OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 16, 2020 6:51 pm  #1

February 16 2020

Thoughts for today. You dont realize the importance of having someone to share joy with or to vent to about your problems until you do not have a supportive partner in your life. I do not think that my "husband" was ever really a true support system. I think he spent a lot of energy in playing that role or pretending to be interested in the things I was interested in or being a sounding board about my issues I may be having with work or life in general but I dont think he actually truly cared but he played his role well. Now, it is like sometimes I am so desperate for that person that I will vent to him or talk about things to him but then start to realize that the role he played and the pretending he did he no longer engages in so it is quite obvious he has no interest in anything that I do in my life or issues that I have going on so at the end of my conversation I feel worse than I did before but still continue to here and there engage in conversation. Maybe to fill silence. Maybe to pretend to be normal. But, never do I walk away feeling better than when I started. So, why do I continue to subject myself to that? 

Why does everything seem to happen at once or maybe it is just because you are more sensitive to things happening when you are in a state of crisis all the time? I have spoken about my charity work before in here for veterans. Well, I made a hard choice to walk away from that particular charity because the president fell off his wagon and started using drugs again and was berading myself and others in his state of highness he was in and I just have so much going on in my own life I felt like I couldnt handle more emotional abuse than I deal with on a daily basis at home. I, due to my abiliies, was asked to help start from the ground up another veteran charity and that one seems like more my style plus less drama than the one I was involved in but I am in such shell shock all the time that I cannot handle anymore conflict than I already have so I have been ignoring texts and phone calls from the original charity president. I dont know what to say. I just want to crawl into a hole with everything going on. I feel like I am one incident away from losing what left of my sanity I have left. 

Should I send the message i wrote to the  president upon immediately blocking him from cell and facebook and other social media and hope it goes away? I just cannot handle anymore confontation or conflict in my life right now

me

February 16, 2020 10:17 pm  #2

Re: February 16 2020

It is absolutely reasonable that you would not want to stay associated with a charity when its president has fallen off the wagon.  If it were me, I would send a short message to the president of the charity saying only that for the present time you are stepping away from your role.  You do not owe anyone more explanation than that.  If he doesn't accept that response and hounds you, you simply have to reply that you will not be reconsidering.

February 16, 2020 10:49 pm  #3

What I found that helped me was to focus on the things over which I have control, and for the things outside of my control, I try to let go of those. In your example of the veterans charity, run don't walk away from it. You don't need that drama and chaos in your life when you have so much already on your plate.

If you feel very strongly about supporting a cause, create your own charity and lead it up. Surround yourself with like-minded people who share your vision. Create a team that achieves the results you want and fosters the kind of environment you need.

February 17, 2020 7:08 am  #4

OOHC
I sent the president a text message, a long one, and since I am a coward who doesnt want confrontation I blocked his cell so he couldnt respond to me. I dont plan on going back which leads into answering Davin, I am in the process of working with someone else to start our own non profit from the ground up with like minded people who dont have any drama to come to the table. I have enough drama already in my life. 

February 17, 2020 7:41 am  #5

Starting a new charity is very hard work. Perhaps consider using a charity rating system such as Charity Navigator to see if there is an organization that already serves the cause you support and then look into whether it has a local chapter. I and many other donors do this research before giving because it looks into financial management.

If the former president is off the wagon the treasurer needs to be aware and a board meeting called. Under the by-laws there should be a process for his removal and replacement. You may need to do more than emailing a note to protect yourself legally from any improprieties which may occur. I don't recall the details but the Wounded Warrior Project had a problem with the misuse of funds which went public years ago and impacted donations for several years.

Talk with the other board members and good luck.

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

February 17, 2020 8:34 am  #6

As a follow-up to my previous post, here is more about the Wounded Warrior charity's recovery:

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2019/08/09/after-public-crisis-and-fall-grace-wounded-warrior-project-quietly-regains-ground.html

If you can get the president out and install someone who is stable and responsible your organization may be able to survive.

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

Board footera