OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 2, 2019 7:33 pm  #1

Addiction

Been having a very hard time getting my head around the idea that he would throw me overboard and watch me sink beneath the waves just to protect his "secret".  Thought about the parallel with drug addiction or alcoholism.  An addict will do ANYTHING just to keep doing what he/she wants to do.  Can't escape the similarity.  Any thoughts?

Last edited by TwistingInTheWind (August 2, 2019 7:58 pm)

August 3, 2019 1:09 am  #2

Re: Addiction

Just a few squares and I will leave the rest for after dinner.  oops.  just finished the chocolate bar.  Damn, wish I could stop when I wanted to.

But I know that if there were someone here I would share it with them.  I would not steal it from another.  Addiction to a substance is very real but there are checks and balances.  I would not like to eat chocolate at the expense of another person.  I limit the amount I keep in the pantry so I don't eat too much but sometimes I get it wrong and I have run out when I am really craving it - I don't stop caring about the feelings of other people in the midst of a craving for chocolate, even a bad one.

Say I was in the middle of a park, green grass to walk over all around and no chocolate in sight.  The three year old wants the last piece and so do I.  What am I going to do?  I am going to share it and we will both have fun eating it.

It's hard to understand how a person can be so uncaring because it is foreign to your nature.

My ex had an addiction going to the thrill of tricking people.  The more hurt they felt in their bewildered consternation,  the more it thrilled him.  There we are getting divorced and he is boasting to me of how he kept a tele-marketer on the phone for 45 minutes believing he would buy the product.  what fun, eh!

August 4, 2019 8:33 am  #3

Twisting, I do think there are some similarities.  My husband grew up in an alcoholic home, and I believe the secrecy and shame he internalized there--plus having secrets he wanted to keep--probably affect the gay-in-denial stuff.  Also, yes, I think my husband will say or do anything he wants to keep doing whatever he wants.  In fact, I think this most strongly about the abusive behaviors in my marriage that are not actually related to his sexuality--he just is willing to throw me out to get to do a hobby, or choose the dinner menu, etc.

A few thoughts:
First, there is a lot to unpack here in the straight spouse experience--we are all really struggling--many members here are still struggling years later to make sense of things and deal with the grief and trauma.  Any metaphors you find that help you as you work through this will probably help you because they are speaking to you at that moment.

When I read your post, the drowning metaphor was more powerful to me than the connection to addiction.

At the same time, a warning: I think it's also important to be aware of how any metaphor we find might minimize our experience by at all suggesting the gay/bi spouse is not responsible for their treatment of us.  I know you are focusing on the "do whatever they can to get whatever they want" part of it.  Addiction sometimes gets twisted to that:  'he just couldn't help himself.'  And, I think most of us accept that a person's sexuality is not something they choose.  However, they do choose how to treat us.  And that is the issue--how they treat us, and the secrets to do it.  So yes similar.  But never an excuse.

August 4, 2019 4:34 pm  #4

I simply can not believe that you thought I was making excuses for him.  There are no excuses and will never be.  However, we are all human beings and while there are no excuses for betrayal and theft of my life there are ways that things like this happen.  One of them is that I wasn't paying attention.  All the signs were there - a fifty something man who had NEVER lived with a woman???  Hello???  Homosexual?, not my darling.  We had an active and satisfying (at least to me) sex life.  Sex EVERY night and sometimes twice.  How did I rate this and it was GOOD sex.  Then I got breast cancer, stage three.  He was supportive loving and helpful.  Chemo, two surgeries, radiation and then estrogen blocking drugs.  The sex life went to hell. I wasn't in any condition and my body would not cooperate.  The predatory queens were lining up and he took the bait.  He hasn't told me any of this and I suspect never will but I recall now how it was.  We talked about health insurance and he said "I should probably look into it."  I said "why, you are very healthy?"  His answer "What if I get aids".  Not, I could have a heart attack or get cancer myself or even a bad accident, noooooo,  ir was "What if I get aids?"  I STILL did not catch on.  Then there was a tenant who applied for one of his apartments.  I showed the apt and my partner showed up when I did this.  The young man left and  my partner asked me in a very eager way "Do you think he is gay?"  Ding, ding, ding, flashing red lights, more flashing red lights - not MY darling.   I screened the tenants and recommeded againist this one - he had been evicted from his last rewntal for non-payment.  My partner over rode my objections and rented to him anyway.  The YOUNG man lived in the apartment for a YEAR while he might have paid three months rent..  There is more -  a long list of more.  But, upon the 70th birthday he began being very, very blatant about it.  Hard to explain but it seemed that he was trying to tell me WITHOUT telling me.  Since then every thing has gone down hill.  There is NO intimacy, NO affection, NO concern for my wishes or feelings.  So, I did not want to believe and I wasn't REALLY paying attention.  But., there comes a day of reckoning and it has arrived.  I do not see a way forward or back so there is only up or down and I'm NOT going down.  My life and brain are in chaos and it seems there is quick sand beneath my feet - ALL THE TIME!  My options are slim and not very hopeful.  It is late in the game for me.

August 5, 2019 8:04 am  #5

Twisting, You have gone through some awful stuff.  For decades!  I am so sorry I hurt you. i reread what I wrote and can see it sounded just as you took it—that I thought you were making excuses for him, like I was saying there was something wrong with you. Although I did not mean it that way, I am sorry to have not given you the support you needed.

I agree with you that—like an addiction—our GID spouses will cover up all kinds of things—even basic honesty— to get what they want. 

In my own life, one of my own struggles is realizing that I have made excuses for my husband.  That my own natural compassion has been used against me.  I have also seen a lot of people on the Chump Lady website talk about how the label “sex addict” gets used by other people to excuse a cheating soouse’s behavior.

When I responded to you, I over-read my own experience into what you wrote, and I am sorry for that too.   I was worried for you, “here is someone else, another victim, who might get sucked back into the vortex of other people excusing this horrible horrible behavior inflicted on her.” For me, being in such shock, everything is more confusing to me than normal, so it has helped me to read other people calling out the offender’s behavior and not allowing any excuses.

It sounds like you are in a really awful situation.  I hope you will give this forum another chance.  There are lots of people here who have helped me.

Board footera