OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 27, 2019 12:01 pm  #1

Finding Support groups

I have not really throughly gone through this forum yet. I am not even two weeks into finding out that the woman I have lived with for 25 years and have been married to for 18 years believes she is a Lesbian or at least she knows she is attracted to females. My whole life and reality has been shattered. There is much to my story but I tried contacting the SSN to see if there is any support groups in Canada (Ontario) but have not gotten a response. Can anyone shed some light on this
Thanks

July 27, 2019 12:26 pm  #2

Re: Finding Support groups

Hey, Thumper:  I am so sorry that you are going through this.  I had the same devastating discovery back in March 2019.  Together 21 years, married for 15, and three awesome kids.  I hope there's a group in Ontario, but we are hear to listen online if you want to post your story or seek advice.  We are here for you online, too!  You've come to the right place. 

July 27, 2019 7:32 pm  #3

Thank you for your support blue bear. I will one day share my story.  I too have 3 awesome teenagers( most of time, lol , but they are teenagers). I am having such a hard time dealing with these emotions. She has alot to figure out and I am left with a pile of hurt. We have or had a wonderful marriage and have always been best friends. I must admit there have been some complicated circumstances that had affected our sex life ( will share in my story) but I honestly didn't see this coming at all. I always loved her with all my heart and always put her first. I am not blaming myself because I know I was always intention on being the best person I could be for her and our marriage.  There are just so many emotions that I am left with. And I don't know how to deal with them

July 27, 2019 7:51 pm  #4

Thank you for your support blue bear. I will one day share my story.  I too have 3 awesome teenagers( most of time, lol , but they are teenagers). I am having such a hard time dealing with these emotions. She has alot to figure out and I am left with a pile of hurt. We have or had a wonderful marriage and have always been best friends. I must admit there have been some complicated circumstances that had affected our sex life ( will share in my story) but I honestly didn't see this coming at all. I always loved her with all my heart and always put her first. I am not blaming myself because I know I was always intention on being the best person I could be for her and our marriage.  There are just so many emotions that I am left with. And I don't know how to deal with them

July 27, 2019 9:02 pm  #5

There is a group that meets in mid-town Toronto. If you contacted SSN through the website someone will contact you.

July 28, 2019 10:19 am  #6

Thumper - you can also contact the Toronto group through their website - https://straightforwardcanada.wordpress.com/

Their next meeting is in about two weeks.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

July 28, 2019 1:26 pm  #7

Daryl,
 Thanks for posting that link.  I'm not in Toronto, but the list they provide of what they provide "constructive help" for is very useful.  I'll use it in explaining to friends what the effects are on the straight spouse.

Board footera