OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 25, 2021 8:43 pm  #1

NEED SUPPORT

I'm trying really hard to be stay strong and not fall apart. Im so confused and so lost! My mind wont stop racing! 
My relationship of 4 1/2 years ended in an instant. WAS THE WHOLE RELATIONSHIP A LIE?! I just don't understand this! My relationship was absolutely perfect, friends and family were JEALOUS of us! He was every single moms dream come true!!! He loved my daughter like she was his own, he loved me SO much! 
He told me if I didn't find what I found that we would still be together! He would have stayed with me forever all while doing what he was doing in secret! He said he had these feelings since he was a little boy and NO ONE ever knew! 
I feel used and lied to! I feel ashamed! I feel SO STUPID! I miss the relationship I thought I had! He put himself SO deep into the lives of a mother and child, and why? when he knew all along what he was doing? 
THERE WERE NOOOOO WARNING SIGNS!!!!! 

Last edited by BR1 (May 25, 2021 8:45 pm)

May 26, 2021 12:10 am  #2

Re: NEED SUPPORT

Hi BRI - I am so, so sorry. First of all, you are not stupid, you were manipulated. I understand the feelings of shame but urge you to consider they are not yours to bear. His secret keeping is about his trauma, his insecurities, his context. It not a reflection on your worth (or, of course, your daughter's!); Nor his purported love for you or her. This is so hard to consider, but so vital. Holding up two paradigms here: one that acknowledges fundamental wrongdoing on his part towards you AND one that acknowledges the challenges our hetero-normative society puts forth that makes it so hard for honesty to prevail. Why? Possibly because he really hoped he could make it so... You have every right to feel angry, missing and used. I do as well.  And... I dig deep for compassionate understanding, which serves me, emotionally, to find.  I find great validation in the work of Dr. Omar Minwalla in discussing : compusive, abusive, sexual relational disorder (CASRD); particularly in noting the trauma experienced by the partners.  Again, I am so sorry. 

May 26, 2021 5:07 am  #3

You are not stupid.  You have nothing to be ashamed of.  You were lied to and manipulated by a master who has spent a lifetime hiding his sexuality and deceiving others by creating an ideal image behind which he can hide his clandestine activities. His telling you that the problem wasn't his secret life, his behavior, but you finding out about it is further abuse--but it does give you a glimpse behind his mask, allowing you to see that rather than confront his deception of you and take responsibility for it, he is quick to blame you instead.  (AKA: "It's not what I did; it's your reaction to it.")  

I second Dandelion's suggestion that you seek out the work of Dr. Omar Minwalla.  His post on "The Secret Sexual Basement" will validate your feelings and help you see that the problem is not you.  You can search for it by that title on this site, as there is a link.  

Of course you miss the man you thought you had, and the relationship you thought you were in!  The image he projected for you, and for everyone else, was crafted to deceive, and he was very skilled at knowing just what image would best protect his secret life.  He fooled everyone, not just you.  

May 26, 2021 5:16 am  #4

Br1,

It is a shock.  Many of us gave a lifetime and had kids with these partners..so there was no sign.

Read the first aid thread.  My advice is to not own the shame..we loved fiercely and loyally.  We were all in.
They were not. 

Hard to see now but this is God getting you away from further hurt.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

May 26, 2021 10:49 am  #5

BR1,

Am so sorry this happened to you. You did not deserve this.

You have been a victim of fraud in this relationship. This person lied to you about his real intentions. You are not stupid at all. The shame is his to carry for manipulating your heart and mind. These people are great actors. Even a certified genius would be fooled.

I know it hurts like nothing else has. Talk to a friend, a counselor, your family about this. Most importantly cut this guy out of your life completely. Block him on your phone, send his emails to spam. Go no contact. Protect your child from seeing or talking to him. It will help you heal more quickly and completely.

Once these losers enter your life, they don’t want to let go. True even if they’re the ones who break it off. They have some sick need to hurt others to feel better about themselves.  They need to do this constantly.  He may say he’s sorry or give some sob story why he said what he did.He needs to talk.  It’s bs. He wants to get at you and your child to hurt you another time.

Post here as often as you need. Again, am so sorry this happened.

Take care,
Maria

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

May 26, 2021 2:25 pm  #6

I'm overwhelmed with the support I felt reading the responses. Honestly I was so embarrassed that I was making excuses for him like, "This isn't a site for me, he's not really gay"
Im happy I pushed myself to start my post because I already feel much better.  While reading I was accepting the hurt. I was coming to terms with my situation and I felt cared about and understood! felt like you guys have my back. Im going through so many emotions. Im trying to hate him, but I also feel bad for him. Im not a hateful person but I hate what he did to us and the lie that he was! I really do feel bad for him because he is not able to be who he really wants to be, he's ashamed and I know because from what I found and what he said to me, but in the same sentence he says he's NOT gay. 
I haven't spoken with him for a few weeks now, and its for the best. I found myself calling and crying to him but when I hung up I felt stupid. He still wanted to be friends and even still keep his relationship with my daughter. He was saying things that were concerning me like, " I guess you guys are going to hate me now". but honestly am I NOT supposed to ?? or "I'm in this situation bec I just had to go through his bank statements, that I was TRYING to find things" but I DID find things not even thinking I was bec it was a mistake that I even did!!!! He was trying to still keep us in his life by not leaving me "hanging" and helping me pay bills he was always taking care of before, but still having the control over me! So... I need to cut off all ties and figure out how I will move forward by myself!

I still feel like I'm shocked and its all too hard to believe this happened! He was SOOOO GOOD at what he did! SOSOSO good at it! He had everyone fooled! I would NEVER have dreamed he was cheating on me at all !!! On top of this all he knew all I had been through in my past, divorced an abusive husband.... got myself and my daughter free from him and it took a lot! He used my heart and kindness to his advantage! He went as far as always telling me how he isn't like him and he'd never hurt us in any way! I'm so deeply hurt by him. He hurt my daughter!

May 26, 2021 3:54 pm  #7

@BR1 - Sorry you find yourself here. This definitely an emotional rollercoaster to be deceived and manipulated into thinking the person who you married is not who they really are. Many of us often question was our whole marriage based on a lie. I would have to say to a point as our partners were not their true selves.

I also thought I had the "perfect" relationship. Everyone was jealous and wanted our compatible and love we had for each other. All of this came crashing down, when I was blindsided he was trans and now a bi-transwoman after 16 years together. This was true shock to my heart and life.

He knew ALL along what he was doing. He didn't want the world to know and hide it so well. Do not beat yourself up as he portayed himself to you and you only could see at face value of what that presentation was.

I know this is so difficult to deal with especially with a child involved. These closeted spouses do everything to protect their secret and will lie, deceive, gaslight the entire world (family,friends including themselves) before they are ready to reveal the truth. Mine was going to live with his "secret" till the day he died, but he couldn't handle it and broke. I found out the worst way. You can read my story.

I would caution you on the contact. I thought I could remains friends and be close with my STBX; however I realize that he doesn't value who I am. It's been almost 6 months and my roller coaster still has highs and lows. I realize now as close as we were, I thought I could be close to him but there's too much deceit, hurt and anger.  I'm beginning to realize no contact is best and I too have called him crying to feel stupid later. It's emotions and a shock to our system. I feel like I still need to contact my "abuser", but why when it is hurting me.

Please take care of yourself!

Last edited by LostAtSea (May 26, 2021 3:56 pm)

May 26, 2021 3:57 pm  #8

Just a few thoughts.... It's OK to hate someone's actions. It doesn't mean you have to hate the person. I never hated my ex, just some of the choices she made, and it's more of a sadness/disappointment than hate.

You may never get an admission from him about being gay. Best not to dwell on it and focus on what you need to be happy and healthy in a relationship. It also sounds like he either wants you to change your mind or make you feel guilty about it. Don't allow yourself to be manipulated.

Money - that can be a bit of a control factor. Suggest he just send X $ per month to your account if he's so concerned about you and your daughter. It's not a good idea to let him access your bills or have things like that in his name. Another thing you can ponder upon - in some jurisdictions, a common law relationship can result in an obligation to provide the same level of child support as a biological parent would have to. Keep in mind that might also opens the door to a certain amount of child visitation rights. It sounds like you might not want to go there but the more you know, the better choices you can make.

Don't tear yourself down for not detecting this in advance. Sometimes our spouses are like professional actors. Some have been carefully hiding for so long while presenting another person that it becomes normal for them. Some will protect that secret to the end.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

May 27, 2021 11:55 am  #9

First off so sorry you had this happen. Glad that you have found support here.

Totally get how it messes with your head that the person you met was so great and then it all falls away. You aren’t stupid. I’ve beat myself up about the same thing that after the bad first marriage and thinking I was so careful to find a compatible partner that I fell for a bunch of lies. It’s rough but from the situation you describe the purpose was for it to be tailored for you to believe it.

Lot of support here which I hope continues to help.

May 31, 2021 10:29 am  #10

Thank you so much everyone!

Board footera