OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 13, 2020 1:15 pm  #11

Re: Torture or taking my power back?

I would suggest attorney shopping for a family lawyer  to find the best fit for you.  Most have offer a one free hour consultation.  Each is aware of family law for your state and your jurisdiction.For example, my state has a set of laws & requirements  for divorce and custody. My county, which is the jurisdiction for my divorce, has more laws & requirements. The county does not override state law. The body of family law changes constantly due to new federal, state and county legislation. There are also appellate judicial decisions which affect future divorce decisions. It gets very complicated quickly.

An attorney can advise you what records to keep to help you gain the best financial award. They can tell you which to keep to gain full custody of your children.  If you witness your husband breaking the law due to his drug use or use of prostitutes, report him to the police. Keep your kids safe and away from activities where they can be harmed.

Best of luck.

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

February 13, 2020 2:25 pm  #12

OOHC says:"I keep copies of them and sometimes when I am having a bad time or questioning myself about whether I did the right thing I look at them so I remember just what it was like and why I had to leave"

I do the same thing. My jewelry box has folded letters of confessions, descriptions, etc written by him. I've had them for 3 years. I plan to keep them, for myself, and for our son who may have questions when he is older.

February 13, 2020 11:39 pm  #13

The problem with snooping is that you can never unsee the things that you see. If you already know, it may not be healthy for you to dig further. If you have stacks of evidence already set aside in photos, texts, and e-mails, then by all means pack them away somewhere in case you need them down the road but don't torture yourself day in and day out by reliving the pain over and over.

February 14, 2020 7:59 am  #14

If you have an attorney ask her/him about how his behavior may work in child custody. Bringing drugs and strangers into the home when the children are there should be important, particularly when the strangers are "professionals" and may have criminal histories.

If he has a parent or sibling whom you would trust to be present and not let him take the children out without him or her, ask the attorney about the possibility of him having contact with the children at that home.

Rely upon your attorney as to whether bringing something up will work well before the court. That's what we pay them for.

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

February 14, 2020 3:07 pm  #15

So today while he was at work, he messaged me and confessed that he has been gaslighting me because the truth is he's a gay man in denial and hes known his whole life. He said that he understands the damage he has done to me and wants to help me heal and be happy again. I immediately started to cry but I feel like this is exactly what I needed in order to heal and begin to move on. I honestly feel like now, I do not need to snoop because he acknowledges the pain he has caused me and what he actually is.

February 14, 2020 7:33 pm  #16

There is a possibility he may retract this confession and blame his confused state of mind for it. He may blame you for pressuring him & causing his confusion.

Be careful and cautious. Again, if you don’t have a family law attorney, interview some. You need someone who will look out for your legal interests during this difficult time.

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

Board footera