OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 7, 2020 12:54 pm  #1

Reality has been cancelled

Super good short article by Helen Dale.

https://thecritic.co.uk/reality-has-been-cancelled/

August 9, 2020 2:29 am  #2

Re: Reality has been cancelled

This article is pretty much right on.  Reality is NOT affected by what a person says or does.  Reality does not depend upon someone to "believe" in it - it just IS.  When someone tells me that a hidden sex life does not affect me - that is NOT reality and that someone has no way of knowing what does and does not affect me in any case.  Reality just IS and is NOT subjective.  Destructive behavior is just that and it doesn't matter who does it or who they do it to - it is STILL destructive.

August 9, 2020 1:18 pm  #3

TwistingInTheWind,

Exactly. I linked this article as it seems to speak to what so many of us deal with. Reality has been supplanted by a feeling, idea, or fantasy by spouses in so many of our cases.

There's been an explosion in our society of identity adoption. Identity that is counter to lived realities. Along with this identity explosion has come the societal explosion in the form of enabling, unquestioning support, coming out celebrations, shaming straight people for questioning the new identities, strict affirmation counselling, hormones and surgeries, the list is immense. I can't even begin to cover it it's so large.

This article really resonated with me on two levels - personal and societal.

August 9, 2020 3:19 pm  #4

Deleted.

Last edited by Lynne (October 3, 2020 5:32 pm)

August 9, 2020 3:36 pm  #5

Lynne same here.

August 9, 2020 4:13 pm  #6

Deleted.  

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (August 9, 2020 7:49 pm)

August 9, 2020 4:33 pm  #7

Deleted

Last edited by Lynne (August 9, 2020 8:58 pm)

August 9, 2020 11:07 pm  #8

I'm not an academic, only made it to school certificate level....so my POV May not mean a lot.
Everybody today is allowed an opinion, and a voice to speak it. 
 Once upon a time a teacher would say the sky is blue. Today we have theories on why it's blue, how it became blue, what and who made it blue, and theories on why it now wants to be pink and why it has a right to be an authentic sky. The world is filling up with so many words ..and...it's overflowing!

I'll always prefer my sky overcast with a warmth I can see and believe in...because that's the way I like it. 

Elle

Last edited by Ellexoh_nz (August 9, 2020 11:08 pm)

KIA KAHA                       

August 10, 2020 1:12 am  #9

I like the title - Reality has been Cancelled - that's exactly what it's like.  You can't cancel reality of course but there is an increasingly strident opinion that you can, and I have begun to wonder if it isn't something to do with the psychology of non-straights, that makes them more susceptible to believe they can.

August 10, 2020 2:41 pm  #10

This article really hits on aspects of the 'woke' cultural movement that really hurt me during the collapse of my marriage to my GID narcissist wife.  We were both working together at a liberal arts college when she began a long affair with a lesbian professor.  It was as though our respective positions on the intersectional chart of victimhood meant that I was at fault no matter how much she lied and bullied me and others.  Do I have to be sorry for being a straight white male because women, gay, trans, and people of color experience personal pain?  Does their pain lessen my own because of my 'privilege' of being a straight white male?  According to the increasingly hardening orthodoxy around race and gender in higher ed, absolutely!!!  

Ugh.

Board footera