OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 9, 2019 6:51 pm  #1

Uniqueness

Does anyone else with a MTF husband feel like they have lost their identity in the relationship? I think wow the only thing I have that makes me unique is a vagina. I know that sounds crude but that is how I feel. It is like I have estrogen, he has estrogen. I have breasts he has breasts. He wears foundation I wear foundation which i stopped because it makes me furious. He wears women underwear, socks, bras as do I. I had short denim cut off type shorts he has slightly longer ones. I shave he shaves. I have a cartlidge earring he has one. I have earrings in my lobes he does. I wear the same deoderant as he does. I feel like I have lost the status of wife. Like I know two women can be married and it is the same thing but I did not marry a woman so I feel like NOW i have lost all of my identifying factors. It is starting to chip away at me. I dont know how else to explain it.  

August 9, 2019 7:00 pm  #2

Re: Uniqueness

No matter which way you look at it...you are unique.

He....will NEVER be a true woman. You don't even have to try to be one

*Hugs*

KIA KAHA                       

August 9, 2019 8:39 pm  #3

Delete post.

Last edited by Lynne (April 25, 2020 11:16 am)

August 9, 2019 8:50 pm  #4

Straight Spouse 1979.
What you are experiencing is documented in the psychological literature.  Here are some excerpts from an article by Donna Chapman.  I have posted a link to it before, and have quoted from it more extensively on another thread.

"The partners of TI individuals are thrown into emotional chaos....The new gender expression of the transitioning spouse may cause the remaining spouse to question their own sexual identity and how they are perceived, no matter how secure they had been about their own sexual identity (Lev, 2005)."

"[Changes introduced by the transitioning spouse have the effect of] shattering the assumptions that [the straight spouses] have about their own identity, about the relationship, and about their own sexual orientation, and triggering responses that meet definitions of trauma."

"[The straight spouse's] sense of self-worth is shaken along with their sense of security in the world (Johnson et al., 2001)."

"When a partner comes out as TI and requests transition the remaining partner’s sense of self-worth is shaken along with their sense of security in  the world (Lev, 2005). Their core beliefs about relationships, their partner, and themselves are challenged even down to their sexual identification and orientation."

"The injured party [who is the straight spouse] tends to swing from one state of hyper arousal to another. Hyper arousal is a cardinal symptom of PTSD; it is defined as a physiological sense of impending danger, restlessness, and extreme fight, flight, and freeze responses. The injured party often accuses and clings, then numbs and withdraws (Johnson et al., 2001). The level of shock and disruption of attachment system that a spouse experiences when their partner comes out as TI clearly parallels the experience of any other couple experiencing the manifestation of an attachment injury."

"Attachment injury and relationship trauma are analogous terms describing the same situation, in which one partner does not trust the security of the relationship and holds the other partner responsible (Johnson et al., 2001)."

"In a real sense the non-TI (TI=trans-identified] partner may feel the attachment injury in the form of loss, grieving the loss of the original partner every time they look at the TI partner."

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (August 9, 2019 8:51 pm)

August 10, 2019 8:14 am  #5

OOHC

Triggering responses that meet definitions of trauma. This hits home. I feel like I have experienced a trauma. As far as behavioral I definitely have agitation, irritability, hostility, social isolation. As far as psychological I do have mistrust. Mood a lost of interest in things. My insomnia has gotten worse. Emotional detachment 

My sense of self worth and safety is definitely an issue at the moment. I always thought I would have my marriage as i went into it and now I feel like i have lost all of my sense of security in life

hyperarousal sleeping problems, irritability, difficulty concentrated, anger and angry outbursts, and a sense of guilt and shame 

definite attachment injury in a form of loss grief everytime I look at my husband to the point that I cannot look at him and have taken down every photo of us in the house. 

August 10, 2019 8:28 am  #6

I also felt those feelings, and I felt them even during the time I was attempting to accept and to accommodate myself to the changes he had introduced in himself and our life.  Eventually I decided that the toll those feelings were taking on me, taken together with the self-centered, selfish, and un-empathetic behavior and responses to me of my then-husband, necessitated my leaving the marriage.  

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (August 10, 2019 2:01 pm)

August 10, 2019 12:29 pm  #7

Hi Straigtspouse1979,
Yes, I do understand what you mean.

I have felt the same way even though my ex isn't as far on in transition and I haven't had the physical changes to deal with that you have.

I think on one level, at least the clothes, makeup etc. is because they're trying to find their own way and are copying their nearest model  - us. Probably they've been watching and wishing for years.

On a deeper level, I've found this really traumatic. I felt like I was living with a body snatcher, everything I have, they want. I deliberately put on weight and wore baggy clothes to hide myself. I hated hanging out the washing and having to check whose underwear was whose. I have clothes I can't wear any more because now I understand they bought them because they wanted them and I got to be the shop dummy for their fantasy. They started wearing the same perfume they bought me on our wedding day. I hate the smell of it now.

I can understand you feeling the loss of your own place in the relationship, we end up having to question everything about ourselves as a result of their changes and if we try to keep up, each step by them requires more questions and adaptations of ourselves.

I felt like I was being pushed into the male role - while somehow keeping all the every day wife chores too - they might chip a nail... or "you always said a woman's place isn't in the kitchen" if I asked for help. No sisterhood there!

Since I left, I've been working on finding my own identity again and facing the triggers I've been left with (certain perfumes, material textures, colours, underwear choices...).

Yes, it really does your head in.

August 10, 2019 4:54 pm  #8

Elliecat
Exactly
Anytime i paint my nails and he is nearby i think great he prob wishes this was him 
I found a journal while snooping on his computer not proud of it but i dont get any information from him and he said he was so distant my entire pregnancy and wedding planning because he wished he was the bride he was the mom
i felt like vomiting ; i wish i had not read it because i feel robbed of what is special to me out of him tainting it by saying he wished it was him 
i found a new deodorant smell for the same reason because he got the same i always wore 

August 10, 2019 7:19 pm  #9

On one of the SSN podcasts, one of the speakers related the story of a woman whose M2F spouse asked, "Can I take a picture of your breasts to take to my surgery consultation?"  He literally wanted to TAKE HER BREASTS AND COPY THEM FOR HIMSELF.

I have heard some people say, well, the wife is the only female role model he has, so of course he's going to mimic her.  But I call BS on that.

The breast story is perhaps an extreme example, but I bet it's very common for a wife to feel she's having her femininity siphoned away, or appropriated.

Board footera