

June 7, 2021 7:49 pm  #2

Re: Looking for advice on what to do next

Welcome to our Forum

Rejection sucks. Do you have anybody to talk to about this... sister, brother, friend?

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

June 7, 2021 7:52 pm  #3

Oh and another question....is the person she's seeing a man or woman,
or don't you know?

KIA KAHA                       

June 7, 2021 9:08 pm  #4

Hi Evan,

Sorry this happened to you. My situation was different (my ex-husband was a closeted gay man). The shock and hurt is the same. It threw me for a loop.

Repeating what Elle said — do you have family or friends you can tell? Do you have a therapist. It helps to have support to heal from this.

Maybe take an hour daily to think about this and spend the rest of the day doing activities you enjoy. Getting outdoors for exercise gives me a new perspective. Not sure if you’re under lockdown in your area.  When it lifts you may want to go out. Maybe to a cafe to people watch.  This can be a low-stress way to meet new people.

When you start dating, it doesn’t hurt to ask someone if they are bi or questioning.  Being upfront at the start helps.

You are lucky you didn’t marry her and discover she was gay after a few years of marriage. You are young enough to start over.  You have your whole life ahead of you.

Take care!

Best,
Maria

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

June 7, 2021 9:29 pm  #5

Just wanted to reiterate what Maria said...You have sooo much life ahead of you. I promise you that this will be but a mirage in your rearview mirror one day. Until then, you definitely need an empathetic ear...whether that's a counselor or a good friend. Some people here have had great success with trauma therapy. Journaling, meditation, and exercise help, too...Now, more than ever, you need to be kind and patient with yourself. Your heart will heal in time. 

Last edited by Julian_Stone (June 7, 2021 9:32 pm)

June 8, 2021 1:29 am  #6

I know you don’t feel lucky right now.  This sucks and I’m so sorry you are going through it.

You are luckier than some of us who got married and had kids and who suffered through years of abuse trying to please their unpleasable partners…

But given where you are, it is hard to feel lucky.

I wish my GIDXW had done exactly what your girlfriend has done.  And I know that had she done it, I would have been miserable then too.

I’m on your side.  I understand what this is like.  It sucks. 

Try to find your place of grace.  With a wiser heart, you will find a better lover.

June 8, 2021 8:25 am  #7

These changes can leave us feeling adrift so I think the goal is to find ourselves. Once we're comfortable with ourselves and our choices, we can move on to new experiences. Kudos on realizing you needed help. I hope this means you are building up a support network of friends, family, doctors, etc. (If not, please check out the 1st Aid kit post that is pinned in the General Section of this board.) Hopefully the country is about to get past the worst of the pandemic so what does that mean to you? Think about what YOU want to do this fall. Are you planning on remaining in NB? Where are your friends/family? How does your career fit into all this? Perhaps start with small goals and work towards the larger ones. It's easy to question yourself after something like this but I think it makes most of us a bit wiser and more able to participate in a new relationship. More than one person here have been able to move past this and are happily involved in new relationships. You can do this as well, just give it some time for the wounds to heal. I think the key is to become the kind of person you like to be with. Stick around, vent, ask questions, share experiences with others here, it all helps.

Last edited by Daryl (June 8, 2021 8:25 am)

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

June 8, 2021 11:48 am  #8

First off, I wanted to thank everyone for your responses and support. This whole experience has really been painful and is not only affecting my mental wellness but my financial wellness as well.

I do have a decent support network here. I started seeing a psychologist in February and have been working with her ever since (it helps that my medical insurance covers my appointment 100% with no limit on my # of visits). My friends have been helpful although they’re all busy and don’t have a lot of time to hang out and such.

The person that my previous partner is now seeing is non-binary (female assigned at birth). I tried dating again too but I haven’t really found myself being able to make a connection with someone (like I did with my previous partner) in a way that I want to pursue a relationship with them (maybe it’s too soon). But I also think my heart is super protective right now like it doesn’t want to invest in something that isn’t sure and to be honest I don’t really feel like my life is fulfilling if I can’t spend it with someone else.

I was wondering if any of you could share how you started to find fulfillment in life and relationships after your experiences? How did were you able to trust again? How were you able to be sure this wouldn’t happen again?

I know that I want to be alive it’s just really hard to find any enjoyment in life these days.

June 8, 2021 2:31 pm  #9

erichtsf wrote:

......I was wondering if any of you could share how you started to find fulfillment in life and relationships after your experiences? How did were you able to trust again? How were you able to be sure this wouldn’t happen again?......

I put so much into my r'ship of 32 years that I won't trust another man not to do the same thing. So. As far as trust goes I have that covered  
As far as support goes I'm okay, in fact my partner (yes the man I won't trust with my heart ever again) and I are still together in some kind of weird I-can't-leave-until-you-do dance, because we both have our reasons for staying together. I don't know his reasons because he won't talk about it and I won't because fuck it! I used to do all the talking trying to get him to open up and I'm over it. And I have family who know what's happening for support should/when I decide to move my life away from what it is now.

This (my) situation is what you've been able to avoid by the woman you thought was yours forever coming out and admitting to you she would never be totally yours if she stayed with you. Difficult for you to understand at the moment but in time you'll be able to acknowledge it.

It took me 3 years to admit to myself our/my/his life would never be the same again. I gave him a year after that to open a conversation about it, an honest discussion without basing it on sex or the lack of it. He hasn't said a word so it's a good thing we can live together til one of us cracks. 

Erich....do you exercise? Because movement and deep-breathing are critical when your world has fallen apart

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

June 8, 2021 3:58 pm  #10

I was thinking this morning about how the wonderful woman my son married and how totally random their ever meeting was. He had moved to an area where he did not know anyone and had tried online dating sites and was not meeting anyone who sparked his interest.

He was on a trip when he met a woman who was not dating anyone and was in the area for a quick break,  They got talking and discovered that they had similar interests and goals. Then they went back to their everyday lives but couldn't forget each other.

They did the long-distance thing for a while before they realized they needed to be together more. He could relocated and she couldn't so he got a job and apartment where she was. When their leases were up they rented a house together and a few years later married.

My point is that you never know when or where you might meet that special someone. Be yourself, take the time to heal from this relation ship. Trust comes with time and experiencing consistency and honesty,  with you and in how your friend treats other people.

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

Board footera