OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 9, 2016 9:22 pm  #101

Re: Mixed Orientation Marriages - Pathways to Success

JKPeace, I'm so sorry!! I know exactly how that feels. the heart break just never stops until we learn once & for all, they do not deserve any iotta of our heart, at least not out of the gate. You must put yourself & your children first. He's clearly selfish, delusional & incapabale of empathy or responsibility. keep that photo as a reminder when the next job/relationship/life cycle doesn't work out for him & he comes begging for shelter, kindness & support. You deserve way more than he is capable of providing, even as a friend.

OOHC...thank you, i too am tired of only being allowed to see it from THEIR perspective. Specific to TG/CD spouses, we often have spent years acquiescing to their "need for expression & growth", supporting them against our own interests & desires. I'm done with not being on the damn list.

Plus, I'm tired of seeing this conversation on here tbh. As you said, if we can't express freely here, do we go back completely into their closet?

Last edited by whatasham24 (December 9, 2016 9:23 pm)

December 12, 2016 2:01 pm  #102

I get so tired of this argument.  I mean, the only way we wouldn't be seen as negative to individuals on those other sites is if we had our focus purely on the gay spouse.  They are going to see anything but that as being negative.  This is a support site for str8 spouses, so no - our main focus is not nor should it be the gay spouse.  Lord knows it's difficult enough to keep the focus off of what's best for the gay/confused spouse since nearly everyone who first posts here is ready and willing to bend over backwards to keep their gay spouse.  It takes a bit of banging their heads into the wall for them to realize that they will only have anyone pay attention to their own needs if they do it themselves.  If their gay spouse were all that concerned for the mental and emotional and physical well-being of their st8 spouse, they'd have let us go years ago - or never married us in the first place.  We get into this position because we trust in someone who is being dishonest with us.  To tell us to be mindful of the words we use when we describe our own or other gay-married-to-an-unwitting-st8-spouse is frankly quite insulting.  They lied to us, deceived us, gas-lighted us in many cases led double lives.  But let's not look like we hate them, lest we be seen as painting all gays in a negative light, therefore making ourselves bigots.

That all being said, you get more flies with honey, as the saying goes.  That means that if you're trying to convince someone of how they've been wronged or encourage them to make a change (especially a big one), then attacking their mate (whom they still think of as just a poor, unfortunate soul) isn't going to produce the realizations that you're likely aiming for. They feel that they need to protect their spouse's honor (and by extension, their own intelligence in this person being the one they "picked" as their life partner) from our attacks.  And then that puts them in the position of maybe leaving because of feeling persecuted, or it not being easy to see the light later for fear of being told "I told you so".  Our perspectives can be right, but unwelcome if they are too harsh.

I think there's room here to be kind to others, and to vent about our own lives/situations.  It's normal and it's healthy.  To hell with anyone who doesn't agree with us focusing on ourselves and our pain and processing and healing.  We didn't put ourselves in this position - our gay spouses did.  Again, if we don't create space for ourselves and our issues, then no one else is going to.

Kel

Last edited by Kel (December 12, 2016 2:02 pm)

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

December 17, 2016 9:08 pm  #103

Bryon,

We as the spouses, ex-spouses, victims,....whatever name you want to use, have the same rights as our spouses do. I am sick to death of hearing how negative we are. I have heard everyone here be both loving and supportive and probably on days when suicide could be an option. We come here, at least I do, so that I can remember that not all people are like him. Some are like me, just trying to find a way to survive the pain, frustration and fear of being alone it brings. 

Until VERY recently I was still in the shock phase, I am coming out of it now, but  until I did I cried everyday on my way to work, every evening on my way home and every night. Decades of neglect and pain are here, you will sometimes witness it.  If you can't handle it, then maybe you are in denial about what victims go thru. 

1. Sometimes DECADES of abuse, by neglect, gas lighting, lying, stealing, sometime beatings, physical assault, sexual assault, (contrary to popular opinion, sex is about control, not desire).

2. Being made to feel that no one would ever want us again, we're the "bad" people, we're the ones who kept our vows, and did whatever we could to make it work. While being slandered, cheated on and just generally being misused. 

These things will make you tired, worn out, angry and just sick of it all once in a while. Just like them...WE ARE HUMAN TOO, AND THEREFORE NOT PERFECT.  

As sham said,

Until then, please don't piss on me & tell me it's raining. At the very least, don't act surprised & insulted that the people being pissed all over stand up & call out those doing the pissing.

So please, tell me again how my pain is offensive to you?

sick and tired of it, from a woman who has accumulated 34 broken bones during my life

Last edited by JJ1966 (December 19, 2016 9:09 pm)

Go not quietly into that great, good night......Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

December 19, 2016 2:07 pm  #104

JJ1966,

Bless you, so very much for describing the pain so accurately and for your generous sharing. That kind of pain changes a person. Yours, clearly, has made you acutely aware of *other people's* journey & healing needs. 

Big hugs
Sham

December 19, 2016 9:08 pm  #105

Thank you Sham I needed that hug today.

Go not quietly into that great, good night......Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

October 29, 2019 10:41 pm  #106

I am in a MOM and have been for a long time, too long.  My husband is  a good person, kind and caring. He doesn’t do the things he does to hurt me, he does them because he’s gay. We grew up in a time and place where coming out as a gay man was a nightmare. If he had had his choice he would never have told me. I believe he loves me and I love him, but it’s not enough. Not enough for either of us.

We have just welcomed our first grandchild and this should be a time of only happiness.  The cloud over our head takes away a little of that happiness.  Finally, at age 62, he can tell me the truth. He’s a gay man.  I’ve looked the other way too long and now I have to leave him. I want to set both of us free. It won’t be easy, there will be a river of tears, I’ve already cried an ocean. We won’t be quite as well off separate as we are together but I no longer care.

My advice to women in this situation is to leave as soon as you can. I wish I had done it sooner but I won’t look back, just forward. We hope to divorce with grace, fairly divide what we have and try to remain friendly.

October 30, 2019 5:53 am  #107

I am one of the people here who still maintains a relationship with my ex. I think it has been possible because after the shock and fear I accepted that the past was over and I was going to be free to write the next chapter of my life. Our children are grown and don't live near either of us but when they are in the area we do things together with them.

I do not regard him as a "friend", let alone a "best friend". I do not confide in him or share personal details about my life now. I treat him more like a business acquaintance, someone I used to work with, and there is no romantic or sexual attraction

This is not to suggest that I am glacial but I have set the boundary that his behavior with me is to be hands-off: you do not hug or kiss me any more than you would a colleague. That intimacy was lacking when we were married and he does not get that level of cordiality now.

I wish you well with getting a fair property settlement and building a good new life.

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

January 5, 2021 5:50 pm  #108

My wife told me she was bisexual when we got married but over the past few years she has become more and more convinced that she is lesbian. Recently she rented her own apartment and said she wanted to try a trial separation. However, we have also agreed that we will find marriage counseling during this time. 
What I am confused about is that she is still physically affectionate with me and is still open to sex with me, although she has not initiated sex in several years despite saying that she is still sexually attracted to me to a degree. She assures me I am good lover and nearly always experiences orgasms when we make love. 
I am willing to consider an open relationship, or one where she can pursue lesbian relationships on the side, but would want to be sure that she won't fall in love and leave me...again. If we were to get back together I would want to get to a place where she is talking about being bisexual again, and where I was confident that the physical attraction is more mutual.
Am I fooling myself that this is possible? Has anyone had a similar experienced. Before we were married she left me for awhile to be with women, but came back. That was nearly 30 years ago. Am I wrong and stupid to think she might come back again? 

January 5, 2021 6:41 pm  #109

willjenkins wrote:

I am willing to consider an open relationship, or one where she can pursue lesbian relationships on the side, but would want to be sure that she won't fall in love and leave me...again. If we were to get back together I would want to get to a place where she is talking about being bisexual again, and where I was confident that the physical attraction is more mutual.

I don't think anyone can guarantee this wouldn't happen. You have to decide if it''s worth the risk and your spouse needs to be 100% honest with you as to the possibility of that outcome.

I wouldn't read too much into her ability to be somewhat affectionate with you. Having said that, her inability to initiate it perhaps says something about her inclinations. I think it's the difference between being OK or liking something vs. enjoying something and going out of your way for it.

Whatever you do, take good care of yourself.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

Board footera