OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 20, 2021 9:21 am  #11

Re: What happens now?

Best of luck. Remember that it's not what she says, it what she does that counts.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

March 20, 2021 10:06 am  #12

I second Daryl's comments.

I don't want to burst your bubble, and indeed you may have "caught a break," but it's not unusual for a spouse who announces they aren't straight to stick their toe in the water of gay/lesbian/bi/trans but when faced with the consequences of their declaration if they follow through (public coming out, loss of spouse, change in family life, social life, etc) to back track to us, their "safety school" rather than their aspirational one.

So, as you watch to see how her actions match her words, take steps to protect yourself.  Watch your finances, for example.  And don't let yourself and your relationship get marginalized--don't allow yourself to shrink or make your needs smaller and smaller--as she expands her contact with women.   If you're having good conversations, it wouldn't be a bad idea to discuss with her what concrete actions and steps you two can take to ensure you feel safe and your relationship is getting the care it needs.

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (March 20, 2021 10:07 am)

March 20, 2021 12:13 pm  #13

well I'm glad you are feeling better but in general terms your happiness is based in her happiness isn't it - it makes you feel happy to make her feel happy. 

In an equal relationship, where you are both equally attracted to each other this is a fairly simple affair - you get into bed together and that's all it takes.

I didn't realise it was happening but over time my anxiety levels grew.

Last edited by lily (March 20, 2021 12:39 pm)

March 22, 2021 2:09 am  #14

I am so sorry this has happened to you. But dude - listen to what she is saying - she is telling you she prefers women.  The tragic fact is that she can't love you the way you love her.  My advice is to call it quits before there is more at stake, ie kids and many years of struggle to make it work.  The longer you invest the harder it will be.  Give yourself a chance to find a straight woman who can love you the way you want/need to be loved.  I spent 25 years with a closeted gay man, wondering why I didn't feel desired, and why he was so abusive to me. He came out to our 5 kids (not to me,mind) just after after our divorce was final 2 years ago.

March 22, 2021 9:27 am  #15

I agree with Soaplife.

You are receiving a lot of consistent advice from people who have already been there, done that.  The likelihood of a successful outcome seems really, really low.  Here’s what you know:

1.  Your wife is more attracted to women than men.  (Note: You are a man.)
2.  Your wife is “excited” by women.
3.  Your wife repressed her same-sex attraction.

Your wife is coming to terms with who she is, which is not a straight woman.  For now, you offer security while she works through this process.  But what about YOU?  A marriage is made of two people who deeply care for each other.  You’re with a woman who prefers women, and she doesn’t sound like she’s terribly concerned about how YOU are navigating the massive curveball she has thrown at you.  This isn’t the way it’s supposed to work.

You are young and haven’t been married that long.  It doesn’t sound like you have kids.  As a dude who had three children with a self-absorbed lesbian in a challenging, 15-year marriage, I cannot scream loudly enough  for you to get out.  There’s another woman out there who deserves you and whom you deserve.  

March 22, 2021 11:15 am  #16

I've been feeling good about everything again. Is there really no way for this to work?

March 22, 2021 12:34 pm  #17

Nothing is impossible. However, I think the collective wisdom of this group is telling you that you have a lot of ominous and familiar signs on the horizon.

March 22, 2021 2:49 pm  #18

The short answer is no, there is no way for this to work - it is women she is interested in - you're her Gucci handbag.

I bet instinctively you know the feeling good you are experiencing now will not last very long. 

Talking with your family. reconnecting with old friends will give you some independent ground.  

Last edited by lily (March 22, 2021 6:03 pm)

March 22, 2021 4:55 pm  #19

Jstevens wrote:

I've been feeling good about everything again. Is there really no way for this to work?

I have to disagree with a few others here but with some qualifications. Anything is possible within reason. Is it probable ? That's a much harder to answer and I've not seen research that suggests the odds are great.

I'd say it comes down to how committed she is to you. Taking care of your needs instead of her own. Is she truly attracted to you and desires you or 'phoning it in' as the saying goes. If that's true today, can she maintain that over the long term or will it internally eat away and cause things like depression or the temptation to stray? Both of you have much to think about and I think it requires brutal honesty and constant communication.

You might want to look up some posts here by Dutchman. He was in a similar situation and described it in detail.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

March 23, 2021 7:56 am  #20

Jstevens:
   I think the reason it seems as if people are dashing your hopes is that many of us experienced a kind of resurgence of hope after disclosure, when our spouses were sharing their innermost selves with us and relieved to be speaking the truth, and we were feeling their happiness in doing so, and expressing our love for them.  This closeness after disclosure is common enough to have a name: it's called "the honeymoon period." 

As Daryl says, maintaining that closeness and that hope you can make your marriage "work" is a much dicier thing, and it is to a very large degree out of our hands.  We can't, through wanting it to work, and working hard ourselves--to help our spouses come out, to find counselors, to be sensitive to their emotions and changes, all things non-straight spouses arguably must do themselves--do it alone.  Our non-straight spouses must work as hard as we do.  Too often, our non-straight spouses are, understandably, fully engaged with their own struggles to become what they've declared they are, and all too often, our needs are not only not acknowledged or met, but actively discounted or ridiculed.  What a lot of us discover is that we've been the care-takers of our spouses all along, and our marriages have been less than equal in that respect. 

Daryl says "it comes down to how committed she is to you."  I want to emphasize that, especially the YOU part.  How committed she is to staying married, to maintaining life as she has it, is not the same as being committed to you.  

It's also important to realize that her feelings--about you, about your marriage, about her life--are going to evolve and change as she explores and begins to act on what she has revealed to you; yours, too, will change, in response to her changes and actions, and as you are able to think beyond this first crisis period to what you want for yourself and your life.  

While it's understandable that what you want is to sigh with relief and sink into reassurance that your life will not change and your marriage will be secure, what we are saying is that you need to keep your eyes open, and to hold her to account in terms not of what she says, but what she does.

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (March 23, 2021 7:59 am)

Board footera