OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 19, 2019 5:28 pm  #1

Reminding Myself

I have not been here in a while because I needed to step away from TGT to try to focus on myself. I am recovering gradually, 17 months into a (nearly) no contact separation and 39 months post discovery that my husband and “best friend” of over 30 years is a GID cheating, self-centered POS whose greatest talent is lying. I struggled and still struggle so much with the cognitive dissonance between the reality of who I thought he was and who he actually is.  I think that is the devastating difference between basic infidelity and the surreal nightmare of TGT. Our torturers were not just hiding what they did but they have taken away all remnants of happy memories in our relationships by hiding WHO they are/were. I am not entirely in agreement with the DSM classifications of personality disorders because I feel it is such an oversimplification of complex issues, but my ex GIDH could certainly fit in the category of covert narcissist. Apparently they care so much about how they are perceived by others that all their energy goes into keeping a mask in place to hide their shame about their true selves. I think all of this exists on a spectrum. However, it does give me one possible answer of how he was/is willing to discard the most loving people in his life rather than to be honest with them. Does this resonate with you as well?

October 19, 2019 10:42 pm  #2

Re: Reminding Myself

This is exactly how I feel about my situation. My GX is absolutely a covert narcissist. How someone can have no respect or common decency for a spouse and their children, I cannot grasp. It has to be mental in nature IMO. And yes it is torture daily knowing the past was a total lie, and the future we expected and planned, is no longer. 33 years of marriage & about 36 years together was a majority of our lives..........for nothing. I have wonderful children/grandchildren that mean the world to me, but the time wasted with this awful person has taken its toll on me!   

I am so happy to be divorced from this pathetic excuse for a person, much less husband or father.
Best wishes!

October 19, 2019 10:47 pm  #3

a lot of what you say resonates with me a lot.  It wasn't until I left him that I met someone who remembered us from way back when and he said he could see how much I needed affection and he could see my ex was not responding to me at all, but intent on putting on a good appearance.  I looked back through all my memories - he only ever put his arm round me in public.  I never saw it at the time.

Yes the real person was entirely different to the way I had imagined him and I went into a profound state of shock when I finally saw him.  He's not nice at all but all his friends think he is and I had believed it too.

I don't think it is shame that makes them hide though, I wish it was.  I think it is pleasure.  He derives pleasure from tricking people.  

October 19, 2019 11:36 pm  #4

Deleted post.

Last edited by Lynne (April 25, 2020 10:55 am)

October 20, 2019 4:10 am  #5

"Don't burst my bubble" I mean he actually said that to me once - final resort when I persisted in wanting to talk about how I was feeling.

I have been thinking about the shame aspect - it seems to me it is us who end up feeling ashamed, it was for me, and I think really that is because of the way he manipulated me to feel and it was quite deliberate and what I saw was when he couldn't manipulate me any more he was disappointed and immediately looking for new prey, no sense of shame at all.

October 20, 2019 8:14 am  #6

What you say and describe of your ex's behavior resonates with me, too. 

My observations of my ex have convinced me, though, that to say they do what they do in order to "hide their shame" does not tell the full story (and serves to excuse their behavior).   My ex said he hid the truth from me because of shame, but at the same time he was hiding from me he was carrying on with an ex-student and telling her the truth.  He revealed all when it suited him.  

Lynne, it sounds as if our exes are cut from the same cloth, presenting one face to the public and living another life in private.  I decided that my ex's decision not to "live his truth" openly was explained not by shame but by pride and privilege.  He wanted to keep all the benefits of living as a man, and he didn't want to live the life of a less than beautiful woman.  Wish I had that choice...   

And yes, it was hard to wrap my head around that fact that a secret(ive) life mattered more to him than over thirty years of marriage, a life built together, an intact family, and a planned and financially easy future.  To be discarded in favor of openly living his truth would have felt less humiliating than being discarded for a dishonest life.  But his choice was certainly clarifying for me about the kind of person he is.  

I'm so glad to be divorced from him. 

October 20, 2019 11:00 am  #7

Last edited by Lynne (April 25, 2020 11:09 am)

October 20, 2019 11:52 am  #8

Lynne
   I didn't mean to imply that your ex is (actually) a transgender woman (and maybe he never even called himself that?). Sorry if it seems I was invalidating your description or your reality. 

October 20, 2019 11:58 am  #9

Thank you all for your insightful responses. On some level my POS GID ex H and I were a perfect match because we wanted many of the same things but for VERY different reasons. He didn’t choose me because I was weak or easily victimized. He chose me to elevate himself. I brought all of my personal strengths to my marriage and made his life so much better. I adapted myself to lift him up. Isn’t that what a lifelong bond is supposed to be about?  The good things I saw him doing that I believed were also for US were actually not for us but for him. He had many qualities that made him look like a great husband. I was so love-bonded to him that my physiological response to him was that of feeling safe and secure. If he had been mean and cruel to my face it would have been easier to accept what I now know he did behind my back. That is where the dissonance is so drastic. I could not reconcile the two very different realities until I read about the behavior of Covert Narcissists. I don’t want to spend more of my precious time analyzing  HIM but somehow it has helped me to get some kind of resolution to my dissonance by thinking about him on that behavioral spectrum. It is also very validating to come here and say can you believe this?  How can this be?

October 20, 2019 12:44 pm  #10

that is similar for me - I was the catch.  I believed he was a good man and caring of others.  I felt safe and secure lying by his side.  I didn't know him at all.

great post, thanks.

Last edited by lily (October 20, 2019 12:45 pm)

Board footera