OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 2, 2020 9:38 pm  #1

To those succeeding with MOM

How did you get past the initial phase of accepting your spouse's orientation? How did you trust again? When did you stop crying??? What has been the key to your success. I need some positive here.

My husband had been seeing a therapist for anxiety over his realization of his sexual preferences. He was unsure how to tell me until one day I stumbled upon the truth myself. Great conversations ensued, including that I was never to blame, that I am attractive and he wants me in so many ways. He was open to questions and to support me. He doesn't want anything to change. He likes the idea of another man but does not want to try the reality.

I want us both to be happy. I need to feel wanted and right now I just feel lonely. I often wish I didn't know, I'm sure you've all felt that way... I need connection in all ways and I need to know if that's even possible. I also need to trust him and right now that's shaky at best.

Over the years with the therapist it turns out he had also texted fantasies, based on provocative pictures, with a friend. This friend is openly gay. I found these communications and that is what killed the trust, not the coming out or keeping it a secret. These communications ceased when I asked about them. As far as I can tell, he has kept to his word.

He says I am the most important person in his world but it's not feeling that way right now. It feels like he has already moved on from my discovering the truth and he expects me to do the same but... it was a pretty big hit for me so I'm not bouncing back so easily. Finding this site has been a blessing to realize so many of my feelings are normal!!! So tell me, how do we move on? (Together... I know the other option but I don't want to travel that path until I've exhausted the potential on this one.)

Thanks!

September 3, 2020 9:04 am  #2

Re: To those succeeding with MOM

It's most important that you both want to go for your marriage. As in really go for it, because it'll take a lot of time and commitment. This includes that your husband realizes the consequences of this choice, it's having the cake or eating it, but not both.

How did you get past the initial phase of accepting your spouse's orientation? How did you trust again? When did you stop crying??? What has been the key to your success. I need some positive here.

Acceptance is more than acknowledging the fact of your husbands sexual orientation, it is the first (necessary) step. And it's important to face it as it is, not denying or downplaying it.
Complete acceptance has to evolve, because as long as his sexual orientation causes you to feel hurt (rejected), it's not really possible to fully accept it. 
Rebuilding trust is no different. Through talking, honesty and openness, trust can and will eventually be restored. There is no magical method for it, it happens in the background.

All depends on the personality of you both, what love is about, and the way you make choices in life. In our experience the sexual orientation on itself is of less importance. 
For instance if your husband thinks fulfilling his sexual wants is more important than you, it won't work out. That's no rocket science. But the consequence is also that his choices and decisions are aimed at you and your relation together. 
That should be his priority, not his sexual orientation. This is not about suppressing or denial, rather giving it the place where it belongs: It's a part of himself, but not his "all defining identity" as contemporary culture tries to convey.

I suspect his sexual orientation was a central item in his thoughts for years. Keeping it hid from you for that long was not a wise thing to do, because I think it grows in perceived importance that way. And creates problems in the sexual relation that could be avoided.
It's also clear the communication and honesty in your marriage wasn't what it should be (at least from his part). But you wrote: 

I often wish I didn't know, I'm sure you've all felt that way... 

I understand what you mean, because of how you feel at the moment and I sympathize with that. But I don't agree. Because before the honesty wasn't what it should be, the communication wasn't going well, deep feelings weren't opened up.
Not knowing would be living a life that avoided much of what/who your husband is, and also sharing yourself and your needs and feelings. Don't get me wrong, it's not your fault your husband is the way he is and acted the way he did. But you could also approach this crisis as an opportunity to get things right, that otherwise could have dragged along (for whatever the reason of it). 

When my wife came-out to me being lesbian, my world came crashing down, it was awful. It felt like the worst that could happen to me. And indeed I was totally unhappy and very anxious, it sure felt desperate at times. 
But we went for it and came through it. Now I look back on it as the best thing that could have happened to me (and for my wife that's the same). A crisis always means suffering, but it can bring about that changes you would never have come to in some ordinary easy way. But again it depends on how you BOTH go in and through it. If one just sees this as an opportunity to his/her own fulfilling at the expense of the other, it will bring only harm.

From what you write I get the impression your husband has the intention to go for you and your marriage. There are positive aspects in what you write about how he now deals with it and what he tells you about his feelings. But I certainly understand your feelings too, not much different than me or anybody in your situation. 
But you know your husband best, not just his sexuality but the complete person. It's hard to describe the all important prerequisite, but I think I somewhat can describe it with a question: "What is his true legacy he wants to leave behind?"
The honest answer to that question will tell you whether it's wise to take up the major challenge to make a MOM succeed. (and of course it's also up to you whether you want it yourself in the first place).

So tell me, how do we move on? (Together... I know the other option but I don't want to travel that path until I've exhausted the potential on this one.)

Wow, now that's a direct question if there is one!

Some main ingredients you know, and even experienced a bit. Acceptance, open and honest communication (and thats rewarding!). You may think it's already quite something, but you just started.
Don't expect this to take some months, it's probably more like years. The open honest communication thing, should be there to stay  
Are you there yet? Is he totally open? Are you? I don't think so, it takes much time to develop it. Really being open and honest is so much more difficult than it looks like (or we are willing to admit to ourselves).
And there is also the complicating factor that we don't want to hurt the one we love more than is needed. It's a complicated dance to get there, and it takes lots of time and talks.

The sexual relation is another thing that is important. To my opinion its necessary to keep intimacy alive in a marriage, most of all because that is a special aspect you only share with each other. And it's delicate and precious, so a workplace for love.
It's an easy way out to let this go when homosexuality turns out to be part of the marriage. But I really think allowing not to be sexual intimate is a sure way to break down the relation over time.
We consciously decided to keep our sexual relation going. Aware of the lacking physical passion from my wives side, but still out of love for each other. Is it a strange thing, having sex out of love?
Well, we just made the best of it. It was not what it could be, but it still had good and certainly had love and caring in it. Because the intentions were beautiful on its own right. It's necessary to talk this over well, being sensitive and caring about the other, finding some way to make it work for both sides.
Again: lots of talk and communication! But keep trying to build a bridge to each other, also through sexuality. Limited as it may be, don't give up on it. The focus is on the importance of the other and what you form together, this is the joint venture you share aka "love".

For us it turned out sexual feelings developed. Somewhere out of the blue, and we didn't expect it. It seems that if conditions are right, sexual orientation doesn't mean that much. 
Flowing love and connectedness, being open and accepted, being true to each other and the bond and importance of the other in marriage. That is key. It may take some time to discover, but that is it.

September 3, 2020 1:51 pm  #3

Dutchman, I cannot thank you enough for your reply! My husband seems to be more on board with MOM right now than myself, mostly because I’m still reeling from the shock and trust issues... I still have some questions and it seemed like he was ready to say “that part is out so we can just be normal again” and I’m like “not quite so fast...” - last night he was thrilled to learn that I have found support here and he is willing to answer my questions to help me feel supported and safe.

There is definitely love and respect in our relationship, I just need a little time to get the trust back. Thank you for the positives, I needed them.

September 4, 2020 11:19 am  #4

It's so understandable you need time. You have so much to process and that's not only rationally and trying to understand your husband, but also the emotional impact this has on yourself.
You should allow yourself that, without feeling you're supposed to do that more quickly. I'm sure your mind is making overtime, so it's better to take a daily walk and put some relaxing into your schedule than rush.

Your husband already had a lot of time to think things over. It's somewhat understandable he now feels like "move along", but well, that is not fair nor realistic. Because he knows what he feels, has access to it so to speak. 
But you have to figure it out through talking. Next to all that, you yourself have to deal with this totally new situation you're in. And that's a lot! I've been there and I surely know and understand. 
It would be helpful if your husband understands more and better what you're going through. Maybe couples therapy can help with that? A therapist understanding your situation and conveying it to your husband, helping him to understand and be more patient while you give things a place in yourself.
Or even just you writing a letter/mail or something to your husband, explaining your thoughts, fears and feelings.
He may have got some grip and understanding on his own sexuality, but he's not informed about you in all that. That's a new aspect he has to think and learn about. How to deal with his wife, and her feelings. That is about the actual now, 
I hope he gets that, and you both get more in sync, dealing with this together.

There is so much more on the road ahead of you both. Don't rush, take it a step at the time.
Trust will return if you both go on that way further, but accept what it is, as it is, for now.

September 4, 2020 11:38 am  #5

Hi Stronger! 
How did you get past the initial phase of accepting your spouse's orientation?
One of the first things you have to realize is that you are still in mourning of the death of your first relationship.  The new one you forge can be based in some of the same things that made your relationship successful, but new ways of communicating and connecting have to be discovered.  If you haven't already started couples therapy, that would be a good place to start.  Or even seeing a therapist just for you.  You're already doing one thing now, which is finding people who are going to support you in your new journey.  Once you have lived through the stages of grief for the relationship, it is easier to heal.  This grief can last from 6 months to 4 years depending on the depth of deception and betrayal that you feel.

How did you trust again?
This can feel insurmountable.  What areas do you trust him with now?  Does he follow through in his responsibilities?  Has he talked to you about his fantasies?  Have you explored ways to incorporate his sexual expression into your sex life?  Have you asserted to him what you want in your sex life?  For us, sex is more than just coitus.  it is the deep and abiding connection we feel expressed through an intimate action.  Our sex is more than selfish gratification.  It is the a tangible form of love.  If you haven't used these to rebuild your marriage, try theGottman Cards.

Is faith a part of your lives?  If so, then I also have resources for that.  My husband is Catholic, and we incorporate their teachings into our marriage.  Some keywords they talk about are:  communication styles, conflict resolution, forgiveness, loving language, honoring, couple time, and cultivating gratitude.

Do you know how you feel and receive his love?  What ways can he tangibly show you how he is committed to a marriage and partnership with you?  The 5 love languages is a common way to determine this.

Over the years with the therapist it turns out he had also texted fantasies, based on provocative pictures, with a friend. This friend is openly gay. I found these communications and that is what killed the trust, not the coming out or keeping it a secret. These communications ceased when I asked about them. As far as I can tell, he has kept to his word.
I understand this part.  It is not the feelings that are wrong, but the fact that he did things without your consent or knowledge.  My husband and I work hard on consent.  I like knowing that he is making friends with gay or bi men.   I can never truly understand because I am 100% heterosexual.  I can make sure that he is surrounded by people that will support him and our marriage.  Have you considered weekly meetings with your spouse so that you dedicate time to the rolling issues?  Many of my friends have started using something close tothis method (straight or MOM)  Be intentional about when you talk about it.  You can get fatigued from doing it too much or even stressed from containing it and not talking enough.

When did you stop crying?
If you are finding difficulty with this and it has been several months and you are sobbing every day there are some options.  EDMR therapy can help your brain process it (I used it after I was inconsolable when my grandmother died).  Setting aside time in your schedule for crying can help.  Telling someone when you are crying so you don't feel alone.  Journaling your feelings when you are sad.

Remember, it typically takes 18 months - 2 years to break the threshold of mistrust.  And anytime you find more information about his deception and lies, it can set you back again.  Know you are not alone.  As Dutchman has so eloquently stated, it takes so much honest communication both in and out of the bedroom.

I also will push this.  Self care.  We talk so much about our spouse, when we need to remember that we are number one priority.  It is easy to focus on them because their desires and cause painful feelings in the hetero spouse.  Please make sure you focus on your own health and what they are doing to support you in that endeavor.  How is your spouse making your mental, physical, sexual, spiritual health better?

Board footera