OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 3, 2019 7:49 am  #1

The Forgotten

Ever feel forgotten? My husband has told this family and some friends about him being transgender and taking estrogen. He says he is content with just this and does not even want surgery. But, not one family member especially his cousins who i am close with has reached out to see how I am handling this. It is like we are forgotten. He is the brave one, he is the courageous one, how hard it has to be on him, but yet no one thinks how difficult this is on the spouse. How stressful it is. How much anxiety it causes us. 

May 3, 2019 2:29 pm  #2

Re: The Forgotten

SS1979 .  I’m sorry you are experiencing such feelings of neglect. They may not know what to do or how to react. My ex’s cousin and my ex’s brother didn’t reach out to me directly, but early in the separation they were supportive of me when they saw me at family functions. ( We attempted birthday parties for the kids jointly in the first two years and I would see them there).  In the last few years I only show up for funerals, and they are still supportive.

You might try taking the first step with a text.  I don’t know what else to offer.

May 3, 2019 6:13 pm  #3

SS1979, I wasn't terribly close to my ex's family because they live quite a distance away, but what I found later is that most of them struggled in their own way.  I'm sure it depends on the culture of the family, views on gender, and where they live.  Believe me, my ex's family is VERY far removed from anything liberal, urban, or progressive. Many in my ex's family were pretty bewildered, not even really sure what beings transgender meant ("like Caitlin Jenner?") and most importantly, they were searching for a "why" and some blaming themselves for having done something or not done something.  When push came to shove, though, as bewildered as they were, they love my ex unconditionally, which is how it *should* be with family, so while they were privately very worried they felt a need to focus their support on him.  Again, I don't blame them and I'm glad someone was there for him.  

I don't write this to in any way invalidate your needs - we are just as much in need of support, sympathy, and yes, some friends and family who will gladly agree he was being an absolute *&^% in doing things the way he did.   I've come to think that when the chips fall some people have to default to the side of the ex but that doesn't mean they fully embrace the "courageousness" or don't have sympathy for us.  It just means they love their brother/son/cousin/uncle no matter what (even if it sounds completely unfathomable and/or crazy to them).  

My ex's mother actually did finally reach out to me to ask, "Why?!  Is it my fault?" and "What can I do now?  I love him, I want him to be happy in life, I have no clue what to do."   She was really hurting. She also knew I was hurting, but she'd been blaming herself for his being trans and retreated into a corner or bewildered worry in a lot of ways and didn't want to burden me with her personal guilt and concern.  

Society pushes the messages of bravery, courage, being true to the beautiful person one is inside and all that, but I think it is very hard on families when it's actually happening right in front of them even if they immediately Google and try to take in all the "supportive" messages.  

If they have told you he is the courageous one, the brave one, and you are wrong for not being happy with this in your marriage, then disregard everything above...  If they have been silent or distant, you might try reaching out and just asking, "Hey, how are YOU doing with this?"  I did that with a few of the ex's family members and it opened all kinds of conversations.  They will never side against him but they did turn out to be sympathetic with what I went through. 

May 3, 2019 7:46 pm  #4

I was a typical liberal on trans issues until my ex declared he was "a woman in a man's body" and I lived his disordered reality for three years.  What I discovered is that I, like most people, did not have a clue about what so many men who declare they are or want to be women think, or how they act.  Most liberal people just work from a naive and unnuanced "let everybody be who they are" stance, and have no idea of the sexual element and the wounded narcissism, narcissistic rage, and heightened self-victimization exhibited by these men.  
   I am a former director of a women's and gender studies program.  I flagellated myself because I was sure that my reluctance, my horror, and my visceral repulsion to my ex when he was acting as the offensive stereotype of woman he wanted to be was transphobic.  I figured that everyone else would excoriate and attack me for my reactions and objections in the same way my ex did (and that I had internalized).  I saw how my campus was transforming into a place that accepted without question the transactivist line, and even went so far as to endorse the slur "terf," which I knew was the label they would apply to me.  I felt beset from all sides.
    Well...guess what?  When I finally began to come out of his closet, and to tell the people I knew, family as well as people who were my friends and colleagues, what had happened and how he'd acted and treated me, what he'd said to me, I found out they were far more supportive than I'd imagined they would be.  They didn't say, "You're transphobic!"  They said things like, "How awful for you!" or "I can't believe you endured that for three years!"  Some even said, about his decision to remain in the closet, "In this day and age? That's unacceptable!"   What I found, that is, is that a lot of the pressure I was putting on myself, a lot of what I expected to hear from others, was not in fact warranted, but a product of my own blaming myself for not "being accepting," which in turn was a product of him blaming me.  If you are isolated and in his closet, he is warping your reality.
   It is true that his sister, with whom he is close, was and is focused on his future happiness, although she has acknowledged that I had been presented with a superhuman challenge, and she has expressed her gratitude that I tried as long as I did.  But that hasn't stopped her from saying things that I found hurtful, and she has expressly said she didn't want to read up on autogynephilia--which I interpreted to mean that she doesn't want to know because it might interfere with her view of her brother.  In my view she has a naive view, because she, unlike me, is exempt from the intimate view I had.  A wife's experience is not a sister's.  And as he is in the closet, she has not seen him acting out woman; he's told her he's trans, but she's only ever seen, and continues to see, him as the brother she's always known.  Easy to "accept" when your reality stays the same.  For us, reality changes utterly, and most people have no idea how, or what the effects of that are on us (and our children). 
   It is also true that my university's interpretation of Title IX was used against me, to shut me back into my ex's closet.  I was lucky; I had many years of service and the option to retire--which I took in service to my values, my self-esteem and self-worth, and my principles.  But although the institutional stance was hostile, many of my friends and colleagues on the faculty support and supported me--and some who don't know my story have spoken to me privately about feeling railroaded to accept the trans activist line pushed at the institution.
   I would suggest, Straight Spouse, that you not look to his family for support.  If you don't have family, or family close, or you have been isolated by your husband's actions, then reach out to friends of yours.  Even if life with him as cut your social circle down, I am betting you have one or two friends left, even if they are far way and electronic communication is the only way you can speak to them. You may be surprised to find they are far more understanding than you fear they might be.  And yes, an occasional one might react in a way that is less what you had hoped for--just note that, and don't talk to them again on the issue.  Discover who you can count on, and listen to them. I'll bet what they say will validate you. His closet is HIS.  You don't have to share it.  

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (May 3, 2019 9:33 pm)

Board footera