OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 14, 2021 7:06 pm  #11

Re: What is it like for you after/later/downstream/moving forward??

I moved out of the house and into the chook shed at the bottom of the garden.  It was my own roof over my head and I liked it a lot (converted from chickens to my studio, and I moved my bed into it as well).  so there I am negotiating the separation via email and looking for a new place to live and whoomph, it happened, that magic moment that makes your whole life make sense.  I fell in love, the big one.  

someone I had known for a long time, and his wife has left him at the same time as I am getting divorced.  We never even kissed.  I was up a rainforest valley on the other side of the earth and he was sailing his boat across the ocean. Three weeks later she came back to him.  

I completed the separation, bought a house.  It is by the sea.  The first night I slept here I recognised that a level of stress I had been living with, not even really recognising it as such, instantly eased.  omg, I felt more peaceful, I felt more relaxed, I slept well.  I seriously appreciated being able to lie on the living room carpet and bawl my eyes out.  I had to face my fears of loneliness, loneliness hurts living alone is not the same and I met a nice neighbour who gave me tips on how to look after yourself, we have become friends,  I have settled in here.  I am in the final stages of completing a white clay sculpture of a mermaid - sort of sums me up.

Inside myself, I still feel connected to the man I fell in love with.  

Last edited by lily (April 14, 2021 7:15 pm)

April 14, 2021 8:04 pm  #12

I'm a bit like you except I left in my thirties and my ex recently passed away. He only came out in the year before he died though supposedly was on that relationship for 11 years.

When I left, I had dreams of meeting a straight man who would love me and perhaps have more children. At first things would seem good but would fall to crap. First one was gambling addict and womanizer. There were couple others all starting ok and ending badly.

Even women I know in straight marriages end up with sexless ones eventually.

I'm at a vulner a ble time so cant gaurantee I can thinking straight, but I definitely have regrets and sadness. I had this for months after leaving and forced myself eventually to "get on with my life."

I don't know where to from here. I have reason not to trust men and I'm not gay myself. I have surrounded myself with beloved pets, work full-time and eventually got my own home.

I have regrets for chasing a fantasy relationship. My husband was my best friend for many years. I'm struggling though will be okay.

I feel old and tired right now.

April 15, 2021 6:39 pm  #13

Hi Jo,

I was wondering what the similarity was except I realised we are both in our 60's having dreamed of love only to find ourselves in abusive relationships and now on our own.

yes it hurts.  But no I do not have regrets for wanting to be loved rather than used.  

you have had several unsuccessful relationships, I have had one very long one and so I am under no illusion how bad it was getting and I am simply grateful to have got away from him.  He seemed like he was my best friend, I believed he was for ever so long but it was only a fantasy he peddled.

April 16, 2021 2:03 pm  #14

Trying to find a new normal has been hard.  Especially in a pandemic.

I am now divorced from my narcissist-gay-in-denial-ex-wife.  Divorce process took two and a half years, 7 lawyers, and four mediators.  I finally got the payout for my share of the equity in the house after she tried to stiff me my half.  Lawyers were expensive but worth it.  I finally just got to the point where I did everything through the lawyers - even knowing it was costing me at least $25 for each email they wrote.  If my emotionally-abusive-narcissist-gay-in-denial-ex-wife wanted to emotionally abuse me via text or email, I finally learned to go grey rock and forward it on to my lawyer.

My controlling-and-emotionally-abusive-narcissist-gay-in-denial-ex-wife could push my buttons like nobody else.  I could be as calm as the Buddha, walk in the door, and within five minutes, she’d have me spitting blood from my eyes.  So to speak.

Now, I haven’t felt that kind of insane pressure in a couple years.  Calm now, I realized I had been cheated out of an emotionally and sexually fulfilling partnership.  I wanted to see if I could find a better partner for me.

So I went on the dating apps.  More than two dozen first dates.  A couple second dates.  When she heard my ex wife had been a closeted lesbian, one very attractive woman told me she thought it would be impossible for me to ever recover from that.  Fun.  Mostly, I learned that people don’t understand what a straight spouse goes through.

Was she right?  Is recovery truly impossible?  Hmm...

As my marriage was breaking down, I had been seeing a therapist and I really liked her.  My therapist was a woman who had been married to a man and was now married to a woman.  It didn’t bother me one bit at the time.  However, when our 9-yo daughter accidentally found the sexts and my lying-cheating-controlling-emotionally-abusive-narcissist-gay-in-denial-ex-wife (LCCEANGIDX) was forced to finally come out, I also had to stop seeing my therapist.  I understand that our society is cruel.  I was always going out of my way to incorporate lgbtq people into my life but now I find that I no longer give a fuck about lgbtq issues.  Waaaay more important than sexual orientation and identity is kindness, empathy and thoughtfulness.

Back on the dating apps, I finally met a gorgeous girl who seemed to be totally attracted to me.  I say ‘seemed to be’ because deep down, I think I found it odd that a woman can actually be sexually attracted to a man.  I don’t find men attractive at all, so it made sense to me that nobody would.  My new girlfriend and I had a lot of sex, and each time, I felt an odd mix of disbelief and relief.

Great sex is great, but obviously, there is a lot more to partnership, and I have been learning just how damaged I actually was by my marriage to a closeted lesbian. 

For one thing, in my marriage to a LCCEANGIDX, I was always to blame for her dissatisfaction.  She would use any reason to express her displeasure with me.  So anything I said could and would be used against me and anything I DIDN’T say could and would be used against me.  Grey rock was always my go-to survival skill.

Learning to actually communicate my needs, desires, and fears has been extremely tough - more difficult than finding sexual fulfillment.  Learning to navigate the open communication aspect has been harder than I anticipated.

Things were going well with my new girlfriend.  She encouraged me to live my truth and I was doing that.  Then, I got vaccinated for covid w/o discussing it with my gf first.  I snagged a last minute vaccination slot and got the shot.  And then that night, I told my girlfriend what I had done.  And she was furious and hurt and broke up with me.

From my POV, I was doing what I needed to do for my own health, wellness and survival.  I knew she was dubious about vaccines, but I didn’t realize my gf was such a rabid anti-vaxxer.  It was not enough that I could simply respect her choice and hope that she could respect mine.  Now she refused to exchange any bodily fluids with me because I was now tainted somehow.  Ugh.

Needless to say, this whole discovery/divorce/recovery process has been extremely difficult.  I don’t feel much joy in life.  At best, I am numb.  At worst, I am depressed and lonely.  Intellectually, I know that I am finally free and that there are lots of doors in front of me to open and walk through.  However, I certainly feel overwhelmed by this freedom.  I would like to find a new normal that nourishes and rewards me, but I still don’t know how this is going to happen.

I keep thinking about the attractive date who told me my recovery was impossible.  I think she was wrong, and I’d still like to prove her wrong.  But I do have my doubts.  What if she was right?

April 16, 2021 5:38 pm  #15

Victo wrote:

Trying to find a new normal has been hard. Especially in a pandemic.

Was she right? Is recovery truly impossible? Hmm...

Learning to actually communicate my needs, desires, and fears has been extremely tough - more difficult than finding sexual fulfillment. Learning to navigate the open communication aspect has been harder than I anticipated.

Things were going well with my new girlfriend. She encouraged me to live my truth and I was doing that. Then, I got vaccinated for covid w/o discussing it with my gf first. I snagged a last minute vaccination slot and got the shot. And then that night, I told my girlfriend what I had done. And she was furious and hurt and broke up with me.

From my POV, I was doing what I needed to do for my own health, wellness and survival. I knew she was dubious about vaccines, but I didn’t realize my gf was such a rabid anti-vaxxer. It was not enough that I could simply respect her choice and hope that she could respect mine. Now she refused to exchange any bodily fluids with me because I was now tainted somehow. Ugh.

Needless to say, this whole discovery/divorce/recovery process has been extremely difficult. I don’t feel much joy in life. At best, I am numb. At worst, I am depressed and lonely. Intellectually, I know that I am finally free and that there are lots of doors in front of me to open and walk through. However, I certainly feel overwhelmed by this freedom. I would like to find a new normal that nourishes and rewards me, but I still don’t know how this is going to happen.

I keep thinking about the attractive date who told me my recovery was impossible. I think she was wrong, and I’d still like to prove her wrong. But I do have my doubts. What if she was right?

I think you are forever changed as we are by all events in our lives.  I think you have proven that you have gained insight and be comfortable with changes in perspective - like realizing you don't have to go out of your way for LGBT acceptance - if the person is a good person great - LGBT or not.

Unfortunately, dating is a bitch.  You connected well on some level with the anti-vaxxer.  Be glad that she showed those true colors.  From my perspective, what you did was fine/sensible.  I know people have strong feelings both ways.  I'm just saying her going wild over that is not just about the vaccine - it's about, from my perspective, overreacting to a grown man making his own decisions.

You'll find someone at first it will be Ms. Right Now, but eventually it will be Ms. Right.

April 16, 2021 6:05 pm  #16

Victo, sorry but also glad like Carly said that she has shown her true colours.  sounds like she subjected you to a hissy fit.  She could belong to the Q-anon conspiracies group.  the two women I know who are in it are both gayindenial.  Does she talk about MSM as something to stay away from?  It's not rational and oh I dunno how to put it, unsettling I guess - the way simple logic, ground we stand on, the evidence before our eyes is swooshed away.  

and, ooh really - who wants to date that attractive woman telling you you can't recover.  Big red 'now let me put him on the back foot' flag right there, isn't it?

You sound like a great guy, Victo.  I hope you find a good partner soon, you deserve it.

Last edited by lily (April 16, 2021 6:08 pm)

April 17, 2021 2:58 pm  #17

Thank you, Lily.

I think my primary issue with personal healing right now is that I really have no idea of the actual size and shape of the damage I have suffered.  My need for healing is like an iceberg.  There is a certain amount that is obvious and visible, but I really don’t know yet how deep and wide it is below the surface.

For example, I knew all along in my marriage that my sexual needs were not being met.  That much was obvious.  Still, I assumed for years that this was just a byproduct of being married.  Married couples often say they don’t have enough sex.  But then I read a statistic that had been based on a large survey sample size of married couples describing their sexual routines and I realized just how below-the-norm our sex life actually was. 8 times in 2 years while allegedly ‘attempting to get pregnant’ was statistically ludicrous. It easily met the definition of a ‘sexless marriage’.  (Before this, I had assumed that a marriage that featured occasional sex couldn’t be defined as ‘sexless’.  Alas.  Many marriages where both partners were dissatisfied with their sex lives were nevertheless clocking between 50-100 times a year!)

So the obvious solution for healing from this seemed to be to find someone else to have a lot of sex with.  Miraculously, I found someone like that and proceeded to attempt to heal.  And in the heat of passion, the carnal connection did seem to help reset some of the issues I was facing.  It melted off a bit of the iceberg visible above the water line.

But the damage from the emotional abuse of being with a LCCEANGIDX for almost two decades simply cannot be healed by some much needed hetero sex.  There was (and still is) a much larger iceberg of damage lurking below.

I find that I am still quite nervous about expressing my real feelings, needs, desires and fears.  I realize that while my LCCEANGIDX was actively lying to me for decades, I too was not being truly truthful.

When asked, say, ‘Does this outfit make me look fat?’, I would smile warmly and say ‘of course not’ and put my arms around her.  But deep down, I likely thought to myself ‘that poor outfit has nothing to do with it.’  (Perhaps, Lily, this doesn’t make me such a great guy after all).  I never ever wanted to be cruel to my partner so I always kept my mouth shut about what could be perceived as her faults.  My hope was that she would show similar restraint toward me but it never quite worked out that way.  Similarly, if I ever expressed aloud a personal desire or need, she would make a mental note of it and then use it against me when our cold war would flare up into hot conflict.  Nothing was sacred to her when it came to an opportunity to belittle me, and she seemed to love nothing more than to purposefully deny me something I had expressed a desire for, or mock me for a dream of mine I had not managed to make real.

Essentially, I learned to keep my mouth shut about everything, and in doing so, I surrendered my reality to my LCCEANGIDX’s closet.

So how does a person who has been a grey rock for decades learn to open up and become generous and vulnerable again?  How does an iceberg finally get fully melted?

April 17, 2021 5:24 pm  #18

I had a similarly sexless marriage.  Looking back I can see that he both made me feel at fault for not initiating sex and at fault for wanting more affection, I was being too needy.  In other words, if I tried to approach him I was rebuffed - it was of course all my fault.

I still get shocked at times when I look back and see how mean he was to me.  I turned a blind eye to it without counting or even really noticing, just feeling the hurt and yes like you I was excoriated over every and any perceived failing.

There is of course a whole lot more to it but in a sense it's like what we got is a bruising from being bent out of shape but it's homeostasis - once the bending stops it's only natural to revert to shape.  We are naturally self-healing.  worrying about healing is like picking at a scab.  It will happen, have confidence in your own body and mind.  worry about the people who approach you instead.

yes, sorry you really are a great guy, Victo.  It's there in everything you say.  what you are is on a steep learning curve, and good for you.  I reckon it helps to take a good look round.  I keep wanting to call out from the sidelines watch out for all the gayindenial women, they are coming after you now. 

April 19, 2021 11:56 am  #19

Victo,

"..So how does a person who has been a grey rock for decades learn to open up and become generous and vulnerable again?  How does an iceberg finally get fully melted?..."

I also suffered and kept very silent in my marriage..only looking back now do I see how that was not normal and perhaps was my contribution to the marriage problem..but I would argue it was far easier than dealng with her anger.  The fear, obligation and guilt that I thought normal in a marriage or relationship  really was not.

Yes I see the narcissism now..anything you say or do will be banked and used against you at a later date. 

I think one learns to open up by simply stating your feelings more with a new partner..the person should be ok with that and what you've been through..and if they are not then they are just don't deserve..they are not the nice person we want them to be.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

April 19, 2021 12:45 pm  #20

well said Rob

Board footera