OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 22, 2019 1:05 pm  #1

Those With GIDXs, Have You Ever Told Friends/Family?

I have not. I did tell a facilitator at a divorce support group. She didn’t believe me given the length of the marriage. That was painful.

I don’t think I will ever tell.  Am not sure I would tell a long term partner about it either - if I start to date & we become serious.

In the closet with this too. Not fair.

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

December 22, 2019 2:43 pm  #2

Re: Those With GIDXs, Have You Ever Told Friends/Family?

Edited to say:  I realize you have asked about "in denial" and not "closeted," and the issues are somewhat different.

I have told friends and family, although I have not (yet) told my adult son.  My closeted ex has told only three people--me, his sister, and a former student with whom he "explored" his transness for at least part of the three years he was doing so before he informed me--but he only told them/me because he was, at that time, egged on by the former student, intending on carrying through with "transition," which he later decided he would not do.  After that, he retreated back into the closet, which had the effect of trapping me in there also. (However, if he'd never told me, I never would have understood what was the problem in my marriage, and would have continued beating my head against the wall and blaming myself--so, now that it's all over, I'm at least grateful I'm not in that situation any longer. His disclosure gave me a way to understand his behavior.) 

For a year and a half, I did not tell anyone except one friend, who lives a thousand miles away, with the permission of my now ex, who thought because she was a lesbian she was "safe" and would take his side (he was mistaken, although I never told him that). I found living in my then husband's closet crazy-making, like living a lie, walking around every day carrying out all my usual tasks while knowing that no one had a clue what I was going through at home.  After a year and a half, I came on this board, and told one other friend, someone in my day to day life; I also found an online blog at that time by a woman who referred to herself as a "transwidow." Those were lifelines for me. 

I told my mother after I had decided to divorce my now ex, because I knew that after telling her I would have to carry through.  This was about nine months before I left.  She was supportive. 

Only after I left my then husband and began divorce proceedings, three years after his disclosure, did I begin to tell other of my friends.  I encountered a range of reactions.  Some people supported me and understood how awful the experience must have been; some did not understand and said some version of "how awful for him, having to hide."  I had one friend say he didn't believe it, which was incredibly hurtful, as it implied that I was telling lies about my ex, and that I was the kind of person who would do this.  I also told the rest of my immediate family at that time, and they were all supportive of me and of my decision to leave, although my sister, who has always disdained anything feminine and has always gravitated toward masculine pursuits, revealed her sympathy for my ex's desire to be the opposite sex.  I was surprised by some people's responses, and let down by a few of them.  

I think getting a negative reaction upon initial disclosure, such as you had, MJM017, especially from someone in a support capacity, would be incredibly hurtful, and would have made me hesitate to tell anyone else--a "once bitten, twice shy" kind of reaction.  Some of the reactions I got, even late in the process, like the friend who said he didn't believe it (he later back pedalled and said what he meant was that he had a hard time believing it, given that there was no outward indication), were hurtful, but I have come far enough along in my healing to see that their reactions say more about them than about me. In general I would say that the responses I got told me a lot about whom I was going to trust and be close to going forward. 

I find that my ex's closeted life, his presentation of a false facade, infuriates me.  He carries on in the workplace (we worked at the same place, and I took early retirement to get away from him) exactly as he always has, and no one has a clue that the thoughtful, rational, caring, feminist ally persona is a projection, like a hologram.  I even had a woman colleague who told me, when she discovered I was married to him, say, "Oh, you're so lucky."   My response to the unfairness, the injustice, the crazy making gaslighting of having to stay in his closet while he presents his lie to the world, has been to distance myself and try to leave it all behind.  It's the only way I can shield myself from the volcanic anger that prevents me from making a new and better life for myself.  I am currently living a thousand miles from "the scene of the (continuing) crime," so to speak, caring for my aging mother, and when I return home again, it will be only for the brief few months it will take for me to pack up and move away to a new home, where I hope to make a life of my own so bright that it dispels the shadow he cast over my life.  

In the future, I'll be open about my past to new friends, but I won't dwell on it.   I am going to live a transparently honest and open life.  He will continue to live a lie until he dies. 

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (December 22, 2019 5:17 pm)

December 23, 2019 10:43 am  #3

Re: Those With GIDXs, Have You Ever Told Friends/Family?

This question, who to talk to and who to withhold information from, is a really tough question.  I suspect the responses are going to be all over the map.

You're trying to work through the least bad choice.  So here's my two cents.

I found that keeping deeply painful secrets from my friends and family was isolating.  There would be times when I just didn't have the strength to keep up a fake smile, and it was easier to just avoid human contact.  In my situation, I had to make a decision because the lie itself could only be kept alive by gaslighting my daughter, and I wasn't okay with that.  Once I knew what I knew, I wasn't going to allow him to damage my daughter.  On the other hand, I knew that once I told my daughter, I didn't want to put her in a situation where she had to keep a secret -- that wouldn't be fair to her.  She needed to be able to talk to her friends, teachers, family, and support network.  So telling her and then swearing her to secrecy was out of the question.

In our situation, our daughter had grown up in a household where one parent had irrational sudden explosive tantrums, where he would say unforgiveable things to her, where mysterious things happened -- like a condom wrapper being found in her bed -- and this persistent lack of logic in her universe was going to have extreme long-lasting consequences if it wasn't addressed head on.  Kids can't grow into functioning adults if their sense of "normalcy" has been crippled, and I could see this happening to my daughter.

Since I wasn't willing to lie to her, and I also wasn't willing to burden her with having to lie to everyone else, i had only one choice left: I had to figure out who to tell, in what order, so that when our daughter was told ... she didn't end up even worse off.  

At first, I deferred to my husband on how his family would be told.  He told me he just wanted to tell them about the divorce after it was final.  But, we've been living apart for more than a year and looking at my facebook posts it's obvious I'm living in another city.  So when his sister contacted me and asked me if everything was okay, I was completely candid with her.  

I know for some people this isn't the way to go.  I know some people will feel it's a betrayal of their spouse, and with all the BS we go through we're all talking about people we once loved and cared for very deeply, and it's like a real knife in the back to go and "out" them.  But i keep coming back to this question: if my daughter had to learn of this secret because a policeman was knocking on the door to tell us her father had been murdered by a gay prostitute, or died when a kinky sex thing went wrong -- would that be the right way for her to learn?  Wouldn't she have the right to hate me once she found out I'd known all along and lied about it?  And both of those hypotheticals happened in the real world, to real people.

Last edited by walkbymyself (December 23, 2019 10:45 am)

Board footera