OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 21, 2020 10:23 am  #1

Husband's gender dysphoria and multiple cheating with women

Dear all, I found this forum after 10 days of anguish and despair and continuous panic attacks. I have read most of the posts in this forum and they empower me. I would like to get support for my case especially in helping me think through the situation so I can lift myself up again from this chaotic mess. So, here is my story.

When I met my husband in 2009 (he is 33 and I am 37 now), he told me that he crossdressed in college and that he was bisexual. Most of his long-term relationship was with women and he hooked up with 1-2 men for oral sex. We were in love with each other and had a great time together that we decided to get married. When we got married in 2011, we agreed that we married to each other as a human and not as a particular gender/sexuality. So, I accepted his queer identity because at the time I found our sexual and romantic relationship fulfilling. I didn't see any particular differences between him being queer vs. being a man--he performs well in bed. During our entire relationship, he never dressed as a woman or showed attraction to a man, so he told me recently that he thought his college time was just a phase. 

Fast forward to the recent past, our daughter was born in 2015 and since then our marriage began to face rocky times. My mother passed away a few months before our baby was born. When the baby was two months old, I was busy with an important job interview that landed me to a job in a cosmopolitan city in the US. He was not very excited about moving but he had no choice because he didn't have a job. 

In general, I would describe him as moody--he can be happy one day and sad the next day. He is easily irritated and annoyed by things; he thinks people see him as annoying and are there to attack him. He couldn't handle criticism yet is critical to everything. He loses things (keys, phone, stuff) almost everyday; he breaks stuff (cups, plates) often. When that happens, he would be very annoyed and frustrated, but once he finds his key, he would act as if nothing happens. He has difficulty making decisions and he told me when we first met that he has "at his core very low self esteem" and that he is fundamentally "very confused." It seems that it's very difficult for him to manage his emotions. He talks about himself a lot and when he meets other people, he seems to not be able to 'filter' what he needs to share (oversharer). For a few years, I adjusted myself to this situation. I loved him so I tried to understand him. 

On the other hand, he is very loving, gentle and sensitive. He is a great listener. He is reflective of his flaws, but, often for the above problems, he doesn't seem to be able to control them. 

However, since the death of my mom, the birth of my baby, and a new job, I feel really overwhelmed. The relationship seems to be very stressful. At first, I thought it was because of my issues above. But I also feel he was in constant anger, sadness, resentment to me. He has been in the job market since we moved to get a job of "his dream" but in reality the kind of job he wants is very difficult to find. I have the job that he wants so he told me he often sees me as his competitor now. He has been on a project-based job that is related to his field but he wants the ultimate dream job above anything else. He asked me that I should be willing to move with him and quit my job if he gets his dream job elsewhere. I entertained this possibility--after all I am the woman, it's easier for me to stay at home than him. 

Two years ago, he cheated on me (not sleeping, just emotional attraction and kissing and oversharing our story) to a woman (they did plan to sleep the next time around but he confessed to me before that happened). He admitted then that he had a similar fling with another woman in 2013 (he made a new gmail account so that he could chat with that woman). When I found out about this cheating, I felt really betrayed; my world collapsed. But all I could think about at the time was to be compassionate and be forgiving, which I know the only way for me to heal as well. Since then, we began seeing each of our individual therapists and a couple/family therapy. He said he didn't think he actually loved me or that he was ever attracted to me (he thinks I don't look beautiful in the way mainstream media depict beautiful women).  He also told me that he felt that I was controlling and that he didn't have room to breathe. I took all he said as a room for me to grow. I was depressed when my mother died and I thought that affected our relationship. I try to listen to him more and include him in decision making, which I actually always do but this time I make more concerted efforts. We continue to have sex even right after he cheated on me and I try to be sexy and do different things for him. Yet, despite all those efforts, he still feels bad about the relationship and I experience that. He shows up often uninterested, indifferent and distant in the relationship; some other times he would be profusely apologizing for everything he did. He swims in guilty feeling but couldn't seem to live himself up from it. When we share the physical space, his eyes are glued to his phone. When we go out on a date, he smiled but I could feel the awkwardness of how that smile concealed his anger and resentment and unattraction to me. 

Last August, he told me that in his therapy it becomes clear that he wants to be a transgender/woman. He said he has gender dysphoria. I felt betrayed a second time. Only this time, I don't know what to do and I don't know what that means. Since then he started to splurge on women's clothes, underwear, jewelry, and makeup. Without consulting with me, he'd shave his legs and wear nail polish. All of these actions were done often without telling me so I usually found myself shocked. I had a couple episodes of panic attacks last month when he clothed like a 12 years old girl and when I found those women's clothes. I myself have become affected mentally by this situation--in addition to our ongoing relationship problem. I was in despair to the point that I didn't feel anything has any meaning for me anymore--not my job that I actually love/enjoy so much, not my time with my daughter or friends. Seeing me suffered, he hated himself and purged most of the things he bought, telling me "I don't want to be a transgender. It's too difficult. Nobody will accept it." He said he wants to stay married and work on our relationship first before attending to the gender issue. He wants to "come out in this relationship." But I feel weird about that. I feel now this relationship becomes like a buffer, a safety net, for him because he knows how difficult it will be to come out so he wants my continuous support. Every now and then when I express to him that I don't think I can imagine being with a woman because I am clearly a cis woman, he'd call me transphobic or 'uneducated' on gender/sexuality. 

In the past few weeks, he has been out of town so I have room to reflect. Crying has been my mode. I cried non stop everyday for 40 days in 2018 when I found out he cheated on me. I still cry since but I have begun reaching out for help too, doing selfcare activities, meditating. I finally find myself again now. There are multiple layers of problems in this relationship: his emotional condition, his gender dysphoria, trust issues (I recently found him on tinder but I didn't confront him). Of course, I continuously seek understanding of my own parts in this mess--my own flaws and things I can work on including any inner child wound. I continuously love him deeply, loyal to him, and compromise for him and our family.

Another thing to add is I like to say "divorce" when we are fighting for as long as I remember. We went to a couple therapist as early as 2014 but moving on to have a baby a year later. Reflecting now, I might have used it to threaten him or I might actually want the divorce because of how unhealthy the relationship is. I know now that I need to educate myself about the situation so I can make a decision that is well informed and does not come out of volatile emotions.

I especially want to know if his gender dysphoria is just "another phase"? Does his hidden desire to be another gender relate to the cheating, his low self esteem, and inability to control/manage his emotions? I think I can probably manage to come up with strategies to deal with his low self esteem/emotions, which are very hard to face. But I don't know if accepting his gender dysphoria in this relationship will be wise for me going forward. I feel that I am compromising so much that this relationship affects my health and well being so severely.

Thank you for reading this long note. 

Last edited by zen (January 21, 2020 10:32 am)

January 21, 2020 10:59 am  #2

Re: Husband's gender dysphoria and multiple cheating with women

I'm sorry you're in this situation but I'm glad you have found this site and our stories helpful (I'm the ex wife of a man who also declared he was transgender).

I notice that throughout your post you describe yourself as accommodating yourself to your husband, trying to please him, and, in contrast, that your husband has consistently responded to you and to your efforts by claiming they and you aren't enough, and resenting you for your abilities and successes.

That he sees you as competition or a rival over your job, and resents you in general, despite the care you give to him and your shouldering more responsibility in the family and in work, is likely also reflected in his feelings of you as a woman: he wants to be one, you are one, and he resents this fact.  That all of this ramped up after you gave birth unfortunately fits a pattern--men who decide they want to be women are often catapulted into action when their wives give birth or their daughters go through puberty.  

As for your questions in the last paragraph: It's likely that his "low self-esteem and inability to control/manage his emotions" is related to his gender dysphoria.  But his desire to be a woman is not "just 'another phase.'" 

What stands out to me is that you are well aware that life with your husband has become anything but satisfying and healthy for you.  You are consistently looking out for him, concerned with him, caretaking his emotions, running up against the brick wall of his resentment, seeing no result for your efforts.  What I think is that you are caught right now between your love for your husband and your realization that this love is not healthy for you.  From what you say in your post there is no reciprocity in your relationship; there is only you, doing everything you can for your husband, your marriage, and your family, and he, doing far less, resenting you rather than appreciating and thanking you for carrying him and your family.  In addition, he's cheated on you; I suggest you pay a visit over to ChumpLady.com.  

What you say about your husband's mood, his actions, and his feelings toward you, strikes a chord with me, because I observed many of these same characteristics, attitudes and behaviors in my own now ex-husband.

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (January 21, 2020 11:01 am)

January 21, 2020 1:44 pm  #3

I have no experience with a husband who wanted to cross-dress or come out as a woman. What I can say though is that you need to focus on yourself, not him. It is good that you are in individual therapy and hopefully it is focusing on your needs and desires. You seem to be farther along than him mental health- wise in that you are able to hold a job that you like and recognize that his behavior is troubling. This is good.

My thought is that there will come a point where you will need to separate from him in order to progress. He has his own issues to sort out with his counselor and the two of you together are in no position to help each other move forward. Your child deserves a home now that is not stressful or dangerous due to one parent's mood swings. Living apart from him you will be able to see more clearly whether or not you want to divorce him.

You feel overwhelmed because you are trying to carry him and he keeps adding more weight. Don't let this get to the point where you break down.  

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

January 21, 2020 7:14 pm  #4

Hi zen,

Welcome to the group. Am sorry you find yourself here. You definitely aren’t alone with these types of issues.

My late GIDXH was not a cross dresser or wanting to transition to female. He had similar life confusion issues outside of sexuality ( though it was a major symptom of hiding in the closet).

He was a hard working and disciplined guy during our courtship. Outgoing and calm. We had similar goals of having a family and buying a home. A year after our wedding, we agreed to have kids and buy a place.

Kids never happened due to his lack of interest. I forced the house issue. That’s where our stories become similar. Facing responsibility changed him. Not kids, but a mortgage and household maintenance.

He became like your h- moody, resentful, misplaced personal items, broke household fixtures. It was nothing he claimed and he accused me of overreacting. (Passive aggressive behavior due to his misplaced anger at me I see in hindsight.)  I shouldered more responsibility and worked hard to get promoted. I felt like I had a son and not a husband.

I discovered he had a gay encounter and the weird ways he acted made sense. My volatile emotions took over. I was furious at all the hard work and money put into shoring up a fake marriage.  I separated and decided to divorce. 

If you decide to wait for him until he sorts out his gender dysphoria, will anything change? Will he/she become a mature, responsible human being as a result? Will your spouse be consistently kind to you, gain higher self esteem, shoulder half the responsibility for the marriage,  and hang onto their keys and cellphone like glue?   Will the cheating stop? These are his choices to make and he needs to do the work to make this happen.  Your effort to make this happen for him will be for naught. You are not his therapist.
(Edited for clarity.)

Last edited by MJM017 (January 21, 2020 7:57 pm)

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

January 22, 2020 9:06 am  #5

Thank you OutofHisCloset, Abby, and MJM017 for your replies. I really do appreciate it. It helps to know you survived despite how unbearable the situation was. OutofHisCloset's point that I am caught between loving him and realizing that that love is not healthy for me strikes a chord. I have been wondering myself why despite everything that happens until today I still do love him oh so deeply. I keep coming up with excuses for his behaviors and hoping that he'd change if I give him time. We got so close with each other so quickly when we first met in 2009. There's not a day gone by without interacting with him. Most days we talked on whatsapp or gChat when we are not at home together. I realized now that we didn't create healthy boundaries to be a couple. However, we were and are still best friends besides our identity as husband/wife and parents. So, it is so difficult to imagine parting from him. But I know that our relationship is not healthy. Like MJM017, we have the mother-child dynamic. I did have to take care of my family when I grew up so it feels natural to me--not saying it is healthy.

OutofHisCloset's comment about giving birth reminds me that weird feeling until now that I had during our daughter's birth. My husband had a mysterious illness during those 7 days I was in the hospital (I had the preeclampsia). I felt so alone at the time because I was facing a scary experience of giving birth (mom just passed away a few months back) and he was lying on the hospital couch most of the time--no energy, confused, and just not present.

Abby, I appreciate that you said that the separation will help me (and him) to make progress. He has been out of town for a few weeks for work and I have been feeling much better just with the distance. I think it is a good idea to continue the break when he comes back so we each can start doing the new normal of taking care of our daughter while trying to heal/figure out what's next.

One other thing I need to add is that he is reflective about his behaviors and apologizes a lot. He continues to seek help. But still he seems to not be able to control his feelings/emotions/behaviors. My therapist says that "he sounds like a genuine human being" (not intentionally mean or anything) but he is at his core just very confused and have low self esteem. So I hate to watch him struggle, and it's difficult to provide support to him while I'm also affected by it. 

Last edited by zen (January 22, 2020 9:28 am)

January 22, 2020 12:31 pm  #6

zen wrote:

Thank you OutofHisCloset, Abby, and MJM017 for your replies. I really do appreciate it. It helps to know you survived despite how unbearable the situation was. OutofHisCloset's point that I am caught between loving him and realizing that that love is not healthy for me strikes a chord. I have been wondering myself why despite everything that happens until today I still do love him oh so deeply. I keep coming up with excuses for his behaviors and hoping that he'd change if I give him time. We got so close with each other so quickly when we first met in 2009. There's not a day gone by without interacting with him. Most days we talked on whatsapp or gChat when we are not at home together. I realized now that we didn't create healthy boundaries to be a couple. However, we were and are still best friends besides our identity as husband/wife and parents. So, it is so difficult to imagine parting from him. But I know that our relationship is not healthy. Like MJM017, we have the mother-child dynamic. I did have to take care of my family when I grew up so it feels natural to me--not saying it is healthy.

OutofHisCloset's comment about giving birth reminds me that weird feeling until now that I had during our daughter's birth. My husband had a mysterious illness during those 7 days I was in the hospital (I had the preeclampsia). I felt so alone at the time because I was facing a scary experience of giving birth (mom just passed away a few months back) and he was lying on the hospital couch most of the time--no energy, confused, and just not present.

Abby, I appreciate that you said that the separation will help me (and him) to make progress. He has been out of town for a few weeks for work and I have been feeling much better just with the distance. I think it is a good idea to continue the break when he comes back so we each can start doing the new normal of taking care of our daughter while trying to heal/figure out what's next.

One other thing I need to add is that he is reflective about his behaviors and apologizes a lot. He continues to seek help. But still he seems to not be able to control his feelings/emotions/behaviors. My therapist says that "he sounds like a genuine human being" (not intentionally mean or anything) but he is at his core just very confused and have low self esteem. So I hate to watch him struggle, and it's difficult to provide support to him while I'm also affected by it. 

Zen, I relate to you on so many levels. The strong feeling of love despite all that has happened. The feeling sorry for my GID and his behaviors. In a strange way, I pity him. He chases sexual gratification with many different trans women that to his own admittance trying to fill a void that cannot be filled. I started off very angry but as I sit back and watch what he does....i feel sorry for him. He also apologizes a lot. Promises to make things better when he can, saying he wants the best for me. Now, I'm aware that he may never make things better. He may never fix the mess that he made but in a weird way I leave my heart open for the chance. I've been trying to rationalize my feelings and I think I do this because if he does fix things, then it softens the blow a bit. If he doesnt, then I remain angry, bitter and wondering why i, like many of you, were subjected to such pain. I want to believe there is some good that could come out of this traumatic situation. It's the only way I believe that I will genuinely heal from all of this.

January 23, 2020 12:02 am  #7

zen & HurtAndConfused,

You may want to discuss your interest in staying with your partners on the MOM board.  It may be of help to you so you can gain clarity and make decisions to benefit yourselves.

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

January 23, 2020 6:56 am  #8

MJM017 wrote:

zen & HurtAndConfused,

You may want to discuss your interest in staying with your partners on the MOM board.  It may be of help to you so you can gain clarity and make decisions to benefit yourselves.

Thank you MJ. Although I pity and feel bad for my husband, I know 100% that we cant be together romantically. We have children together so I would hope that we have a nice "friendship" for the sake of my children.

Board footera