OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 11, 2020 4:48 pm  #1

Covid19/Coronavirus...how is everyone's situation?

After 100 days of no community transmission we had a report last night of 4 confirmed cases (in one family) so Auckland, one of our biggest cities, is now closed...Nobody in or out for 3 days, maybe more, as the authorities try to determine the source of it. The rest of the country has been put on alert.

How is everybody else faring?

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

August 11, 2020 6:24 pm  #2

Re: Covid19/Coronavirus...how is everyone's situation?

It seems like opening an area only invites the rate to increase. In San Francisco, we have loosened up a teeny, tiny bit since March 17. As long as there is social distancing, we can do non-necessary shopping as long as it’s not in a mall & outdoor dining. That’s it. We have to wear masks at all times when outdoors. Our cases & deaths are at a continued slow pace - neither better nor worse. 

I wish I could go to church, am Catholic, but they are closed. My pastor passed away last month (the one who told me to leave the GIDXH asap & file for a civil divorce).  No one was allowed to attend his funeral. He was only 68.

I am attending a grief support group at another parish with an excellent facilitator. Have attended Catholic divorce support groups & they weren’t helpful to me. 

I am certain it’s monotonous for us all to be so cautious & painful to not socialize in person after TGT.  I wish all of you the best as we wait COVID out.

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

August 12, 2020 7:13 am  #3

Small farm county in central Illinois. 267 cases. The state is under a mask order but most businesses are not enforcing it. Most places I go into I am one of the few wearing one. Guess that is why the US is in such bad shape when it comes to the virus.

August 12, 2020 10:30 am  #4

The number of cases in my county shot up in July--more than doubling the case count for the previous four months, and now the university where I taught is opening to on campus classes with first year students moving in yesterday (I live in a neighborhood very close to campus).  As with year round residents in other college towns, I would prefer that the colleges weren't bringing in thousands of students who can't be counted on to act responsibly.  There were two houses of them down the street for me last spring, and they had numerous parties with many, many students in attendance, even though our state was under a lockdown.  

When my state began to open up, in June and July, when the temperatures permitted, I began having friends over to socialize on my porch, no more than four of us at any one time, and all of them people I knew were also, like me, very careful and with a small circle of others they socialized or lived with.  To be able to have a glass of wine or a cup of coffee or glass of iced tea and talk face to face was and is wonderful, and I hope the arrival of students and an upswing in cases doesn't shut down my social life again.

I am also waiting until the case count goes down across the country before traveling a thousand miles to visit my 94 year old mother, and I would like to do that as soon as I believe the risk is acceptable. 

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (August 12, 2020 12:16 pm)

August 12, 2020 11:03 am  #5

I'm on the East Coast.  I moved to another state just before the virus hit.  It's hard to get resettled and I have met no one except a couple of neighbors.  Still, it's okay.  Our area was not hard-hit like some other parts of the state, and everyone wears masks in public.  There are some positives.  Not much traffic when I have to drive back to my former state for business reasons.  And I have been able to keep up with several groups I'm involved with via Zoom.  That probably would not have happened were it not for the corona virus.  Still, I am praying for a vaccine and an end to this awfulness.  

August 12, 2020 7:49 pm  #6

longwayhome wrote:

Elle, I read about this. I was so sadden to hear. Someone brought into the country, one of those four?.....

Longway hello. There were an initial 4 people from the same family, but with a robust tracing system they have been able to determine that one of those traveled to one of the tourist spots here so hundreds of people were tested there yesterday. A child from the family meant her whole school had to be tested, and both parents work in different parts of Auckland. The virus can spread it's Covid fingers to many corners. 
 Invisibly too

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

August 13, 2020 4:16 am  #7

In CA, both the rural county I live in and the county I worked in are shut down. I “could” move my business outdoors, but our weather is in the hundreds, up to 107° this week. So no way.
Almost no one wears a mask up here, if you go in the little country stores some men aren’t even wearing shirts, so masks are too big of an ask I suppose. *sigh*
My 4 kids started distance learning, and they have  so many check ins and live classes throughout each day. My stress is through the roof. I’m horrified at being stuck at home solidly five days every week, not able to work on my business or even drive to the lake to study. I’m so worn down from having to deal with my GIDH. He’s thrilled, he gets to work from home plus have us all trapped here. My chest has gotten so tight and painful today that if I hadn’t already had all the tests for my heart I would be going to the doctor tomorrow. 
I’m thankful I have some savings of my own. I’m thankful I have a great support group for my business to help me once the restrictions ease up.  And I’m thankful for all of you staying in touch on here. It’s unfortunate but comforting to not be the only one.

August 13, 2020 3:44 pm  #8

MJM017 wrote:

........................ My pastor passed away last month (the one who told me to leave the GIDXH asap & file for a civil divorce). No one was allowed to attend his funeral. He was only 68................ I wish all of you the best as we wait COVID out.

MJ...that must have been so sad, to lose somebody able to see & understand what you were going through.....and give you the advice you needed. Did he catch the virus?
As for the virus...I think the wait will be longer than we're hoping

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

August 13, 2020 3:48 pm  #9

Clif wrote:

Small farm county in central Illinois. 267 cases. The state is under a mask order but most businesses are not enforcing it. Most places I go into I am one of the few wearing one. Guess that is why the US is in such bad shape when it comes to the virus.

Clif....that's a heap of cases, with people not understanding the link between how Covid is caught and not wearing a mask. I'm not in the city where the virus has broken out here again but even I wear one when I'm around people I don't know, or on public transport

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

August 13, 2020 4:04 pm  #10

OutofHisCloset wrote:

OOoHC....from the initial 4 cases earlier this week we now have 17 in total, in Auckland, and hearing of some Aucklanders 'escaping' the city and going to holiday homes, which can only hinder the efforts to keep it contained. 
Not sure if my daughter's planned September wedding will have it's numbers altered or be cancelled all together. 
It's all in the lap of Covid19 

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

Board footera