OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 21, 2019 4:38 pm  #1

has anyone tried EDRM or brainspotting to deal with trauma

something I am reading about...I have tried coaching and therapy..sick of pills..wanting some relief..honestly desperate but cant invest in any more things that dont help.

December 22, 2019 7:26 am  #2

Re: has anyone tried EDRM or brainspotting to deal with trauma

I had asked about it.  It seems like more expensive therapy. 
I was thinking it probably works but as I understood it they do have you talk about the trauma while doing it.

We should only have to go through the trauma once.   

I had used alicia Salazar's Back to Life book..she has some techniques for dealing with trauma.   For example I use one technique when interfacing with my GX..i.e. Its a public place..the probability that she is going to become violent with you is extremely low..you are safe.

Last edited by Rob (December 22, 2019 7:27 am)

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

December 22, 2019 12:50 pm  #3

I did EMDR 25 years ago to deal with traumatic issues from childhood. I had all the memories of this and the emotions. I had done a lot of unsuccessful talk therapy beforehand. I couldn’t get rid of the pain and anger. I couldn’t get it out of my mind.  EMDR helped me move on.  The therapist had received her training directly from the founder of EMDR.  My therapist taught me how to do it on my own.

I have all memories of the abuse from my GIDXH but the emotions and pain from each incident was frozen.  I had free floating anger at life. I performed EMDR on my own 2 years ago. The floating anger disappeared for a week but returned. Kind of like drinking some wine to forget for a bit—not great.

Two weeks ago I had strong emotions arise out of the blue relating to the first time my ex h physically abused me. I could feel the anger and rage at him. That helped a lot. Not as tired and a bit happier than in 10 years.

Sorry for this long winded explanation.  You can try a few sessions to decide. It works quickly. Hugs and hope you find something which works.

Last edited by MJM017 (December 22, 2019 12:51 pm)

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

December 23, 2019 10:08 am  #4

What is EMDR?

December 25, 2019 11:05 am  #5

Hi Walk,

It stands for Eye Movement Desensitization & Reprocessing.   Here is Francine Shapiro’s site. She’s the therapist who first developed it. https://www.emdr.com/what-is-emdr/

It’s not the only modality for PTSD. US military veterans are the most  scientifically-studied  group with PTSD. Here are modalities the US Veterans Administration recommends based on those double-blind studies. 

Veterans have not found much relief from these VA modalities. Here’s an article from the New York Times on “treatments” which have helped.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/18/us/veterans-ptsd-alternative-therapies.html?searchResultPosition=2

Am sure this is TMI on the subject. Take care & Happy Holidays to you!

Last edited by MJM017 (December 25, 2019 11:06 am)

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

December 27, 2019 6:36 am  #6

I did EMDR along with talk therapy and it was life-changing for me.

At first, it seemed as if I was going backward instead of forward. I had worked hard for years to bury all those emotions and feelings in order to function. However, in order to finally process everything properly (because, as I understand it, trauma is your brain not processing an event - or series of events - properly which is why those events seem so real and so current), those events/emotions need to be brought back to the surface. It was hard, emotionally draining work, but I have come so far. I am not fully healed and know I will one day have to go back to therapy to deal with a couple of remaining issues (dealing mostly with trusting others, etc), but my triggers are fewer and much less intense than they used to be. I also now have tools to help me deal with those triggers when they do happen so that I don't find myself spiraling downward for weeks or even months at a time.

Good luck to you. 

Board footera