OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 30, 2019 9:22 pm  #1

Annoyed and processing

Ugh... had my first post separation conversation with GID husband a few days ago.  He wanted to tell me that he realized he's been wrong and wanted to take responsibility for the lack of intimacy for the last 5 years or so.

He then laid out all of the reasons: I was depressed (true), I watched too much TV, I wasn't interesting, I hadn't been working. I wasn't X, I didn't do Y, and I did Z.  

Are you kidding me?  OK, so I spent years building a career and when I left I didn't exactly have a plan.  It did put me in a bit of a tailspin, but frankly I could afford some time to figure out what my next steps were.  Then the death of a parent and a few suicide attempts by my youngest daughter derailed me even more.

So... THAT's why he never initiated anything?  Because It's all my fault and he's man enough now to admit he should have communicated more?  And what about the years before that?  I'm just really pissed that he's laying this out so he gets credit for accepting responsibility but it's all my fault.

I just needed to get this out there so I can hopefully sleep and not keep replaying this tonight.

My favorite part was when he said there were times we were laying in bed and he thought maybe we would have sex, but I eventually got out of bed.  I had to point out the number of times I initiated and was rejected taught me not to initiate.  What did he think was going to happen?  

OK, I might be a little more pissed off than I originally thought.

June 30, 2019 10:13 pm  #2

Re: Annoyed and processing

Last edited by MJM017 (July 12, 2021 5:56 am)

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

June 30, 2019 10:28 pm  #3

Of course it's not your fault.  They are the masters of blameshifting.  

July 1, 2019 7:15 am  #4

Thanks MJM and OOHC.  I basically took and dump on this page (left my stinky shit out there), read some Amity, and slept like a rock.  I am SO THANKFUL for this community.

Love to all

July 9, 2019 9:56 am  #5

You are in the same boat as I am sort of.  GID husband told me the other night that we had had sex (twice since October of last year), it just wasn't as much as I wanted or on my terms.  Ummm yeah, it's my number one emotional need.  

It would be laughable if we heard this on a TV show etc, but unfortunately it's our real life and so incredibly painful.

I'm sorry you're here. 

July 10, 2019 10:53 am  #6

I'm sorry we're all here, but incredibly grateful for "here".  One thing that helps me is to find what I'm grateful for.  I am grateful I'm older, because if this happened to me 20 years ago it would have been much more difficult for me to process emotionally.  Sounds weird, right?  But I've had so much time to come to this conclusion without solid evidence, I feel like I've been in mourning for this marriage for years.  For me, this later in life maturity comes with the conviction that I know my own mind.  I'm still annoyed and processing though.  

Another (incredibly small) thing I'm grateful for is the ability to stop searching for shit before bedtime!  Baby steps but I sleep.

Love to all

My turn

July 10, 2019 1:20 pm  #7

Last edited by MJM017 (July 12, 2021 5:57 am)

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

Board footera