OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 18, 2020 7:28 pm  #1

this quote by a Late-in-Life Lesbian is haunting

I don't really feel comfortable talking about my story just yet but after having immersed myself in the Late-in-Life Lesbian culture... I'm shocked/speechless/angry/disappointed/etc... I'm not a homophobe by any means but who the hell lies to their partner/husband for nearly 30 years?! 

anyway, going back on topic. Glennon Doyle talks about what it was like to have sex with her husband: "It's like: I try to go dead inside but there is always a little life left in me, and that life makes sex unbearable. I can't be alive during sex, but I can't get dead enough, either, so there's no solution. I just -- I don't want to do it anymore."

Last edited by rekamc (October 18, 2020 7:29 pm)

October 18, 2020 8:28 pm  #2

Re: this quote by a Late-in-Life Lesbian is haunting

rekamc wrote:

" there's no solution. I just -- I don't want to do it anymore."
I'm a straightspouse and I so relate to this..!!

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

October 19, 2020 5:21 am  #3

That is haunting, but at the same time enlightening. I suspect my wife of 22 years (together close to 30) could relate to the quote. When we were intimate, was always the deer in the headlights look, I always thought it was the abuse as child. My reality. 

You can hurt me with the truth,but please don't love me with your lies.

October 22, 2020 11:25 am  #4

Stevo, the abuse excuse is available for most of the human race!  how many people actually get to adulthood without something inappropriate happening?  we had a Latin teacher who managed to feel up 36 teenage girls in one class!  did worse things happen to me yes of course they did.

I think many of us find that we're a bit anxious, am I damaged, when it comes to having sex with a new partner.  But when it comes to it if it is a loving partner then we can relax pretty quick.  If you're with the wrong gender then of course it is going to be a whole different story isn't it.  

sexual attraction is magnetic. 

October 24, 2020 8:14 am  #5

rekamc wrote:

anyway, going back on topic. Glennon Doyle talks about what it was like to have sex with her husband: "It's like: I try to go dead inside but there is always a little life left in me, and that life makes sex unbearable. I can't be alive during sex, but I can't get dead enough, either, so there's no solution. I just -- I don't want to do it anymore."

I get the impression Glennon Doyle writes this in the context of having sex with her husband after his infidelity that bothered her to the core and not so much because she found out to be lesbian. So quoting her the way you did, may suggest a different picture.

Reading some passages from her book, I found it interesting to discover Glennon Doyles reasoning to be free and authentic, not to oblige to religious or culture pressure, is to a certain extent comparable to my wife's. But with a totally different outcome. 
Where Glennon Doyle stops at "being lesbian is the answer to her personal question", my wife didn't stop there and took a step further. She came to the conclusion that being really true to her self is expressed in her love and marriage with me, despite being lesbian.

So what Glennon Doyle describes as choosing her own liberated way... we personally see as her just conforming to cultural pressure actually. After all, contemporary culture, media, general opinion, expect that one persues to realize his/her sexual orientation as the ultimate goal. Not conforming to this expected path is rejected.
(not to specifically attack Glennon Doyle, because her situation with a cheating husband adds it's own dynamic to the whole).

Freedom of thought is freeing oneself from these external influences and making choices of your own. And true, sexual orientation is a personal aspect. But sexual orientation is just one part of one's "whole set" that makes us what we are. Mind you: to let that aspect rule all other aspects is also a choice!
And to make that explicit choice is certainly influenced by culture. Even to the extent that when one makes that choice to blindly follow what sexual orientation dictates, people describe this as being free...
But actually they are made willingness slaves of their own feelings and followers of comtempory culture without realizing it themselves.

For people in a MOM it's important to understand it's not only about sexual orientation, but also the cultural influences that play a major role. Especially the bi/gay spouses are subjected to that outside influence, it aligns with urges and feelings, so one has to be a real independent thinker to notice it's real effect.
But straights can be also dragged into this line of thought, typicaly resulting in "supportive behaviour". Not helping to rise above it all nor aimed to develop real choices of character for their spouse. 
Life choices should be stemming from the real person as a whole. Not just sexual orientation, but with all aspects included and integrated! Then, and only then, someone is really authentic.

(PS. I'm a straight man, married for 35 years. My wife found out to be lesbian after 20 years into marriage. We struggled to find a way, but arrived in a happy monogamous MOM, fulfilling to both and in all aspects).

Last edited by Dutchman (October 24, 2020 9:19 am)

October 26, 2020 7:07 pm  #6

that quote from Glennon Doyle sounds pretty basic to me rather than contextual - something a lesbian would feel about having sex with a man and something a straight woman would feel about having sex with a woman.  I don't think about women romantically.  I don't want to have sex with a woman, I just don't.  I don't even want to think about it, and if I make the effort to do so, just the idea of it is enough to give me that 'ew' feeling.   I don't think religious or cultural pressure has anything to do with it.  so many have talked about it across the generations and across the different cultures.  It's sexual orientation.  That magnetic pull.

I think about men romantically, I just do, it's effortless.  and it is monogamously based - I'm glad it's like that as when I met the right man the pull towards him was so strong it turned my whole world upside down and I wouldn't want to feel like that about just any man!

October 26, 2020 10:28 pm  #7

I pulled that quote from a later in life lesbian forum and the 30+ replies that followed were: "wow that is exactly how I felt back when I had to have sex with my boyfriend/fiancé/husband"

and I agree with what lily said, I don't think about other men in a romantic or sexual manner - whilst I have no problem admitting that a guy is good-looking ("yeah, that is a handsome bastard, good for him") I have zero desire in "being" with other men (be it sexually or romantically speaking)

also I'm not a fan of this new age bullshit that has been going around these past few years (pan, bi, fluid, queer, ominsexual, etc..) in my opinion sexuality is pretty straight forward; you either like A or B - then again my ex was a closet lipstick lesbian who lied to me for over 30 years so my view on sexual orientation is definitely distorted

Last edited by rekamc (October 27, 2020 6:11 pm)

October 27, 2020 4:05 pm  #8

yes, I see it the same way.  I believe that for all the different types there is still a simple a or b of sexual orientation. It's like Schroedinger's cat - just because you can't see in the box doesn't mean it's both alive and dead - the cat is either alive or it's dead.  It can't be both.  objective reality.  I mean they can run fast trains on magnetic levitation.  The repulsion one way is as real as the attraction the other way.  How can you be oriented both ways?  

October 28, 2020 12:56 pm  #9

I pulled that quote from a later in life lesbian forum and the 30+ replies that followed were: "wow that is exactly how I felt back when I had to have sex with his boyfriend/fiancé/boyfriend"

Don't get me wrong, I think for a part of lesbian women it'll probably be like that. But this is not the general definition how lesbian women relate to sex with a man (or their husband).
It's much more diverse than that and many factors play a role. My wife just didn't feel the physical attraction, but never felt repulsed or something like that also. 
The main factor of her (growing) problem in our sexual relation (before she discovered to be lesbian) was that she didn't know what the cause of the problem was.
So to her the most painful aspect was: "What is wrong with me?"
When she found out 15 years ago, it was more like a relief to her to know she was lesbian and by that she found an explanation.  
Actually, knowing to be lesbian made our sexual relation easier to her. She didn't have to question herself anymore about lacking feelings of attraction that were supposed to be there. This didn't make her uncomfortable to be with me, and why would it? She considered: I was still the same person she married and been with for 20 years. Realizing she was lesbian didn't alter this suddently.
Your "quote out of context" is very different to my experience. (and also not what Glennon Doyle intended, reading the context of your quote in her book).

and I agree with what lily said, I don't think about other men in a romantic or sexual manner - whilst I have no problem admitting that a guy is good-looking ("yeah, that is a handsome bastard, good for him") I have zero desire in "being" with other men (be it sexually or romantically speaking)
also I'm not a fan of this new age bullshit that has been going around these past few years (pan, bi, fluid, queer, ominsexual, etc..) in my opinion sexuality is pretty straight forward; you either like A or B

Duh, I'm a straight man also. For most straights sexuality is pretty clear as well. 
But this doesn't mean it determines how all non-straights are. There it's not A or B, black or white, there is a lot of gray in between. Sure some are more extreme side of gayness (which probably make their sexuality as clear as it is for straights), but others are not. Sexual orientation shifts, or can be subordinate to other aspects. It's a very diverse world out there.
I don't think this is new age bulshit, but I agree some of the narrative is going further beyond into ideological territory. but this aspect/topic is too complex to address and goes off topic I think.

I can imagine the whole diversity feels threatening and unsettling, so reducing it to a simplified world view is like regaining some control over it. Here on SSN which is understandable, but this also seem to apply to the "later in life lesbians forum" which is somewhat remarkable.
IMO resorting to "quoting out of context" is a tell-tale sign. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quoting_out_of_context

then again my ex was a closet lipstick lesbian who lied to me for over 30 years so my view on sexual orientation is definitely distorted

The key may well be the "closet" aspect.
In the many stories I read, this aspect seems to be the game changer. Not the sexual orientation on itself, but how someone relates to it. Even, and more so, in a marriage with a straight spouse.
The "closet" that creates the denial, the secret and privatly kept focus, sometimes the narcissistic consequences for the personality over the years. The closet may well be the silent and hidden creeper, festering in a relation, that makes all the difference over the years.

December 18, 2020 12:45 pm  #10

Dutchman wrote:

Freedom of thought is freeing oneself from these external influences and making choices of your own. And true, sexual orientation is a personal aspect. But sexual orientation is just one part of one's "whole set" that makes us what we are. Mind you: to let that aspect rule all other aspects is also a choice!
And to make that explicit choice is certainly influenced by culture. Even to the extent that when one makes that choice to blindly follow what sexual orientation dictates, people describe this as being free...
But actually they are made willingness slaves of their own feelings and followers of comtempory culture without realizing it themselves.

For people in a MOM it's important to understand it's not only about sexual orientation, but also the cultural influences that play a major role. Especially the bi/gay spouses are subjected to that outside influence, it aligns with urges and feelings, so one has to be a real independent thinker to notice it's real effect.
But straights can be also dragged into this line of thought, typicaly resulting in "supportive behaviour". Not helping to rise above it all nor aimed to develop real choices of character for their spouse. 
Life choices should be stemming from the real person as a whole. Not just sexual orientation, but with all aspects included and integrated! Then, and only then, someone is really authentic.

(PS. I'm a straight man, married for 35 years. My wife found out to be lesbian after 20 years into marriage. We struggled to find a way, but arrived in a happy monogamous MOM, fulfilling to both and in all aspects).

Thank you for what you wrote here. This was helpful for me as I am new to navigating a similar scenario as you but I am the wife married for 23 years.  I think we can find a way to have a happy MOM like you.  

Board footera