OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 2, 2020 10:32 am  #11

Re: Am I being to closed minded to want a monogamous marriage?

Leslie, thanks for your observations and suggestions. Yes, he does have an addictive personality. His sexual escapades were addictive in nature, as I see it, but his therapist thought "no", that it was just the bisexuality needed....I totally disagree. I've discussed it with him and tried to show him how it was addictive. He attended one SAA online meeting, but hasn't gone to any since. I told him he didn't need to identify himself as a sex addict, but that he needs a program similar to AA to help him stay 'sober' sexually. It's going to take HIM to do it.

Our marriage vows DID include the phrase about staying faithful until death do us part (similar words), and I had a lengthy conversation with him before we got married as to my expectations of monogamy. When all of this came out, and I mentioned it, his answer was "Yes, I know. I had my own ideas."....Well, I guess mine didn't mean anything to him. Another sign of disrespect for me.

He hasn't acted out in a year, so he's not exposing himself or me to the COVID-19. In fact, I'm ill with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, fibromyalgia (both auto immune system illnesses), pre-diabetes, and COPD. So, I haven't even been anywhere since early March when I went to a Dr appointment I couldn't miss. He's VERY careful, an wears a mask and gloves everywhere he goes.

thanks for your encouraging words. As they say "it ain't over til it's over". We'll keep trying until then.

May 2, 2020 11:10 am  #12

Leslie77,

Traditional marriage vows do include monogamy in “forsaking all others.”

May 2, 2020 12:37 pm  #13

TangledOil wrote:

Leslie77,

Traditional marriage vows do include monogamy in “forsaking all others.”

Thanks, I couldn't remember ;).

Board footera