OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 9, 2020 4:13 pm  #11

Re: Wife of 20 years is Lesbian

Lynne wrote:

You are only supposed to post in the MOM section as I understand.  If I'm wrong admin will let me know.  

I'm a straight spouse, there is no reason why I would be prohibited to post in the Support section.
True, I usually limit my responses to the MOM section, and intent to keep it that way. But as I wrote, the initial situation described in this topic is very, very (!) much alike my situation was.
So there you have the explanation why, as an exception, I responded in this section this time.

You have no right to take a condescending tone to anyone on this board.

And that was also certainly not my intention!

I explained not all stories are the same, and make a case for more acknowledgment of this fact. 
New posters, in a state of confusion are in a very vulnerable situation. Participants should feel the responsibility to discern whether the situation at hand is comparable to the situation they themselves know. 
Maybe some are not fully aware of certain differences that could be of great importance. The sole intention of my post is to point that out, to create (more) awareness of the importance of the differences due to the underlying situation and motivations.

It's my purpose to seek the best interest of everyone here, not at all to condescent or attack anyone. I hope you trust my intentions.

September 9, 2020 4:15 pm  #12

I second that/ Dutchman is a straight spouse and can post anywhere. Also, he has a lot of experience, and what he says usually has something to back it up. He doesn’t just say things out of the blue. So, give a little respect, just as he does. He was just making an observation based on his experience.

September 9, 2020 5:05 pm  #13

JoeC wrote:

9 months ago I had the you are gay and this marriage is not going to work moving forward confrontation conversation with my exwife. She was gay, always had been, used the "Im Bi" to avoid the reality of who she was. We had been married for nearly 20 years. This was the last place I expected to be at 43 years old. I was looking for a road map of sorts to help me make sense of my path forward.  Feel free to message me for conversation.

There's no real roadmap as not all of our situations are the same (although similarities may abound). Even time frames are not carved in stone. This is a lot more like the grieving process. It has overlapping stages of denial, sadness, anger, etc. Eventually it hurts less, you take a more "if I only knew" view of things and so on. To get there you need to let go. It doesn't mean you're OK with what happened, just that you're no longer going to let that past define your future. You say ex-wife so I'm assuming this means you have divorced. If you're ready, I'd suggest stepping into something that interests you. Granted that might be harder to do during a pandemic but maybe there's some online ways to get started? Become part of a community of people with a shared interest. Also I hope you have someone you can talk to about the realities of what you have experienced. It really does help when you have a trusted person who knows how to listen.

Hope something here is of value to you.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

September 9, 2020 5:19 pm  #14

goodness Susanne, well that is very supportive of the Dutchman so I will counterbalance it with my support for Lynne whom I consider a kindly person and a very valuable poster.  I always read her posts with interest and I know she will have sage advice.

September 9, 2020 5:21 pm  #15

Dutchman wrote:

@TakenBySurprise:
The situation with a transgender person is a totally different situation than a LGB person. So how do you know what's good advice in this?

@JoeC
There are important differences between someone suddenly discovering one's sexual orientation, and spouses who were aware all along, but consciously hiding these feelings for years (in some level of denial and/or were closeted).

It's not useful when important differences are ignored and every situation is considered and handled like a one-size-fits-all case.

The reason I write this post is that Guywithlesbian's background story is near identical to my/our owns. It's close to my heart, I've been there and certainly know what I'm talking about.
It's not about denial nor lying and intentionally leading somebody on. It's not like many "standard stories" and certainly not about transgender issues.

If a woman, after many years in marriage, discovers she actually is lesbian, it's to be expected she's totally ecstatic, emotions go of the charts. What else do you expect how it is for someone when this happens?
She's feeling what she should have felt in the relation for 20 years, and now she realizes it! Falling in love, a whole new world of feelings opening up. A new way of looking into the world. Also having the answer why sexuality and physical attraction in the marriage with her husband didn't was what is was supposed to be.
This all is certainly a major event. As a consequence she's not thinking rationally, which is understandable. And also the reason the straight spouse has an important role to try to be (something) like a rock in this turmoil.
How it turns out, nobody can know, it depends on the personality of the persons involved and the choices they make.
That's decisive in any MOM situation, but certainly the one described in this topic, where critically important choices are to be made in a very tumultuous setting.

Point is: I hope I made clear this is NOT comparable to a lot of other's situations, simply because it's also about a gay person in a straight marriage.

And it's by no means my intention to downplay the importance and/or impact of the personal experiences of TakenBySurprise or JoeC. Let that be clear also! 

I know the advice not to leave the house is good because I'm an attorney.  Whatever else he chooses to do about how his marriage should or should not continue is, of course, completely up to him.  But legally, it's not smart to move out of the house from the perspective of asset division or child custody.  

September 9, 2020 5:48 pm  #16

SusanneH wrote:

.....Dutchman is a straight spouse and can post anywhere.

He may be a straightspouse but as he's in a obviously-successful MOM there should be no reason for him to post elsewhere. I was snipped at a couple of times when I was deciding if a MOM was for me, and had posted on another board. 

KIA KAHA                       

September 9, 2020 6:03 pm  #17

TakenBySurprise wrote:

I know the advice not to leave the house is good because I'm an attorney.  Whatever else he chooses to do about how his marriage should or should not continue is, of course, completely up to him.  But legally, it's not smart to move out of the house from the perspective of asset division or child custody.  

Okay. The scope of your reply is much more clear by that. 

September 9, 2020 6:12 pm  #18

Lily wrote:

so I will counterbalance it ...

Let's not go that way. It's not what it's all about is it?
I'm sorry if I offended anyone, that was not my goal. We're here to help people. I'm sure you all agree with that.

September 9, 2020 7:12 pm  #19

It's all about feelings Dutchman.  It's good you're sorry for offending anyone, that's good enough for me.  

September 9, 2020 9:09 pm  #20

Dutchman wrote:

And also the reason the straight spouse has an important role to try to be (something) like a rock in this turmoil.

I had to address this because I think it's such a toxic idea. Straight people are not support humans for the LGBTQ community. We are not crutches. We are not human sacrifices. And we are under no obligation to be such for people who enter into relationships with us under false pretenses. There should be no expectation that we assume that 'role' or that we 'try' to be someone's rock in turmoil of their creation. They can work that out with a therapist or their clergy if they are so inclined. Straight people have no duty to stay with someone who has lied to or abused them.

Frankly, I think this is poor advice regardless of sexuality. Telling someone it's their responsibility to try and make it work is a guilt trip. It keeps all sorts of people in bad situations way too long. If it's not healthy, if it's abusive, if someone is lying to you or treating you in an unacceptable way, you have every right to leave. Period.

Board footera