OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 23, 2021 2:12 pm  #1

On handling a marriage breakdown in lockdown

Hi everyone, this is my first post even though I’ve been visiting this forum on and off for over a decade.

In January 2020 my husband of 12 years announced that he wanted to love and be loved by a man. He had come out as bisexual during our marriage which was a surprise but we committed to therapy and he assured me that he wanted to be married to me and have a family with me. So I felt blindsided and I was devastated. We separated immediately and shortly after he admitted that he had cheated on me every year of our 14 years together. I am in therapy now to heal from the damage that has been done to my self-esteem and self-worth. . I’m trying to heal from being in love with someone for my whole adult life who didn’t really love me back the way I deserved.  ​

I’m trying to move on but I have two young children (ages 7 and 2) and learning how to be a single parent during this pandemic and also trying to take care of my mental health has been challenging. 

He began dating within the week of the separation and before he had even moved out of the marital home he began a relationship with another man. That ended and two more followed. I want him to be able to live the life that he feels he was denied when he was married to me but currently we live in a place that is under lockdown due to the pandemic. As part of our separation agreement he is required to inform me of changes to our bubble or household so when we were ordered to lockdown for 6 weeks he told me he wants his new boyfriend to join our household. I said I wasn’t comfortable with it as our household is already so convoluted with kids going back and forth between our two homes but he keeps bringing it up. I have become tired of being pestered about it and then treated like the bad guy for wanting to keep our household closed during this public health emergency. I’ve enlisted the help of a mediator and my counsellor and friends are supportive. I’m just tired and unhappy and also dealing with intense loneliness during this lockdown. I just want peace from him.

Things are tough in Canada with these lockdowns and inefficient vaccine rollouts so it’s easy to lose hope. I’m not sure what I’m looking for here but my therapist said I should reach out. I know things are hard for everyone right now so thank you for reading if you’ve made it this far. 

April 23, 2021 2:42 pm  #2

Re: On handling a marriage breakdown in lockdown

Rosie,

I’m sorry you’re going through this, but glad to see you’re reaching out. This is a good place to do it. We’ve all been through at least something similar.

My husband cheated with men the first 15 1/2 years of our marriage, too. I had no idea, either. Unlike you, however, I had NO idea he was bisexual, so it was a BIG surprise when I found he was searching for dates online. It went from there (very LONNNG story short). He did  stop seeing men when I found out. Not because he wanted to, but after I found out, I set boundaries if we were to have a marriage, and the first was no more cheating. Also, unlike your husband, he didn’t want a relationship with the men, only oral sex. (After they were through, he always just left- they never even had lunch- he didn’t even know their last names). But, since your husband wants the whole relationship, I can sure see why it had to end so quickly.
Now, the lockdown and wanting to bring the boyfriend into the home...wow. I understand it’s two households, but if the two of you are still married, you have a say-so since your children are involved. How do you feel about having his boyfriend as a 2nd dad and you aren’t even divorced. Do what YOU want for the children in this case. He’s getting what HE wants in the rest of it.... just a suggestion. I didn’t mean to make it sound like an order. I don’t usually give advice, just share experience, strength & hope.
I hope you can find a solution you are comfortable with. I wouldn’t say yes to something I couldn’t live with myself. It’s totally up to you.
All the best to you
(((((HUGS)))))

Last edited by SusanneH (April 24, 2021 3:02 pm)

April 23, 2021 5:39 pm  #3

Health and safety of the kids, and by extension, those whom they come into contact with, should be the paramount concern for both of you. Many of us have not seen friends or family in over a year. He's being selfish.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

April 23, 2021 10:29 pm  #4

Hello Rosie,

Your ex needs to get his priorities clear. He and his bf of the moment can be themselves (and infect each other and other gay men) in their own household.

Keep your kids safe & healthy. No 24-hour party people allowed.

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

April 24, 2021 9:52 am  #5

Dear Rosie,
   I want you to be able to live the life YOU were denied while you were married to him, and that means limiting the people in your household in order to minimize the chance you and your children will be infected (or that your children will be infected and asymptomatic and bring the infection home to you).  

It's unsurprising your husband is being unreasonable, selfish, refusing to do what is necessary to protect you, and then hassling you about it.  After all, this is a man who cheated on you and exposed you to the risk of sexually transmitted infections for fourteen years.  (I hope you have had your doctor complete an STI panel.) 

Have you tried suggesting an alternative?  Namely, that if it's so important for him to see his boyfriend that he forego seeing his children and let them stay with you exclusively for the length of the lockdown?  I imagine that won't sit well with him, but he shouldn't have his boyfriend at the price of increasing the risk to you.  As you have the mediator involved, put this alternative before the mediator.  Why should his pleasure come at the risk of your life?  

April 29, 2021 2:13 pm  #6

Thank you all for your replies and support. 

I wanted to share an update that we had a meeting with a mediator who was very helpful. I felt that she allowed me to voice my anxieties, not just over the potential exposure a new adult could bring, but also the anxieties I have felt since becoming a single parent not that long ago. This is all so new for me and going through it in a pandemic has really hindered, if not stagnated, my processing and healing.

He kept pushing for his bf to be added to the household (he would still live in his own house so we would ultimately be one household but under 3 roofs.) I was consistent and concise that I’m not comfortable with it and the bf is not an essential caregiver to the children so I don’t feel the benefit. 

The mediator said that as long as I’m not comfortable his plan cannot proceed and we have agreed that during lockdown the “household” will be just myself, him and our two kids. He is so upset with me. I receive the silent treatment everyday when he is here to take over with the kids so I can work. In mediation he stated that he believed that my reasoning has as much to do with not wanting him to have someone but it’s not true. If that were true I could have easily made the divorce so messy and painful for him but it has been peaceful and compassionate. Prior to lockdown, I was fine with the two of them seeing each other with precautions.  

Knowing that someone believes me to be petty and homophobic and treating me with coldness is worse than being lonely in all this isolation right now but I think I made the right choice for my family. 

Thanks for your support.

April 29, 2021 2:52 pm  #7

OutofHisCloset wrote:

Dear Rosie,
   I want you to be able to live the life YOU were denied while you were married to him 

100% this, Rosie. You deserve the life and love YOU were denied while you were married to him.

April 29, 2021 3:43 pm  #8

Hi Rosie,

I’m glad common sense prevailed.  You stood your ground. (Yay!)

You are following correct medical protocol to keep you and your kids safe. It’s too bad your ex is so self-centered. He’s not modeling mature behavior to your kids to say the least.

I know it hurts. It’s annoying. (My GIDXH used me call me conservative & not hip out of nowhere.I now understand why.) 

I would say enjoy the silence. What can you say to a child in an adult’s body anyway? Sending you and your kids good thoughts.  😊

Best,
Maria

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

April 30, 2021 12:16 pm  #9

Rosie, 

I agree with Maria and lwh. You did the right thing. And, you can be proud of yourself for standing up for what you believed to be right and heathy for you and your children. 

You’ll be just fine!

Susanne

Board footera