OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 27, 2020 2:36 pm  #1

New to group, spouse MTF transgender

Hi! I’m new to the group. I’ve been married for almost 7 years, have been with my spouse since high school, and we have a six month old son. A couple years ago my husband sort of halfway “came out” as gender queer/gender fluid, but after initially addressing it we didn’t really discuss it much. Recently my husband has said he’s confident he’s actually a transgender woman. He doesn’t think he wants to do anything to permanently alter his body or hormones (he’s generally wary  when it comes to medications and things that alter your body/mind), but he does want to be recognized as a trans woman in our relationship and to some extend outwardly although we haven’t discussed specifics of what that means or looks like. We have a very close and what I consider to be special and unique bond, however, I am of course still struggling to process this somewhat “new” information, and trying to manage my own fears and anxieties while I provide a safe and open space for my spouse. I don’t think I’m ready yet to hear or process what exactly being trans means to him yet (he seems to have some idea at least with respect to certain things), but my goal is to handle this responsibility to give us a fighting chance, which means safeguarding my mental health and not diving into things too fast, and he (he hasn’t requested new pronouns yet so I’ll refer to my spouse as he here) has also agreed to a “slow roll out” if you will. Anyway, any and all support is appreciated. I don’t even really know what to ask, but just knowing I’m not alone is helpful.

July 27, 2020 4:56 pm  #2

Re: New to group, spouse MTF transgender

Knc,
   I'm the ex-wife of a man who told me he had decided he was transgender.  He had been exploring this idea secretly for about three years before he told me about it, and when he did tell me, he had already decided he wanted to have his testicles removed (an orchiectomy) and take cross-sex female hormones and transition to live as a woman.  I was unwilling to stay married to him because I didn't want my entire life to be dominated by transness.  

Later he walked back his desire to transition and wanted, as your husband says he does, to stay in the closet and live as a woman at home, while outwardly enjoying his life as a man outside the home.  I thought I could handle that, and be supportive, and I gave it the old college try.  I finally left him three years after he dropped his trans bomb.

I'm here to tell you that living in your husband's closet is an isolating and mentally damaging experience.  For one thing, it keeps you isolated and alone, and traps you in a suffocating bell jar breathing transness as your oxygen, so you are unable to benefit from other perspectives.  I don't know how much you know about abusive relationships or the dynamics of abusive family relationships, but isolation and a narrowing of your options for social interaction with others is one of the warning signs.  Isolating you is good for him and his agenda, but it's damaging for you.

I'm also here to tell you that men in the grip of feminizing may tell you that they will roll it out slowly, or are willing to set boundaries on their behavior or their gender expression, but it is a virtual certainty that they will not abide by their promises and will stretch and break those boundaries, sometimes by manipulating you or guilting you.  Feminizing acts on them like an addiction, and they want more and more, faster and faster, and what they have said about slow-rolling it becomes an attack on you for holding them back. 

Let me ask you a question: is your husband's desire to be a woman expressed mainly through clothes, make-up, and a desire to act out sexually?  Because that's the classic sign of an autogynephile, a man who is sexually aroused by the thought of himself as a woman.  You can read more about autogynephilia in the book "The Man Who Would Be Queen," by the psychologist Michael Bailey (it's available as PDF online if you google it.)  You might also look up Anne Lawrence, who is a transwoman who has written about autogynephilia.  Lawrence has a web presence, and her articles are available online.  If you want more information about what you might expect, from a wife's perspective, google of "Gas Mark Six," which is a post by the blogger "Naeferty," or buy the book "Sex Changes," by Christine Benevenuto, which is about her husband's transition.  

There are a number of us here whose husbands are trans, and I imagine more of us will weigh in shortly.

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (July 27, 2020 4:58 pm)

July 28, 2020 5:50 am  #3

Hi Knc and welcome,

As always I agree with OutofHiscloset, everything she said, especially this;

OutofHisCloset wrote:

I'm here to tell you that living in your husband's closet is an isolating and mentally damaging experience.  For one thing, it keeps you isolated and alone, and traps you in a suffocating bell jar breathing transness as your oxygen, so you are unable to benefit from other perspectives.  I don't know how much you know about abusive relationships or the dynamics of abusive family relationships, but isolation and a narrowing of your options for social interaction with others is one of the warning signs.  Isolating you is good for him and his agenda, but it's damaging for you.

My experience was quite similar and his appearance change didn't happen slowly after we realized his eating disorder was caused by gender dysphoria. I always remind this to us, the ones who go through transgender-related coming out, that they will always be married/obsessed with their passion for being accepted and approved as a woman(!). I've come to realize that it's all about their needs and they are unconsciously trying to keep us company to feel better about it and get that approval. Because they crave it. It's an addiction and a coping mechanism in order to deal with their situation and it is not much you can do to change that. That's all.

If you think that he is doing this for the sake of staying together with you, I say please think about it again.
I am not saying that he is intentionally using you, but If you are a person who is interested in psychology, you will know what I mean there.

I know it is sometimes very hard to make decisions but if you have to pick between slow creeping depression and moving on + healing over time, what would you do?

Please keep us updated and we are here for you.

July 28, 2020 6:54 am  #4

Hello KNC, 
Well, I'm another one of those wives.  This is my 2nd marriage.  I met him when we were in our fifties and we were married for 10 years.  There was a lot of sexual weirdness and peculiarities to this man.  I wrote it off to his persistent erectile dysfunction and the fact that he was rather eccentric overall.  About 3 years ago, he started wearing men's makeup, then women's makeup, then he was reading women's fashion magazines.  After that came an obsession with drag queen shows.  We ended up in marriage counseling (his idea) with a therapist he chose (LGBTQ Advocate) who told us for three months that all of this was normal as long as I was okay with it, which I repeated over and over I wasn't. 

The last year was a descent into a nightmare, the likes of which I cannot describe.  He became angrier and angrier and started taking prescription drugs.  I would see him walking around town wearing women's blouses.  He alternately told me he was done dressing up/no he couldn't give it up.  Finally I had my own personal crisis (near death of a close family member) and he was the one who went off the rails.  I found out, a month later, that he had a storage locker full of women's clothing, an alternate female identity complete with a name, and he had a sexual encounter of some sort with a gay man at a gay bar.  

After that long long time of keeping the secret, I told two people close to me and I ultimately decided I could not live this way.  We're divorced now.  He still asks if we can get back together again.  It was all a "phase".  I do not believe him. 

I will reiterate what OOHC said - there may be a slow roll out at first, but it doesn't last.  Dressing up/acting female became the focal part of my husband's life.  He was consumed with buying sparkling dresses, applying makeup, and attending gay events where people told him he was pretty (note, he wasn't) and encouraged him to do his own thing.  

Everyone has their own tolerance to what they will accept in a marriage but personally I did not want to be married to a woman.  I believe, as OOHC explained, that my husband also was an autogynephile.  I had never even heard of that before I started reading on this forum in January of this year.  After I researched this, it was like - WOW - that really hit the nail on the head.  

The thing that bothers me over and over again is that I am sure my husband knew about this for decades and somehow repressed it.  And when he finally told me, he expected me to go along with it.  

I don't have much advice to give but I will have to say that it takes a long time to sort out your thoughts and emotions.  Also, if your husband is like mine and many others, he will try to reel you in if you express that you want to leave.  Because they want their cake and eat it too.  Your post says that you have a young son.  It is always harder when children are involved. 

Best thoughts to you.  Please keep reading and posting.   Also, I found it helpful to keep a journal.  

July 28, 2020 7:29 am  #5

Yes Leslie, my ex also blamed me because I wanted to end our marriage and he said he was totally fine continuing our relationship. He said I was the one who couldn't accept him as he is and he got irritated and defensive.
I see this identical pattern in many who experience a trans-spouse situation.

July 28, 2020 12:56 pm  #6

Last edited by Lynne (October 3, 2020 5:33 pm)

July 30, 2020 8:54 am  #7

Thank you to everyone here who has shared their deeply personal experience.  I appreciate you taking the time to share and I am sorry for the hurt and pain you have been through.  However, to be honest, I find a lot of this rhetoric (and the resources shared by Out of His Closet) to be extremely transexclusionary and I am not comfortable with it. I also think that it is a good practice to get in the habit of being able to share your story without projecting it onto someone else's experience. I appreciate hearing any and all versions of stories like this and how they shake out, but simply because your journey went one way does not mean that all journeys end the same. There are far too may variables to make any blanket statements about this. I came here seeking support and an ear to vent and to hear other experiences, but what I am finding, and what has truly turned me off to being a part of this community, are people who d are trying to convince others that their experience will be the same, using fear tactics under the guise of experience and understanding, and essentially asserting that all trans spouses behave the same way. My journey may end up the same exact way as yours have, I don't know, but I do know in my gut that this is not a helpful online space for me to be in right now so I will be unsubscribing.

July 30, 2020 9:48 am  #8

Your journey is your journey, and you will travel it by the route you choose for the reasons that you choose.

I would like, however, to point out that to call the work of a transwoman, Anne Lawrence, trans-exclusionary is illogical.  

July 30, 2020 12:01 pm  #9

"I find a lot of this rhetoric (and the resources shared by Out of His Closet) to be extremely transexclusionary"

We aren't here to center trans. We are here to center straight spouses. What you are labeling as "rhetoric" are people's lived experiences. I find the term extremely insulting to the members you have used it against.

"I also think that it is a good practice to get in the habit of being able to share your story without projecting it onto someone else's experience"

Projecting did not occur. Recognition of words like "may" "might" or "could" are key in understanding the differences between projection and explaining possibility.

"I came here seeking support and an ear to vent and to hear other experiences"

That is what you received, however, you have seen fit to label these experiences that you claim you want to hear as "rhetoric" and worse.

"people who d are trying to convince others that their experience will be the same, using fear tactics under the guise of experience and understanding, and essentially asserting that all trans spouses behave the same way."

Now people's lived experiences are "tactics" and a "guise" for some agenda.

"I do know in my gut that this is not a helpful online space for me"

Your journey will play out as it does. Whether this forum could or could not be a helpful space for you is as yet undetermined. What isn't helpful to any support forum is expecting the inhabitors of said place to conform to a preconceived notion that you have as to what defines "helpful", and when you deem it not conforming to your preconceived notion of "helpful", labeling it as "rhetoric" "projection" "guise" and "tactics".

Your scold post in order to dismiss and condemn the lived experiences of these ladies is some serious high-handed bullshit and is in no way considerate of what they have gone through and continue to go through.

Last edited by Lyonene (July 30, 2020 12:14 pm)

July 30, 2020 7:32 pm  #10

Thank you Lyonene and longwayhome.  I have to say that I felt hurt and dismayed by KNC's response to my reflection of the most painful experience of my life.  

I truly hope that she finds happiness in her trans relationship.  That was not in the cards for me but perhaps it is for some people. 

Board footera