OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 25, 2020 7:22 pm  #1

Mixed-orientation and neurodiverse

My wife is autistic and pansexual. Both of which we discovered after we were married. Sometimes it's hard to figure out if she's distant because of her sexuality or if she's distant because of her autism. This is fucking hard.

Regardless.... the answer to our healthy marriage is to "love like Christ". When Christ is the answer to our problems, how unique are our problems, really?

Hard not to feel sorry for myself and focus on my problems, not knowing exactly how to communicate with my wife sometimes... 

January 27, 2020 5:07 pm  #2

Re: Mixed-orientation and neurodiverse

Hi,
I can’t give much advice on the pan sexual part considering I’m in the beginning of trying to make my own MOM work. But as a mom if a teenage girl with autism I can offer some advice with that part. Keep communicating how your feeling, giving her time to process and communicate back. Communicating with someone in the spectrum may not look like your average “lets sit down and talk about our feelings” it may mean writing it down and letting the other read it or have short conversations focused on one topic. Maybe just ask her how she prefers to express and talk about feelings. Look for online support groups. I have a friend who is married to a man with Asperger’s an she found support groups on FB. I would also suggest finding a good couples therapist who has experience with adults on the spectrum. I hope this helps! Good luck to you both.

Last edited by MeMe46 (January 27, 2020 5:17 pm)

Board footera