OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 11, 2020 1:23 pm  #11

Re: Reality has been cancelled

"It was as though our respective positions on the intersectional chart of victimhood meant that I was at fault no matter how much she lied and bullied me and others."

It's not fair, is it? Society has made a great misstep in ordering victims. We used to freely understand that those betrayed, lied to, used, abused, were the victims. Now it's believed that society is the great victimizer by virtue of nothing but supposition, and that's all that matters.

"Do I have to be sorry for being a straight white male because women, gay, trans, and people of color experience personal pain?  Does their pain lessen my own because of my 'privilege' of being a straight white male?"

Definitely not. There are those of us out here that still know actual from fantasy constructed victim. Checking ones "privilege" in the midst of actual abuse is a repulsive dismissal based on some loony projection of personal guilt by the person that says it. It's a profoundly ridiculous trope made purely to shutdown the speaker. "Check your privilege" translates to "shut-up and drink the Kool-aid".

I'm so sorry you're experiencing this, Vic. I positively understand where you're coming from on this.

August 11, 2020 2:40 pm  #12

It is not about being fair.  Our white male dominated society has long dismissed the pain and suffering experienced by women, gay, trans, and citizens of color.  To me, that is not in question.

The issue comes from how we deal with it.  

To me, all humans are 99.99% the same.  The wonderful variation we see around us can all be accounted for within that .01% difference between each individual.  The fact that white males have dominated the culture is a failure of appreciating individuality and the essential humanness of each person.

However, instead of finally really looking at and valuing individuals, intersectional 'woke' theory simply elevates racial and gender groups who are not white and male.  It values classifying people within overlapping Venn-diagram circles of victimhood - a place where all white male pain and cultural expectation is excluded and dismissed as privilege.  

This does two things: it promotes the artificial idea that empathy and understanding can only be shared among people who have the exact same background, and it simultaneously alienates white male citizens from joining a necessary rethink of our collective social patterns.  Rather than looking at the problem as one that can be overcome through understanding and education, intersectional theory reduces the problem of white male dominance to hardened culture war status.  Rather than attack the structures within which white males are also trapped, intersectionality simplistically says that white males are the problem that must be overcome.  

This isn't about fair or not.  The world is not fair.  It is simply that intersectional theory is the wrong tool to change the world.  All it does is to amplify race and culture war by dismissing our ability to understand each other based on our shared humanity.  It exposes the lie that there is any sort of sainthood in victimhood.

The sad reality is that victims often victimize others.  It is a vicious cycle that can only be stopped by validating every human's ability to feel empathy and understanding toward every other human being, regardless of their intersectional background.

August 11, 2020 5:45 pm  #13

"It is not about being fair"

My use of the word fair is in conveying how I feel about you getting a societal kick while you're already down.

August 11, 2020 7:01 pm  #14

I get it.  And I wasn't disagreeing with you.  Apologies and thank you for your care.

Board footera