OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 28, 2019 4:34 pm  #1

In a very angry place today!

I feel like a firefighter constantly putting out fires and then all of a sudden there’s an explosion.  It has been an explosive day with financial things and kid stuff.  I literally wanted to call my STBX to ask him if it’s worth it?  I wonder if he ever feels bad sitting in his apartment in his women’s clothes all alone?  I wonder if he ever looks at himself and questions whether tearing his family apart is worth him badly portraying a woman?

Between vet bills and 2 of my kids failing their current grades I’m having a hard time coping. I’ve also continued marriage therapy hoping for some resolution which I see will never happen.  He walked out of the last session while yelling that I had a cold heart and he’d send the separation agreement to me.  We’ve been separated for 10 months, but it still hurts almost as much as day 1. 

The marriage therapist got after me one week saying not to use blame language.   That it wouldn’t help me or our co-parenting.  He is to blame!  He’s the reason we’re all struggling!  He literally said that he needs to have good mental health and be happy first.  I get it to a point but apparently he’s of the put my oxygen mask on first and watch everyone struggle with theirs.  I want him to hurt!  I want him to feel bad!  I want him to feel shame!  He broke mine and our 4 kids happiness and mental stability for his own!

How do I get through this anger when it seems like my whole world is crumbling over and over?

May 28, 2019 5:53 pm  #2

Re: In a very angry place today!

I'd suggest that you try to remove some of the stress you are feeling by accepting the reality that he is going to continue to do whatever he wants. Acceptance does not mean you like what he's doing or that you agree with any of it but just that it is the way things are.

It sounds as if marriage counseling is not worth continuing. If you are separated I hope that you have an attorney who will make sure you are getting the financial support you need. The children may be reacting to the disrupted family and their schools may be able to help you get them into summer school so they can catch up. 

If your house is on fire you do what you have to in order to get you and your children to safety. Try to focus on yourself and your children now rather than on him. Make your lives as calm as you can, one minute, hour or day at a time and celebrate your small successes. You can survive and thrive.

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

May 28, 2019 11:40 pm  #3

KK,

I want to say you're doing okay though.  If you forget about the cause of everything for a second (yes the cause is him)... The kids need one sane parent that will be the parent they knew..consistent, steadfast, stoic.   Find therapy for yourself and any other help to help yourself and the kids get through this season. Those kids need you now more than ever.
Definitely have a lawyer and do all the proper steps to make sure you get what is legally yours for you and the kids.  Stay stoic legally and don't let him wear you down to get what is right.  It is on the legal front where you simple say one word; no.  It is there sometimes that he may hurt..the hurt these spouses are giving starts coming back to them. This is not you hurting him but simply pomp and circumstance..

I truly believe God is looking down and sees the difference between wrong and right. Leave the hurt to God.  Be a rock for the kids.   I can assure as you work the divorce and strengthen yourself for the kids..God is working behind the scenes...the mills of God grind slowly but they grind exceedly small.

Last edited by Rob (May 28, 2019 11:42 pm)

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

May 29, 2019 7:14 am  #4

KitKat,
     I have those very same thoughts: is sitting alone in your house wearing women's clothes really worth the disruption you caused in all of our lives (not just the immediate but the extended family)?  Is it worth sacrificing the financial comfort we had?  The future we'd planned for?  
   Reluctantly, I have concluded that for him, yes, it is.  I do not understand this, and I think it's both a selfish and self-destructive choice.  But he has shown over and over again that this is what he wants, and that what he wants is all he cares about.  He has been more than willing to stick me with all the consequences, all the way along, and has communicated in many ways that he thinks this is A-ok.  As Abby says, I have had to accept that, even though I don't agree with it.  I'll tell you what, though.  Seeing what I have and experiencing what I have cured me of wanting to stay married to him!  
    Accepting that he is who he has shown himself to be, however, is not always enough to quell my anger when he sticks me with the short of the stick.  This was especially true for me at work, where he continues as the man everyone has always known him to be, while living his double life and deriving his secret pleasure from interactions with people who have no idea what perversions they are fueling.  He destroyed both my family and my work life.  
   For me, the only way to heal was to put as much distance as I could between the two of us and the triggers that set off my rage and my despair.  I was, fortunately, able to this, because I could retire and our child is an adult.  I try to have as little contact with him as I can; every time I must interact with him, or be in a place that I associate with him, it is a trigger for the trauma. 
   You are not able to disengage like this and go no contact, because your kids are young, and he has parental rights (which is another bone to stick in your craw).  But I do believe that the more you can disengage from him, and this includes detaching emotionally from him, the better off you will be, and the better, sane parent, you will be able to be.  And as Rob says, your kids need you to be the sane parent.  Is it fair?  Of course not. Emphatically not!  But it is what you have been stuck with.  Yes, it's unfair, and yes, you're the one suffering while he waltzes around in the pink fog high of feminizing, and yes, it would be more than just for him to have to suffer.  But it is still the reality, and you have to deal with it.  You need all your energy and your wits about you to do that; if your anger is so great that it disables you, you need to get a handle on how to re-direct it so it can power you through what needs to be done.  A good counselor can help you do that.
   I agree with Abby that it sounds as if joint marriage counseling is not helping you.  What the two of you want out of counseling is diametrically opposed: he wants your "acceptance" of his belief he is or can be a woman; you want validation for your feelings and for him to see both the error of his ways and the hurt and damage he has and is causing to you and your children.  Neither of you is going to get what you want. 
    That's the first thing you have to accept.  A marriage counselor's "loyalty" is to "the marriage," not to any one party in it, and that, as you perceive, leaves your counselor unsupportive of your needs right now, which are to have acknowledged and validated the hurt you are feeling, the injustice of the situation, and your anger. You need validation of what you're feeling and going through before you can tackle the more practical details of a parenting plan.  As you have realized, that's not going to come from your STBX.  But you can work with a counselor who will validate your feelings. 
    I would suggest that you need to find a therapist for you, and you alone.  You do not need to reconcile with your STBX in order to work out a parenting plan with him.  What you need are strategies.  You also, I would suggest, need a lawyer, because you need the force of the law behind you.  If he chooses not to do something, you need the law to back you up.  You don't want it to be a situation in which you are asking and then he is deciding whether you can have.  You want a situaiton in which the law determines what is fair, and the courts back it up and level consequences when/if necessary.
  Kitkat, sweetheart, I promise that it will get better.  It will never be like it was; it may never be ok.  But it will get better. Ten months seems like a long time, but in grieving this type of death--because that's what it is, a death, not just of your marriage and the future you had planned, but of your spouse--ten months is not a long time. To lose your husband to his new trans identity is its own special kind of disaster with its own special kind of pain, and as with all disasters, you're being asked to accept and recover from what has laid waste to your world while also having to do the heavy lifting of cleaning up the debris left in the aftermath.  Go easy on yourself.  Let yourself feel what you feel; your feelings are valid.  Then roll up your sleeves and get on with putting out the fire that has sparked up, and ask for help from those who can help--and he is no longer one of those people. 

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (May 29, 2019 8:09 am)

May 29, 2019 7:30 am  #5

OOHC, you always succeed in articulating the frustrations of many of us here.  I agree with all of your points.

KK, your anger is warranted and your therapist probably can’t comprehend your experience and yes your ex is to blame. Now what to do about it?

Every therapist I interact with I ask several questions early. Are you married? how long? Have you been divorced? Do you have children?  Even if they have these experiences I find they cannot comprehend that the cornerstone of assumptions for a healthy heterosexual relationship has been ripped out of the foundation for us here. Ripped out.  They say just accept it. That’s a lot to accept.

The other challenge is that with every interaction with the other parent you still have to deal with the reality of that lie.  I find it taxing to interact with my ex even after five years and I am still 10 years away from my daughter being done with it. 

Regarding anger and blame - you have to deal with it constructively or it will limit your ability to move through this.  If you have a friend or family member that actually ‘gets’ it, that empathy can be cathartic in managing your anger.  I have yet to meet a therapist that fully understands the straight spouse experience. Regarding blame, you are correct, but until we get past the blame we can’t move constructively.  Tony Robbins identifies that as a limiting factor in moving forward from damage caused by another. At some point you will develop a skill to set that aside. 

Regarding your children, I forget this regularly and yet it’s so obvious, how is their sleep and diet?  Focusing on those first  will establish  where they are on their base resilience. You can then manage their emotions from there.

Lastly, to help defuse some of the confrontation during divorce, I would recommend you also consider a mediator.  Any divorced lawyer you contact should be familiar with the mediation process. If not find another. You can PM me on this if u like.

I’m sorry you are here but glad you found us.  I hope some of this helpful. all the best...

ADSJ

Last edited by a_dads_straight_journey (May 29, 2019 7:59 am)

May 29, 2019 8:11 am  #6

ADSJ,
   You always manage to distill the issues down to their essences.  I read you, and it's like the analytical sharp edge. 

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (May 29, 2019 8:12 am)

May 29, 2019 9:19 am  #7

ADSJ, I don't know how mediation works where you live but generally mediation works best when the parties are in equal positions. With a situation where one spouse is celebrating his/her new life and the other is struggling with the loss of the old one my opinion is it is better to let the attorneys do the talking and avoid being in the same room as the soon-to-be-ex as much as possible.

Having an attorney representing your interests can in the long run be well worth the money it costs. Knowledge is power.    

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

May 29, 2019 9:30 am  #8

KitKat, I am so sorry you are going through this. It is not fair in any way. I have often wondered the same thing though. Was it worth it? And like OOHC, i have concluded that, in my STBX's mind, yes. It was worth it.

I have been working with a wonderful therapist that deals with betrayal trauma, and I would highly suggest you find a therapist/counselor who deals in trauma to help you sort through all of this. (I found mine on the APSATS website, btw.) She helped me reach a point of acceptance that has been very beneficial and healing. I had to come to terms with all that I had loss (not just the big things like husband, marriage, etc, but also things like lost time with my children as we now co-parent and I start working). She helped me accept my spouse's true character - not the man I fell in love with, but the one who lied and deceived me for 20 years. She also helped me accept (really accept) that not only did I not do anything wrong, but that if I could go back, I would make the same choices given the information I had at the time - that is how effective my spouse was in his deception. She also helped me come to terms with the fact that my spouse will NEVER acknowledge or take responsibility for the hurt, pain, disruption, and trauma he brought into our lives. I needed to accept that and move on with that knowledge. I had to accept that this will always be a part of my life. I will always have the scars from this and that cloud will always be overhead. My goal is that it becomes just a wispy, thin cloud that cannot stop the light and warmth of the sun from shining through it.

She also showed me that it was necessary and okay to take value in my worth and to stand up for my rights. In other words, my spouse has the right to change hir story, but ze has no right to change my story or my past. 

I will also say that she helped me accept all of this without ever making me feel as if I was to blame in any way. In fact, she often said, "This was done TO you by someone you trusted and depended on. Your anger and pain is normal." The position I found myself in was not my fault or responsibility. However, how I reacted to it was/is. I am responsible for my happiness. 

Get an attorney. A good one. And if dealing with your spouse is triggering than use the attorney to do deal with him so you don't have to. Yes, it is more expensive, but your sanity is worth it, so be kind to yourself and do that if you have to.

I wish you strength and peace.

May 29, 2019 9:33 am  #9

Abby wrote:

ADSJ, I don't know how mediation works where you live but generally mediation works best when the parties are in equal positions. With a situation where one spouse is celebrating his/her new life and the other is struggling with the loss of the old one my opinion is it is better to let the attorneys do the talking and avoid being in the same room as the soon-to-be-ex as much as possible.

Having an attorney representing your interests can in the long run be well worth the money it costs. Knowledge is power.    

During my mediation, we were in different rooms and the mediator went back and forth. I agree I would not have done well being in the same room with my STBX, so yes, find out the particulars of how it works where you are.

May 29, 2019 9:47 am  #10

Abby, on mediation, there are pros and cons I agree.  I chose mediation for the following reasons.  I was in a position at least that my ex  said in principle, she wanted the best for the family, so by mediating I could hold almost every decision up against that standard.  I was also in a very liberal county where I knew the courts would be very sympathetic to a gay female.  My ex also hadn’t worked in 15 years so the post divorce support arrangement was not something I was interested leaving up to a judge.  My ex had already abdicated enough responsibility with her GID for 30 years, I  wanted to hold her accountable for her decisions at exit.  I could see her abdicating accountability again to attorneys and judges. I wasn’t going to have that.

Regarding process, we both also had an attorney looking out for our individual interests.  Our attorneys were involved. We used the mediator alone for many of the non-financial issues and the attorneys were involved with the mediator in the final completion of the agreement including the finances.

For anyone early in the process I encourage them to look at all options. You don’t get another chance to exit. However, for the MTF trans I read about on this site, no offense to them,  but many of them sound like a hot mess.  I also can’t imagine dealing rationally during a period where someone is taking hormones to change themselves.

Abby, you are correct, the emotional stability of the other party and the energy it takes to even sit in the room with them are also factors in deciding the path. 

KK, I wish you the best with all these decisions. 

ADSJ

Board footera