OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 6, 2021 8:45 pm  #21

Re: It just gets more difficult and confusing

yeah that sounds horrible, sorry to hear of it.  that 'ok' was given under duress - totally unacceptable - dump the therapist.  I wonder if she's a bisexual - that turned out to be the case with the therapist I saw.

April 6, 2021 9:06 pm  #22

AuroraMoon, what a horrible experience for you.  There's lots of therapists out there of limited experience or ability, unfortunately. Couples counselling is never a good idea in abusive relationships like yours, as therapists are only human and sometimes side with the abuser against the abused, compounding the trauma.  If you ended up crying and saying ok just to make them stop that is awfully abusive. Please please please do not go back again.  Focus on finding yourself a good individual therapist for you alone.

However, in all thst stress and anxiety your instincts are right yet again my friend.  You have picked up on the one piece of useful advice - I hope you get him and his baggage out of your basket as soon as possible. And make sure you get a good lawyer to help you fill your basket with a very good settlement. 

Believe in yourself and trust your  gut. Do what you need to do for your own safety and well being. Courage to you.

April 6, 2021 10:35 pm  #23

Aurora Moon,

So...although your husband did not fill out his half of the intake form, your therapist then rewarded him for this by asking him questions and allowing him to go first?   She made the session about him, and put you on the defensive from the get-go by saying she only had your "side."  (What an adversarial set-up that idea of "sides" is!  A terrible move by the therapist.)   I wonder why she didn't say to your husband, "As you haven't provided me your information yet, I'll start by asking your wife to begin."   No wonder you were upset: your husband has put you into the position of having to react to his behavior, and then the therapist repeated this move by putting you in the position of having to react to his story.  

I also wonder what she would have said if you, in response to her telling you that your husband has to do the work on his own sexuality, were to have said, "I agree he has to figure himself out for himself, by himself, and I think that it would be a good idea if we separated while he does that work, so he can concentrate on doing it.  While we're separated, it seems to me we each need an individual therapist, with the plan of maybe coming back together for marriage counseling after we've both sorted out where we are and what we want."

I agree that a therapist for you alone, one trained in trauma, would be very helpful to you, and WAY more supportive.  You need validation and a focus on your needs, and couples counseling is not going to provide that.
 As to this particular therapist, you've seen her, you've seen that she has no experience in this area, and there is really no reason for you to continue with a person you don't feel knows enough to counsel you, and who has made you feel unsafe during your first meeting.  You shop around for a therapist, just as you do for any other service, and if the fit isn't good, you find someone else. 

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (April 7, 2021 5:29 pm)

April 7, 2021 1:26 am  #24

AuroraMoon wrote:

So we had marriage counseling last night. It was awful.,.,....,So yeah, total waste of time and I feel worse. Yay

Nothing is wasted if you see your determination that the counselor is a bad fit for you...as a good thing and just part of your learning curve

So Aurora... Change your counselor ×hugs×

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

April 7, 2021 8:56 am  #25

That sounds really awful, but I'm happy to see you are making your needs a priority and taking a step back from what is really your husband's "stuff."

It's OK to go at the pace that feels right to you...It's also OK to draw a line in the sand. What you are going through....marriage should never be this complicated or painful. I also used meditation to calm the "fight-or-flight" response. Michael Sealey's soothing voice (and lovely Australian accent!)  helped me fall asleep. I recommend meditation to anyone who needs a little help quieting their mind.

Last edited by Julian_Stone (April 7, 2021 8:59 am)

April 7, 2021 1:22 pm  #26

I have a woman therapist. She has been supportive and has not taken sides. Yes, I think that you need a new therapist.

April 7, 2021 2:22 pm  #27

Any couple’s therapist who allows a straight woman to get dragged back into the closet by her transwoman-loving husband who wants to “suck cock” should issue a refund.

Last edited by Blue Bear (April 7, 2021 2:22 pm)

April 9, 2021 7:27 pm  #28

Ellexoh_nz wrote:

AuroraMoon wrote:

So we had marriage counseling last night. It was awful.,.,....,So yeah, total waste of time and I feel worse. Yay

So Aurora... Change your counselor ×hugs×

Elle

That marriage counselor is not my individual counselor, so I don't need a change. I'm not looking for another marriage counselor. I didn't want or find this therapist,  my husband did. I am done finding therapists.

April 9, 2021 7:41 pm  #29

OutofHisCloset wrote:

Aurora Moon,

I also wonder what she would have said if you, in response to her telling you that your husband has to do the work on his own sexuality, were to have said, "I agree he has to figure himself out for himself, by himself, and I think that it would be a good idea if we separated while he does that work, so he can concentrate on doing it.  While we're separated, it seems to me we each need an individual therapist, with the plan of maybe coming back together for marriage counseling after we've both sorted out where we are and what we want." 

I don't know, but I wish I would have said that!

April 9, 2021 7:49 pm  #30

longwayhome wrote:

AuroraMoon,

In my opinion this is where the danger lies for us. They want to continue their fantasy life, but now that you know the truth - you want nothing to do with it. You don’t deal with issues by sweeping them undercover and pretend they never happened. .

You are exactly right. I can't unknow this stuff. There is doubt in my gut that doesn't go away. He says words and the doubt subsides for a minute but it always comes back

Board footera