OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 8, 2020 10:31 am  #1

Discernment

I’m wading through some signs and evidence that my husband is on the down low with men. He can always explain and talk his way out of things. The evidence isn’t 100% but I have such strong feelings that he’s gay.
I have already moved out of the house because of his horrible behaviour.  He has many issues, depression, anger etc.

How much evidence did it take for you to understand, even when he lied and denied everything? How do you muck through the explanations and keep your sanity?

I know that so many never get a confession and that makes it really hard.

How is it walking away from your marriage when you don’t have 100% proof but you have pretty much figured out his deceiving ways? Do you keep trying to talk to this person? Keep trying to present the evidence or is this a waste of time?

Thank you friends for helping me out here! I love this group and all the support people give to each other.

February 8, 2020 11:31 am  #2

Re: Discernment

I think there are many here that never get a 100% proof.

I think just the fact that you suspect, wonder or have to snoop for evidence says all there is..a normal marriage is just not supposed to be like that.

I had all the proof and then some..it made no difference.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

February 8, 2020 11:59 am  #3

Simpatica wrote:

.......How much evidence did it take for you to understand, even when he lied and denied everything? How do you muck through the explanations and keep your sanity?......

I dove into the madness when I didn't understand it. When I hadn't even heard of the term "gas-lighting". When his dismissiveness made me feel like I should hunt around for clues & proof that something was wrong and if we could talk about it we could fix it. I secretly checked his phone, feeling sick to my stomach as I did, internalising everything til I felt ill. 
I thank my basic good sense, set of values and my personal threshold of right and wrong that before the Mindfuck could turn me into somebody who wouldn't make it through this Storm....I saw my future with him, and it wasn't pretty. 
We're all different Simpatica...but you'll know when you've reached that point. You'll realise the "evidence" isn't what matters, it's the unfairness of how the evidence makes you feel

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

February 8, 2020 1:13 pm  #4

Some of us have found the Chump Lady website helpful and she'd call this untangling the skein. It's kind of impossible to avoid it and the what-ifs that come with it but what it ultimately comes down to is 'Is this acceptable to me?'

It sounds like you have a pretty good handle on the second part but untangling is human nature I think. We want stuff to make sense. I found it counter-productive but unavoidable. The more I tried to understand it, the more I stayed stuck in the pain.

Slowly I am coming to realize that I am never going to have answers that would give me back what I lost. And that's what I want. The person I loved back. And it's not possible. They didn't even exist. At least not in the way they lead me to believe. There's grief in that. There's acceptance too, at this point, and I'm finally letting go of my need to understand. Their reasons aren't my burden to carry. Whatever they were, they don't justify the lies and emotional abuse. That's rightfully their skein to untangle and not my responsibility to do it for them.

February 8, 2020 3:08 pm  #5

If you are getting the runaround to the point you feel your sanity could be affected then ask yourself why would I even bother asking him one more question!  That's what I did.  I gave myself the benefit of the doubt instead of giving it to him.  It worked a treat, I stopped questioning myself so much and accepted the answer staring me in the face - he was gay in denial.

denial doesn't mean don't know it means not telling.  What I discovered about my ex is you are going to get the runaround no matter the evidence, whatever you say.  It's like how long is the piece of string, answer, endless, he will string you along all the way.

The closet mattered more to him than I did.  He did not take kindly to having his closet questioned and was prepared to go along with the divorce if I didn't say anything about him being gay.  

I had no problem moving on.  Having said that I was grateful to get confirmation from an old friend who knew him as a teenager but I was already divorced by then.  

I didn't need a confession from him once I had made my own confession to me - I was being played for a fool by him from the get go.

It was hard to take but I am glad I did, it gets easier with time.

February 8, 2020 5:09 pm  #6

Hi S,

I had the result of years of  cognitive dissonance of my GIDXH being in the closet - the rages, gaslighting, no sex and denials about him being gay- more than a lot of proof.

I was beginning to push back and stand up to him more. I received some proof from an FB post he forgot to hide from me.  He poofed it after I questioned him. He denied what I had seen.

I asked myself if I wanted to stay married to him.  It was a very hard decision.  We had no children. That makes the parting easier without that complication.

Individual therapy with a counselor who’s worked with these issues may help bring clarity to you.

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

February 9, 2020 5:57 pm  #7

Thank you everyone, these responses have been very helpful and enlightening. I feel inspired by your strength and can honestly feel your pain. I wish so much you didn’t have to go through it. I’m heartbroken that we are all in this situation.

I will be strong and take your advice to heart. I have an appt on Tuesday with my psychologist that was once our marriage counsellor...of course my husband stopped going a long time ago...too much poking of the bear let’s say. I’m looking forward to unloading some baggage on Tuesday. Some details are so embarrassing and questionable that I need that a professional to get it off my chest and help me deal with it all.

I went to church today with my daughter (from my first marriage). It has been so long. What a blessing to be back. My husband and I married in the church, he was a so-called Christian and professed his faith and vows to me. The exemplary bible college graduate and regular church goer and volunteer.
Wow, can you believe I have never actually seen him open a bible or seen any Christian behaviour in 5 years. The blasphemy is absolutely shameful and I’ve asked him so many times to stop. He’s a wolf in sheep’s clothing if I’ve ever seen one. I need to put God first and not let this train wreck of a man derail my faith and my joy in life.

Drawing the line in the sand...

Have a blessed week and stay strong, I know that we will all find healing and peace, it just might take some time.

Board footera