OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 17, 2019 10:25 am  #1

I’m so happy I found SSN

Hi,
I saw the Chump Lady Blog post last week, and the comments mentioned SSN and that’s how I found this forum.

3-1/2 years ago my ex told me he didn’t want to be with me after 2 years of being married. This was his second marriage.
He wouldn’t move out, and eventually did a few months later
I still wanted to be together for my daughter, and because, well trauma bonding
Then 4 months after that I got a text saying that I probably already noticed the transition (MTF) and would I entertain a relationship
I was elated - my daughter had a chance to have her two parents together!! Love is love right?
It took me more time to realize my ex was abusive. And I’m not a lesbian, well I knew that all along
So finally I filed for divorce and pushed it through.

I see my ex almost daily for child hand offs. It can be re-traumatizing
I’ve had DBT therapy and EMDR and general talk therapy.

At this point the time we were a couple is (2-1/2 years; we met 6 months before we married) is shorter than  the time after wards (3-1/2 years). I’m much better, but not fully recovered. I have a hard time moving on in some ways - I’m still living in the home we lived in together. And driving the car he bought for himself but “gave” me when my older vehicle started acting weird.

I always felt like this situation with a transgender spouse who was also a covert narcissist and abusive was unique. And his two marriages, each with one child, military background. Masculine. None of it made sense. But the light bulb went on when I read about autogynephillia.  So much makes sense now.

I’m so glad I found this group. I read the Man Who Would be Queen last night and this morning.
I’ve printed one of Ann Lawrence’s essays. I’m hoping the more I learn the more I can move on and get better.

Thank you to those who have shared stories and resources.

Oh, for those in the early stages, I want to say for me I am so much happier now. My home has peace. I’m not being manipulated. My joke is that I control the thermostat so no one is making it too cold. I’m learning healthy boundaries. And modeling them for my daughter. We are so much better off.

June 17, 2019 5:30 pm  #2

Re: I’m so happy I found SSN

BellaB,
    Yes, the light really does go on when you discover autogynephilia, doesn't it?  I remember when I found Bailey's book--a commenter on a NYT opinion piece mentioned it--and read it, nodding my head as I recognized so much of what my then-husband had been saying/doing.  Even he had to agree it fit, and he grudgingly accepted that he's an autogynephile, although his position is "it doesn't hurt anyone" and that if he could pass he'd still attempt to live as a woman.  
  I can't imagine how you deal with having to see your ex almost daily.  I try as hard as I can to stay no contact with my ex, as talking to him, seeing him, or going over to our old house (I moved out) are all upsetting.  If you haven't run across the thread I started with the article on "attachment injury," here's the information.  It, too, is available online.
Donna Chapman and Benjamin Caldwell: “Attachment Injury Resolution in Couples  When One Partner is Transgender”
Journal of Systemic Therapies, Vol 31, No. 2, 2012, pp36-53
(full text of article available online)

June 17, 2019 7:00 pm  #3

Bella,
So glad to read your post. Not glad for your experience, but I hear a happiness in you and loved the thermostat joke!

June 18, 2019 8:41 am  #4

Hi OOHC - thanks for the reply and the reference. I read it last night and very interesting and validating. For all the therapists and doctors I talked to, not one mentioned Straight Spouse Network - and while very supportive I don’t think any one had any experience with a person who’s spouse “came out”.

The fact that this is a live attachment injury really makes sense and I never thought of this that way.  every time  I see or interact with my ex- she’s still a woman. And that’s unique from getting over a trauma that happened in the past. It just keeps happening.  I know having my daughter on a different schedule would minimize contact, but she’s still young and eventually I’m sure we will move to conventional schedule. It is hard - thanks for validating that . I don’t need to see the lip injections, fake nails, revealing clothes - not that I am against those things. I spend my time and money the way I chose (work and parenting / and I like to save). But it can be triggering. And I have gently been instilling in my daughter what is appropriate dress. 

I also liked reading the  dialogue between the couple and therapist. I wanted to cry because I could relate to the feelings.

Are you still with your significant other? I’m amazed he admitted to being autogynephillic.

OMOTF : thanks I have it set to 81 right now. A little warm but I like to save money and my ex always liked it frigid - like 70. Brrrrr

Thanks again for the replies. I was so excited about learning about autogynephilia. I told my mom by text: she didn’t comment but replied to a subsequent text. Told a friend who said basically “duh I told you it’s mental - now don’t spend any more energy on it.” And two other friends who said basically “strange”.

Thanks to this forum - so I don’t feel so alone in this.

Last edited by BellaB (June 18, 2019 8:42 am)

Board footera