OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 3, 2019 9:26 pm  #31

Re: What do I do now?

It is still shocking and unbelievable to me that my ex is GID because one thing I learnt is that denial doesn't mean don't know it means not telling.

If my ex said I'm gay to another person, any person, it would probably mean the world is about to end.

so I read your story about the gay colleague and imagined what it could be like in an unvarnished state - he dated his wife off and on for ten years and married at 29.  Plenty of room for exploring his 'bi side' in that.  Plenty of room to get the guilts for not being honest with his girlfriend but he ended up marrying her instead, even though he knew he wasn't in love with her.

Then at age 53 he finally meets a man he wants to be with.

Last edited by lily (May 3, 2019 9:27 pm)

September 9, 2020 3:26 pm  #32

There are certain stories that really stick with me—and this is one of them. Maybe because it was around the same time the bi bomb dropped on me....and I remember that wavering between hopefulness & despair.
Do you still come around here, Chalizbet? Wondering how things are for you nearly 1 1/2 years later. <3

September 11, 2020 4:11 am  #33

Hi Julian, 

I haven't been on this forum since May last year, but your post on my thread notified me via email, and had me logging back in - I have to thank you for that. It has been extremely cathartic to read over my initial thoughts during this experience. In a way I hardly even recognise the woman that wrote what she did, although I know she will always be with me.

I have to say, although my pain, confusion and fear were all very real, flash forward 16 months, and I can confidently say I am the strongest and happiest I have ever been in my life.

If the big question is, am I still with him, the answer is yes, we are still together, but not in the way we were. When he came out to me, it made me not only look at him and our relationship differently, but also look at myself in a whole new light. I was surprised how much it had me questioning myself, and how self-deprecating it made me. It took me some time to recognize how unacceptable that is… To doubt my self-worth over any man, whether I believe he is the love of my life or not, is not the kind of woman I ever want to be. This got me questioning why I was reacting the way I was, I felt that a lot of my emotions were a rational response; I think most people in our situation would feel hurt/confused/scared, and even the most confident of us would feel a little self-conscious and as though we weren’t enough. But the extent of how much it had me questioning myself was not okay. Which made me realize there was a deeper issue - I wasn’t happy within myself, and so instead I was depending on my partner for my happiness, which is not fair nor is it healthy.

With this realization came the work needed for growth (of which I still have a long way to go) but it started with the acknowledgement that although my partner was going through something big, I needed to take a beat for myself and assess my own needs before trying to support him. I began with small things, like spending more time alone, and enjoying hobbies I hadn’t since I was younger, I caught up with friends more and tried new things, which sounds like very simple stuff but I found it made a huge difference and helped to compartmentalise my life. By establishing a grounded world, full of people I love, and things I love to do separate from my partner, I learned to love myself again and knew I could live a full and rich life on my own. This then gave me freedom, which I hadn’t felt since he came out. To have the option to choose to leave at any time and know I would be okay is huge, it has taken a lot of work, and it is something I will never disregard again. I think one of the biggest issues many of us have in our position is that we feel trapped, especially if we have established a life with our partners and committed years of growing together, not to mention starting families. However, by not just having the option but knowing that I will be okay meant that my decision to stay was out of want and not need, and it has made all the difference. Having this new found freedom gave me confidence to help him on his journey laterally as I was on my own journey, and support him within this new found self without sacrificing my mental health but actually improving it.

Another element that has been instrumental in us being about to make it work is our open communication and honestly, which I felt we always had, but it has become so much stronger as we have waded through this mess. Throughout it all I have seen him become a better/brighter/happier version of the man I love, where I see he feels free to be exactly who he is and is accepted. Regarding the sexual discovery side of things, we have not opened our relationship, nor do we intend to. However, without going into too many details, about 6 months in, when we had both had enough time to process everything, we started to try a few different things with accessories. I have found I quite like it myself, and feel more powerful, sexy and confident in the bedroom then I have in years. Although, our intimacy predominately remains vanilla and I find that when I ask if he wants to do more, his answer is no more often than it is yes, although he says that he loves that it’s an option - so I guess we will see how that develops.

I think it’s important to communicate that I still fear that his feelings for men will develop with time. But with that said, that fear is parallel to the fear that he might become sick one day, or have a heart attack or be in an accident (all of which would not be his fault). Except in those scenarios I would lose him forever, in this scenario our romantic relationship would end, which is something I would far rather than any of the other alternatives. So it has just become another risk to add the list that everyone has when loving someone (albeit a somewhat unique risk than most).

Wow that was a bigger novel than my first post, I hope I didn’t ramble too much! I also don’t want to put off the vibe that I am completely okay and life is perfect. We are continuously working at this and some days are harder than others, but so long as we both love each other and are willing to put in the time to keep our relationship healthy and happy, along with practicing self-love, then I think things will be okay.

P.S Something else to note is that I have spent a lot of time on Reddit within a sub-chat of mixed sexual orientation relationships. Early on I found a great group, it is made up of mostly spouses, but there are some bisexual partners also which is good for insight/perspective. It is a really positive network, but we don’t shy away from the tough stuff too. My partner and I have found it extremely helpful to have peers on both sides to talk to about common struggles whilst working towards similar goals. Let me know if you are interested in joining, or I am happy to chat here any time! Hope you and yours are well!

Love, C

Last edited by Chalizbet (September 11, 2020 4:15 am)

September 11, 2020 7:08 am  #34

Hi Chalizbet
Apologies for 'hijacking' your response to Julian, however, I just wanted to thank you for your honesty and positivity - it's good to know there can be life at the end of this tunnel.
Take care x

Remember..you are braver than you believe, stronger than you feel and smarter than you think.

September 11, 2020 10:06 am  #35

Chalizbet, Thank you!!! I came here looking for a positive way through all of this and your words are a wonderful beacon.

September 14, 2020 1:10 am  #36

Hi Musselburgh and Stronger,

I'm glad to hear that you both got something from my story.
Before I found the sub chats on Reddit, I was in a very dark place, not only because of the situation in general (which I think would send anyone spiraling), but also the fact that despite spending hours and hours online, all I seemed to come across was awful stories, all with negative endings… Not to mention that the majority of people I came into contact with spoke with such certainty that I either had to leave or let the situation crush me… there was no alternative presented.

However, considering how complex the human condition is, to heap all experiences into the one category didn’t seem right to me. But I acknowledge that I was also desperate for another narrative (I imagine we all are in the beginning). So I heeded the many warnings given, but I didn’t accept that it was the end, which led me to Reddit, where I found hundreds of accounts of couples making it work, and I was able to draw so much power and strength from that.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that a very large percentage of our circumstances are 'doomed' so to speak. Whether it be that our partners are indeed gay/lesbian, or that they are bisexual but there is too much of a breakdown of trust/communication/pain, or that the couple just can't overcome the many difficulties involved in a mixed sexual orientation relationship. But finding positive stories and first-hand accounts from others discussing their struggles/trials/tribulations/losses and wins, was legitimately life-changing.

This is why I think it is important to share my story, not to give people a false sense of hope and that everything will be sunshine and roses, but to demonstrate that this isn’t necessarily a relationship ‘death sentence’ either. I think if I hadn’t come across the support network I did, I would have found myself giving up on my partner and our relationship. So hopefully by hearing my story, people will see that there is the possibility of "light at the end of the tunnel", but also understand that every circumstance is different and that if their situation has the prospect for a positive outcome, there is a hell of a lot of work required to get there and stay there.

Anyway, I am happy to talk anytime, (the value/importance of a community and peers cannot be overstated).
I wish nothing but the best for the both of you (as well as anyone in our situation), everyone deserves love and happiness, and sometimes the things life throws at us feels very unfair, but all we can do is grow stronger from it. 

Love, C

Last edited by Chalizbet (September 14, 2020 1:12 am)

October 16, 2020 3:36 pm  #37

Chalizbet, 

It seems like you were doing well when you last posted. I hope you’re still doing well. Could you possibly post links to some of the Reddit sub chats you like? 

Tangled 

October 18, 2020 7:15 am  #38

Control,
You have given me a lot to think about. I am 48 with two teen daughters who found out this past August and are devastated..
My husband has finally “decided” he is bi but  says he wants me and wants us to work it out.  I should have left years ago when I thought something was off. I am keeping my guard up for now for my kids sake.....

October 18, 2020 8:16 am  #39

Chalizbet,

You are amazing  and have given me hope that I can get through this.... Thank you for sharing your wisdom......

October 18, 2020 9:10 pm  #40

I'm sorry + the range of emotions you mention are all too familiar.  I also do not minimize your 8 years - that was the length of my relationship as well.  If there is any positive 'spin' at all on your story - at least he came to you with the feelings/admission.  I discovered text messages between my ex fiancee and men; ongoing in our hometown, when he was out of town for work, random.  He has only admitted to just one of the men only because I knew his name.  He claims no sex and only meeting 3 times. What I know is that he would spend the day/evening with me, and then sneak out at night with his guy. To be honest, I feel I would have a much different standpoint had he been proactively honest or even honest once I started to ask questions. He's still lying so now it's about the betrayal. Secondarily about the fact that he may be gay, yet he says he's not.  I believe he is, but deep in denial.  I'm still in my own hell, but I would say take care of yourself and feel all of the emotions.  Some days are better than others.  I have learned that triggers can happen any time and I just have to ride it out. I now keep a box of Kleenex on the front seat of my car because driving/crying is real! Wishing you some peace.....

Last edited by blindone (October 18, 2020 9:11 pm)

Board footera