OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 25, 2020 11:03 pm  #1

In-person reaction to ex-spouse

I've been divorced for a few years, now. Here's what I can't quite figure out: Why do I go into a downward spiral, if I see him? I see him only once or twice a year. I avoid seeing him because of these spirals of depression and despair. When he picks up the kids, I don't speak with him. We communicate by text. The kids just meet him in the driveway.

I invited him over to celebrate one of the children's milestones. It was my idea to include him, as I thought that might be nice for my son. The celebration went well, but the next couple of weeks were horrible. I went into a downward spiral of despair. About once or twice a year I try to include my ex in something. These spirals have happened after each in-person encounter. Obviously, it's too soon for me...there has to be a reason for this.

I do think I have PTSD, but I don't know what to do about it. I have so many of the symptoms. I think it has something to do with the shock of knowing that I really don't even know the man to whom I was married for almost 25 years. (He has a boyfriend, now. I actually like the boyfriend, and he is kind to my children).

My ex has been trying to be decent and has been working on his relationships with the children. I would rather be able to see him in person with the children, except I'm wondering why that matters to me. Only my youngest ever mentions that we should do things together; the older kids never mention that, probably because they know it's hard for me.

Has anyone else experienced this? Background: My ex did tell the kids the truth about his GID life and apologized to all of us, when he first came out. He acted horrible for the first couple of years, but he seems a bit better now. I think I just wish I didn't have such a horrible reaction to my children's father, but I do. I'm really wanting to hear from anyone who had a similar reaction. What did your reaction look like, and what did you do about it? Were you ever able to reconfigure a relationship with your ex or did you just need to go ahead into the future completely separately?

July 26, 2020 7:49 am  #2

Re: In-person reaction to ex-spouse

I have a similar reaction.

I had been married to my spouse for 32 years when he dropped his trans bomb.  I'm a bit more than two years from moving out, a bit less than two years divorcing (it will be two years in Nov).  I can't see or talk to my ex, or even hear about him, really, without it throwing me into a tailspin.  

My ex was my husband; then he told me he didn't want to be my husband but my wife.  I fell in love with a man; then he told me he believed he wasn't a man but a woman.  I was female and he was male, and his maleness was part of my love for him and central to my sexual love for him; then he told me he hated being male, and wanted me to make love to him as if he had a female body, and that he would make love to me as if he had a female body.  He believed I should be happy for him; I tried to be happy for him.  I was happy for him, but I was increasingly unhappy in myself, and my unhappiness was intolerable to him.  I tried to adjust my own behavior and sexuality for him; he expected immediate and unconditional acceptance, while continually pushing the boundaries of what he "needed" and needed from me.  And when I finally decided that I couldn't do or be what he wanted from me, and that the situation and his treatment of me was unacceptable, and wanted a divorce, his entitlement, resentment, anger, and sense of vicimization rose to ever higher levels. The three and a half years between his trans bomb drop and our divorce were traumatic ones, and I have not yet recovered nor am I yet healed. 

The trauma we experience is multifarious.  It's not just the sudden explosion or slow accretion of the truth of our spouse's sexuality, or the inevitable questioning of our entire lives together that follows, or the blow we suffer to our own sense of our sexuality and desirability and worth, or the too often cruel behavior we suffer at the hands of our spouses before, during, and after the revelation/admission, the callousness with which we were treated by a spouse who believed him- or herself entitled to lie to us and deceive us, often for decades.  It's all those things combined.  It's betrayal trauma, and betrayal on so many different levels, and affecting so many different aspects of our lives.  

Trauma is a strange beast; it advances and retreats, recedes and then rushes forward when something reminds us of the spouse who betrayed us, who pulled the rug out from under us and when we lost our balance and fell down walked away from us.  It can't ever be tamed, but we can erect fences, and put distance and time between it and us.  

I believe my reaction to seeing my spouse is a self-protective mechanism.  It tells me that I need to take care of myself, that more time needs to pass and I need to do more work setting myself and my life to rights.  I do better when I don't see him or hear about him or think about him.  My ultimate goal is not to be able to engage with him again; it is to go forward in my life without letting reminders of that painful past upend me.  I think each of us has to decide what we can tolerate, what helps us, and erect our boundaries accordingly, setting aside any pressures that we might feel from cultural expectations or from others, however well-meaning they are.

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (July 26, 2020 8:06 am)

July 26, 2020 9:51 am  #3

Two more specific comments that have come to me since I read your post:

1)  I don't think your children's expectations or desire should unduly pressure you.  I think it's important for you to be able to say to your children, in age appropriate ways, "You children have a different relation to your father than I do, because I was his wife, and you are his children.  Daddy married me even though he was not able to love a woman the way a man should love his wife, and this affected our marriage and our family for many, many years.  When Daddy finally said he wanted to love a man, we had to divorce, and this news and his actions were very hurtful to me. I find it painful to be around him and his new partner, even though I wish him well, and I hope you can understand I have to be self-protective so I can continue to be a good mother to you."  It's important for your youngest to understand that you are not a family anymore, and it's more than ok for you to not want to become part of some hybrid new family consisting of your ex-husband, his new partner, you, and you and your ex-husband's children.  You and your ex-husband can have your own relationships with your children, whether that includes partners--either his or yours--or not.  

2)  I see that you seem to be indexing what you believe your actions should be to your ex-husband's.  If he's behaving better, you feel obligated to be around him.  But it shouldn't be about what he's doing, whether he's trying, but what you need and can tolerate.  Maybe it's your goal to at some point be able to do things with your ex and his partner and your children.  But that should come when you are ready and able to do that; you're under no obligation from anyone or anything to pressure yourself into or feel pressured into doing so before you're ready.  

July 26, 2020 1:10 pm  #4

OOHC...My first thought to your posts is, "Holy Cow! She hit the nail on the head...again."

You have made so many points that are enlightening to me. I won't repeat your points, as you express yourself much better than I. Being able to see something that makes sense to me, in writing, is invaluable to me. You are truly gifted with written expression, along with insights that only another straight spouse might have. I am going to print your responses. They are already helping me, and I will continue to reread. Thank you from the bottom of my healing heart.

July 26, 2020 5:26 pm  #5

Thanks, jk, that's very kind of you.  I've said this before, but when I first got here to this forum, your calm determination to end your marriage and hold your spouse accountable in a way you could be proud of was inspirational to me.  

As it happens, I've been going through old photos today, as weeding through possessions is one thing I can do during Covid, and it must be done before I can move, which I hope to do when the situation in the country eases.  It has been a difficult day, during which more than once I've despaired, and I really appreciate your kind words, which have helped.

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (July 26, 2020 5:26 pm)

July 27, 2020 4:35 pm  #6

longwayhome,
    Thanks for your kind words.  I'm glad what I have to say here helps.  I have thought a lot about what contribution I can make to straight spouses, and for me, one-on-one talk, either here on the forum or as a volunteer for the SSN willing to speak to people on the phone, seems right for me.  For one thing, my ex is still in the closet, and we have a son (he's an adult, but he doesn't have the full truth about his father and I divorced), so coming out under my name as a straight spouse is not something I'm ready to do.  For forty years I taught a college course on the personal essay and worked one-on-one with students writing about their lives, so talking to people about their stories and experience is something I feel comfortable with, but I don't think I have the expertise or the desire to do the research I would find necessary to write a book, although some of my posts on the forum have attempted to lay out what I have observed over my three plus years on the forum as common reactions we have, and stages we go through.  I have written a memoir--not about my experience as a straight spouse--and a couple of essays on my experience as a straight spouse; one of them "Uncoupling," was published on the Straight Spose blog in November 2016 (I don't know if it's still there), the other I have not yet decided where to publish, and whether to publish it under my own name, partly because writing about trans issues can open one to online attacks these days, so I have to be careful about that (if you want to see that essay, private message me).  I've been up and down about writing a memoir about my straight spouse experience, but I am not at all sure I want to revisit that pain or to give my ex any more years of my life.

jk, I hope I haven't hijacked your thread.

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (July 27, 2020 4:36 pm)

July 27, 2020 5:20 pm  #7

OOHC: I don't feel hijacked. No worries!

July 27, 2020 5:39 pm  #8

Longwayhome: You mentioned that you feel "much of the fog has lifted." My timeline was similar: I barely remember anything from the first 11-12 months post disclosure. I remember shocking behaviors of my ex, but I don't remember anything of everyday life with my children. They call it, "The year that Mom can't remember."

I'm 5 years post-disclosure now. As many here have mentioned, the rollercoaster ride continues and tidal waves keep coming, but they sometimes start getting smaller and farther apart. I hope you feel progress as you forge ahead. I still have work to do on myself, but I'm certainly far better off than I was 5 years ago. Honestly, I don't know how any of us make it through those early stages. All the best to you.

July 28, 2020 6:55 pm  #9

I still have a very hard time dealing with my GID narcissist emotionally abusive wife.  I feel anxiety any time she texts me for any reason and especially any tine I must see her to exchange our daughter/dogs.  She has damaged me enough that my body physically reacts with anxious energy any time I think of her.  It is very difficult.

July 29, 2020 5:40 pm  #10

Dear JK and OOHC, 

Thank you for your posts.  JK, I too still find that even though I am 4 years divorced any mention of my ex sends me into a bit of a tailspin too!!  I was speaking with my son who had done a trip with his dad just this week and I felt myself trying to be so normal about it all, but still such a mix of despair, sadness and anger arose within me.  

There is this pressure I put on myself to be all 'cool' about mentioning him, trying to normalise it so that my sons don't feel they have to avoid any mention of what they are doing with him, but actually reading this post was so helpful as why do I feel so beholden to 'normalising' what for me is a very painful and unexpected life situation???  And why do I always feel I have to suck it up and be 'okay'.  

So Thank you.  The idea of being more self-protective is a wise one to take onboard.  As time passes the waves of grief do get further apart and less overwhelming.  This is very true.  

And OOHC, yes I love what you write so much!  But I completely understand and respect your desire not to stay mired in the details of the terrible trauma of retelling your story in a book form, all you do it so helpful already.   

All the best to you all

Board footera