OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 3, 2020 5:57 am  #1

Can my marriage survive with my lesbian wife?

I'm very new to this forum, so apologies if I'm going over old ground here. I am slowly working through the forum for old threads that might help with answers. 

But anyway, my story. Me and my wife have been married for 17 years, together for 20, and have two wonderful daughters. We are best friends and soul mates, so perfectly matched in so many ways. We love the same things, have the same politics and attitudes, exactly the same sense of humour, same temperament and dry look on life, we have a brilliant time together with each other and with the kids. After 20 years, we still love a night out together down the pub just chatting away about stuff or out in clubs enjoying the music we love. We're into each other and neither of us want to lose that. 

However, the big gap in our lives has been the physical and intimate side. We were never the most tactile sort of couple, the sex was infrequent but mostly great. But since our youngest was born 9 years ago, things have really gone down hill. We barely cuddle, let alone kiss or have sex. We basically haven't been physical for about 3 years. I hated that. Every day it played on my mind. And we when we tried to talk about it, it was the only source of argument and tension we had. She got very defensive and, so, for a quiet life I guess I just let things slip. I put it down to kids, work, middle age, 20 year relationship, maybe onset of menopause, just not really into that anymore. 

It hurt but I could live with it, sort of. After all, there's more important things than sex right? Family, emotion, relationship, friendship, fun, laughter, companionship and intellectual engagement - all the good stuff. 

2 weeks ago, while out for a nice Sunday walk, my wife brought up our non-sex life. Which surprised me a bit. She told me that she owed me an explanation. She said that reason why she didn't want sex with me was that she didn't want sex with any men. She told me that she'd had one relationship with a woman when she was at college but she ran away from it terrified. She said she'd always been attracted to women and she thinks she's never been attracted to men - other than me. Over the course of a few days, she came out more strongly. She said that heterosexual sex disgusted her and that she wanted to have sex with women. She says she's very sure that she's a lesbian. And that she actively doesn't want sex with me.

She says there is no one else. I believe her. She says as a middle aged mum she wouldn't even know where to find someone else. She says she would like to but that it seems an impossible and intangible thing to achieve. 

Most importantly, she says she wants to stay with me. She says she can't imagine life without me, She doesn't want to hurt the girls or our family. She doesn't want to separate. She won't stand in my way if I chose to find sex elsewhere. She ponders whether we could stay together under some sort of 'arrangement'. 

That sounds unlikely to me. We're not teenagers. Sex with other people has complications, many strings, relationships, emotions involved. That way surely lies ultimate separation - if not tomorrow, then eventually.

Neither of us want that. We could try being celibate partners but that too sounds like a horrendous, joyless and closeted life. I could kinda live with it when I thought it was just middle aged boredom. But not when I know she actively hates sex with men and desires women. 

I feel so sorry for the hard times she's been through alone. I'm glad she's told me. I want to be there for her every inch of the way and support her on her journey. I want our family to stay together. I love her so much and I think she loves me too just as much. And all the good stuff (other than sex) is still there to hold on to. 

Basically, I'm so sad and confused right now. 

Is there a way we can keep this together but be happy?

December 3, 2020 11:28 am  #2

Re: Can my marriage survive with my lesbian wife?

This is a really sad story and I feel for you. I'm sorry you are going through this. You are fortunate that she is talking about her sexuality.
"She says as a middle aged mum she wouldn't even know where to find someone else. She says she would like to but that it seems an impossible and intangible thing to achieve."
I don't believe this for a second. That's a suspicious statement to me. 

I'd say you have already suffered enough rejection and hurt throughout your marriage, to stay together would be setting yourself up for more pain. Especially because she wants to have sexual relations elsewhere with women and has said that sex with men disgusts her. How could you honestly handle a relationship without slowly dying inside? How lonely and dismal for you.
I'm a few months ahead of you from d-day and I was just as empathetic in the beginning. I think it's shock, our 'unconditional' love, you get into survival mode because your family has been blown up. Now I'm raging because reality is setting in. Having to rewrite my future because of this person that was not honest from the beginning.
I'm sure they know they're gay from a young age, I just think that fear stops them from living that life.
I also think fear is stopping your wife from leaving. Of course it's comfortable to be in a family unit, everyone wants that coziness and taking care of and relying on each other. Especially financially, let's be honest. But what about when she falls in love with a woman and decides to end the marriage? You will be even more devastated than now. 
We need to be extra careful where we invest our love and affection. Especially now that we know the truth. In these cases it feels like all the efforts, and carrying the marriage, were a complete waste of time and not appreciated.
How do they sleep at night knowing how much they hurt us?
I hope all goes smoothly for you. Please be prepared for a very 'rocky road' ahead. Emotions run high and you both need to find good therapists.
My psychologist and I are working on my voice, finding it after I've been silenced all these years. Don't be afraid of her reaction when you tell her how you really feel, I mean really feel! You need to get out the rage (you don't sound angry yet but this is coming).
Take good care and keep us posted. Your daughters deserve the truth, everyone does. I don't believe in secrets and I know for a fact kids do better when they have the truth rather than wondering WTH has happened to Mom and Dad. I truly hope your wife is willing to be honest with the girls and everyone around you. Please don't cover up for her and get locked in her closet.

December 3, 2020 12:53 pm  #3

Hi Rocky—It sounds like you and your wife have a wonderful friendship. That does not have to change. I know the desperation to keep the family intact for the kids, but your happiness is also important. At the end of the day, your children just want two happy, loving parents.

You said: "T
here are more important things than sex, right?"
Yes...that's true...but it's pretty damn important in my book... ;) Do you want to spend the rest of your one precious life celibate? That sounds awful to me...then again, so does having sex with someone who is disgusted at the thought of heterosexual....coitus. Ouch.

You asked: "
Is there a way we can keep this together but be happy?"
*My* honest opinion: no...not the happy part, anyway.

You mentioned the possibility of opening up the marriage...I have no experience with that, so everything that follows is purely opinion...But *I think* open marriages (for the most part) are just a short-term solution to delay the inevitable. They take a lot of work...and a ton of communication...and don't have the best success rate. If you do decide to go this route, others may be able to point you to more valuable resources/forums.

Just thinking about things (practically)...If you do decide to date outside of the marriage:

1. You're going to have quite a challenge finding a woman who wants to be the third wheel in this complicated dynamic.
2. No-strings-attached sex sounds pretty simple in theory, but there's always...*ALWAYS* the possibility of becoming emotionally attached...And what happens then?
3. There's a very real chance that if/when you fall for someone else....you're going to be reminded (or perhaps experience for the first time) how truly amazing it feels when the physical + emotional elements align...How great it is to be with someone who desires you completely. (And what happens then?)

Your wife will likely have the same challenges.

Plan B: You separate....go through the necessary emotional detachment...and come out of this great friends & co-parents who still love one another very much...and celebrate your individual happiness in your new path(s). 

You don't need to make any life-changing decisions today or tomorrow. If you haven't already, I'd highly recommend speaking with a marriage counselor who can help direct these very difficult conversations & navigate your path forward. I'd also recommend individual counseling, too (for both of you!)

You also may try posting this in the "support" section for a wider response from those who have been in your shoes.

I know this isn't easy...Be kind to yourself...You'll get through this. <3

Last edited by Julian_Stone (December 3, 2020 1:05 pm)

December 3, 2020 1:35 pm  #4

My apologies for my post in this section. I thought it was in another category and not 'Strategies for MOM's' 
Should I delete?

December 3, 2020 2:06 pm  #5

Simpatica and Julian - thanks for your responses. Much of what you say rings true to me. But one day at a time I guess. I hope the hatred and rage doesn’t come. But I’d be naive to think it won’t I guess.

Don’t delete please. All responses give me food for thought.

Oh and we both have individual therapy booked starting next week.

Thanks for your support.

December 3, 2020 3:26 pm  #6

Hi Rocky. I read your post and it is almost a mirror of my situation. My Dday was July 12 of this year. you can read my story in the "My Story section " . We are still married and have a 9 year old son. My advice is to take it one day at a time . I was devastated ,I had no idea she was gay, married 22 years together for 29 , and she tells me that she never loved me the way that I deserved to be loved. We are best friends and soulmates. But as you get some time under your belt , your feelings and thoughts catch up and the reality of your situation really sets in. The range of emotions is almost unbearable. Can your marriage survive? I don't know my brother....I am in the same shitty boat. I could have seen myself being celibate before my Dday but for different reasons. Her being gay has kind of changed my thoughts on that. Give yourself some time to process this. My wife has never been with a woman and is not actively searching( so she says). In the end,,,,does it matter?  All the best brother, you are not alone.   Steve

You can hurt me with the truth,but please don't love me with your lies.

December 3, 2020 3:28 pm  #7

I have a suggestion to make, it's not something I've ever suggested before but what about doing a bit of snooping?

I'm guessing from your post that you are naturally more likely to want to rely on trust between partners.  I never snooped, it went so against the grain I didn't even think of looking at his computer etc and now, looking back I realise if I had looked I would have learnt a lot!

In terms of patterns of human behaviour to say she is disgusted by sex with men is an indication she is emotionally involved with a woman in some way.  It seems to happen a lot in mid life.  

So, wishing you all the best.  My personal opinion is happiness matters.

December 3, 2020 4:53 pm  #8

Rocky road,

it sounds like you're in about the place I was in 15 years ago. I recognize a lot of similarities between our stories.
I suppose you know already about the (rocky) road I/we traveled. 
We eventually arrived in a very good and fulfilling (monogamous) relation, also sexually. Very different and better than it ever was before, this is no exaggeration. So there potentially does exists another route then "open relations", celibacy or divorce.
My story is mainly written from my perspective, in further posts I tried to clarify and also supply info about somehow my wife went through it. Later my wife (Samantha NL) also wrote some about this on this section of the forum (15 years in my MOM with Dutchman).
In what we write about our experience you'll undoubtedly understand it's not an easy trick. Main thing: it requires love AND choices.
This is definitely not (!) concerning choice about sexual orientation, but rather the choice for the relation and for each other. 
If you both choose to go for a MOM, in my opinion it should be (ultimately) all or nothing. 
Either divorce and call it quits, or go for the goal of a real and complete marriage relation. This also includes a relation that is sexual fulfilling to both, so no in between solution where one or both are gradually broken down.
But you can't jump from zero to a hundred. It all takes time, during which you'll most probably seek and suffer both, and go through highs and lows.
First couple of years are worst, and the quest will take years to complete. Look before you leap, it won't be easy.
Having said that, it can be worth every teardrop you've shed. But that's afterwards and looking back. We both went for it, surely stumbling and making mistakes along the way, going through a misty fog, but we both wanted it.

At the moment your world is turned upside down. You wish to find a way through this. But it's not just your decision. You both have to make a choice.
I get the impression your choice would be to go for it, try to make it work, and meanwhile truly accept your wife as the person she is. But your wife has to make her decision. Not only for herself but also includes you, your health and happiness.
Acceptance must come from both sides. Just accepting herself (and coming-out) is just half of the story when in a MOM. If she wants to continue the marriage (choice), that means she has to accept you as well. 
You're her husband, who suffers the non-existent sexuality in your marriage. Keeping it that way equals not accepting you as you are. So... why would she expect she should be accepted and supported as she is?
She'll have to address this dilemma for herself. For some years already she didn't (want to) realize this fact. But now she came-out and I suppose wants to be honest, she can't avoid this question anymore.

It's not about expecting to have great sex next month, but it's about her mindset! Is she willing to care and think about your wellbeing (as a man!). 
Is your importance on her radar? Because exactly this attitude tells a lot, and predicts a lot what's down the road.

Hopefully it's clear what I mean. Because actually restarting the sexual relation is a delicate matter, and also try to get professional help for this issue.
But the main thing now is her stance in relation to you (and something she really has to consider carefully) : is her will directed to work towards you, or is her sexual orientation actually the paramount thing that's really important to her?
If the latter is the case, you'll better let her go with "this thing" she desires most. 
But if you are the goal of her heart, then both can make the considered choice to go for it and strive to make it work (and it can).

December 4, 2020 4:30 am  #9

Thank you all for your posts. 

This is a bit of an overwhelming situation but your words are all hugely helpful in their different ways. 

@Dutchman - I will delve into your previous posts, as I am very interested in your perspective here. 

Thanks everyone for your solidarity and support. I'm very glad I found this forum. 

December 5, 2020 2:04 pm  #10

RockyRoad,

I am very sorry you are going through this.  It is very traumatic!  Sex is an important part of intimacy.  It sounds like you are very good friends and you love each other.  I am in a similar situation with my bi husband, only he did have an affair with a man.  He wants to stay together and says he will be monogamous, but I fear sooner or later he will have to explore that need.  I also want to have more intimacy and sex and he is hot and cold.  I think you deserve to have a strong sexual life.  I realize now that the problem with our sex life is my husband.  He can blame me, but it really is his problem.  We are trying to see if we can come to some sort of arrangement too, but just don't know.

Give yourself time.  You will cycle through many emotions, some are very dark; however, if you love each other, you will work it out together and time will reveal what you really want.  You are probably in shock right now and I am very sorry for this.  I wish you much healing and strength.  Bless you.

Board footera