OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 8, 2020 2:28 pm  #1

Trying to find my place

I am brand new to the community, so please bear with me. I’ve read a lot of the posts on the forum and listened to a bunch of the podcasts, and I’m struggling a bit because my scenario doesn’t quite fit with what I’ve read and heard so far. Here’s why. My wife and I have been together for 20 years: dated for 4, married for 13 and had two kids, separated for 3 but dating again for the past two. And it’s those last parts that I’m struggling with. We separated initially because I descended into depression and drinking and didn’t seek help. She tried extremely hard to help me and keep the family together, but eventually realized she needed to focus on our boys and I wasn’t a good influence or acting like a good father or husband, so I was asked to leave. I did, we got legally separated and I got my shit together (counseling, meds, stopped drinking), rebounded professionally and physically, and worked to rebuild my relationships with our sons and with her. After about a year, we started dating again. We set ground rules that we weren’t going to put pressure on the relationship by creating big goals, like getting remarried or living in the same house again. We didn’t tell the boys. All they knew was that we were spending more time together and that also meant we were spending more time together as a family. All good.

The past two years have been very good, at least as far as I felt. There were still big conversations and counseling that we should/would need if the relationship was to proceed to remarriage and moving back into the same house, but by this past summer we had at least starting having some of those conversations ourselves. Things got a bit strained between us during the end of the summer (stress at her job, reduced income at mine, kids’ schools going to distance learning at home due to pandemic, not going out for actual dates due to pandemic, etc.). I got quieter and more withdrawn, which has always been an issue with my response to stress. In mid-October, she told me she wanted to end the romantic part of our relationship. A week or so later she told me she wanted to be with a woman and has since begun seeing a woman who has been a family friend for many years.

That’s the background, here’s the problem. In so many of the stories I have read and heard here so far, the couples’ relationships were ostensibly good until one partner disclosed or was discovered to be in a same-sex relationship or desiring of one. Almost all of the straight spouses talk about betrayal, feeling lied to, feeling wronged. On the other side, the advice is often that it’s not your fault, they did this to you, you were a good partner and the vast majority of the responsibility for this situation is on them. But what if you weren’t always a good partner? What if your behaviors imploded the marriage before and you were trying to do the work of rebuilding from your own mistakes? I’m taking this new reality very hard, but I don’t feel betrayed or wronged or that I don’t bear some responsibility (if not a lot of responsibility) for the eventual outcome.

Right or wrong, over the past two years I had convinced myself we were going to make it. I’m not perfect and still have work to do with being more expressive with emotions, being more affectionate, and not withdrawing into my own head. But I thought we were doing well and going to find a way to spend the rest of our lives together, which is why I feel more like a straight spouse than an ex-husband whose ex-wife started dating someone three years after they split up. I broke the dating ground rules, I guess. I don’t feel betrayed or wronged because I genuinely believe we’ve both been trying to figure out how to be our better selves, and in that process she has discovered that the intimacy she feels with this particular woman feels more natural and comfortable than she’s ever felt with a man, including me. I don’t think she tried to hide anything; I think she is genuinely discovering that she needs to follow a different path.

So, I’m confused and feel like I’m stuck in the middle. On one hand I relate to the stories and experiences of straight spouses. On the other hand, our relationship was far from perfect and we're legally separated. I go back and forth between 1. thinking this shouldn’t be affecting me any differently than any ex-husband whose ex-wife started dating someone three years after they split up, and 2. Questioning the things straight spouses seem to question, like whether anything I could have done differently would have changed the outcome if, in truth, she’s gay. Like whether the struggle I’ve always had to provide enough intimacy was really all me? Like whether I’ll be able to find someone else if I couldn’t make it work with a person who loved/loves me and tried so hard, for so many years, to make it work?

I know that’s a lot to unpack, but I’d welcome the input from this community.

November 8, 2020 5:58 pm  #2

Re: Trying to find my place

ColoradoDad,
   I don't think your situation is as different from others here as you may fear it is. Or, at least, there are others with some similarities. My marriage wasn't peaches and cream before my husband's disclosure.  In fact, two years before he made it, we'd broached the subject of divorce.  I was the one to walk it back.  Two years later, he dropped his trans bomb.
   I also made mistakes and bad choices in my marriage.  I went through a depression after my father committed suicide.  I castigated myself for a long time about how much of what was wrong in our marriage was my fault or my responsibility.
   But here's the thing: nothing I did or didn't do caused my husband's gender dysphoria. I didn't cause him to think he is transgender.  And, as I have come to realize, at least some of what was wrong in our marriage was a result of my husband's closeted sexuality.   He was a man who didn't want to be a man, or a husband, living as a man and a husband in a marriage to a woman who wanted him to be a man and a husband.  How could that fail to have an impact on the marriage and on our relationship.
   I'm not saying your wife "knew" throughout your marriage.  I don't know that.  You don't know that.  But I am saying that given your wife's understand of her sexuality now NOTHING you could do now would overcome that.  You could be the most mentally and physically fit man possible, and it would not change your wife's sexuality.  And it is highly likely that all along it wasn't "really all [you]."  
   I think that eventually after you do the sorting out work that we all end up doing, you will indeed be able to find someone else who will love you and whom you can love. 

November 9, 2020 9:56 am  #3

Hey, ColoradoDad:

There's a lot less to unpack than you think.

You were not the wife that your wife truly wanted, and you struggled in vain to keep her happy.  You probably wouldn't have signed up to be a straight husband to a lesbian because you would have appreciated that the likelihood of success was slim to none.  This is THE reason that your marriage didn't work out, and there's nothing you could have done to fix it because you aren't a lesbian.  You struggled in vain to keep a lesbian (who posed as a straight woman) happy.  No wonder you had difficulty in your marriage!

You will get through this.  Send me a message if you want -- glad to chat.  I'm also in Colorado.

November 9, 2020 3:58 pm  #4

Hi Colorado dad,

I'm super new to this group, and I'm not a straight spouse. I'm the mom of a straight spouse trying to figure out how to help him navigate the fact that his wife came out as a lesbian after only 1 year of marriage. They are very young (he's 23, she's 22).  He went through a bout of substance abuse recently and has been struggling with depression and anxiety for a few years now. After reading your story, I wonder if my son could have ended up on the same path you were on if he stays in this relationship long term, had she not come out when she did. Looking back, there has always been some stressful issue they were dealing with, even when dating, and far before she came out. She has mental health issues due to suffering abuse as a child, and I attributed it to that, and him feeling helpless to help her. Being gay could definitely have been part of their problems from the beginning, even if she had been repressing it. Could this have been bubbling under the surface early in your relationship with your wife as well? My son still loves his wife, and she still loves him, and according to both of them, there has been no cheating or secrecy. Only this huge revelation in July.  In that, I think you two have something in common, you don't feel the betrayal that many here have experienced, so it's probably harder for you to feel angry at her. I'm so sorry you are going through this, and I wish you the best as you process this extremely difficult change to your relationship. 

November 11, 2020 2:36 pm  #5

Hello Colorado Dad,

I relate to the aspect of feeling betrayed in your story.

There has been a tremendous disconnection between my expectations, and the reality of my relationship.

I am having a hard time accepting what is.

And, congratulations on you getting sober. 

Good luck.

November 11, 2020 2:43 pm  #6

Colorado Dad,

Welcome to the group!  It's a tangled web and from what you say, it sounds like no one is to blame, it just IS.  The hard part is accepting what IS.  I am struggling with this as well.  Since we cannot change our partners we have to work on acceptance.  I am sorry this is so difficult and painful.  I wish you so much luck on your journey.  Congratulations on your sobriety!  I wish you continued health and strength.

November 11, 2020 7:35 pm  #7

Thank you to those who have read and responded to my original post. It is helpful to feel welcomed into the community, and I appreciate you sharing your experiences with me. I attended my first group meeting, via Zoom, this week and it was quite helpful as well.

November 11, 2020 11:37 pm  #8

Colorado dad,

I have the benefit of hindsight now after escaping/ being divorced 5 years.

I never thought I did anything do horrible to cause my gx to be treated me so badly.

I can clearly see now that a lot of my sadness and behavior on the marriage was her..her secret and narcissism..

Don't beat yourself up.  I would wager at least some of your past behavior stems from her underlying secret of same sex attraction. A feeling of never being enough...and now you know why.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

Board footera