OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 12, 2019 7:13 pm  #1

Boy friend confessed he is cross dresser

After 7 months of dating a man who lost his significant female partner to cancer 18 months ago, he told me he crossdresses. After additional questioning he states if it were possible he would transition to female. He has wanted to be female since age 5. He is now over 70.
I am in turmoil since this announcement. I had spent every week end with him for 7 months. We live 90" away from each other. He is in the public eye, teaching classes that I help with. He is very beloved by his students. Initially I was having issues with his inability to move forward in the grieving process. He was constantly talking about his deceased girlfriend. Not getting rid of her things, getting tattooed to remind him forever of their relationship. Occasionally calling me by her name. In fact I was breaking up with him when he dropped the bombshell. We separated for 2 weeks, I told him I would not go back until he made room for me in drawers, bathroom cabinets and closets. We teach together so after a short break we were back teaching, he did make room for me in his house. He told me he loves me. I am trying to deal with the crossdressing. Sex is good but very different, I don't know what the future may bring or what to anticipate. I have absolutely no one to talk to. Any thoughts, advise would've appreciated. Thank you

April 13, 2019 11:06 am  #2

Re: Boy friend confessed he is cross dresser

Let's just start with his inability to "make room for [you]" and his inability or unwillingness to "move forward in the grieving process."  These are HUGE relationship red flags.  They indicate he is not ready to commit to another relationship or to another woman.  And if you continue to stay involved with him romantically and sexually, on the basis of promise and potential, you are letting yourself in for a large degree of uncertainty and anxiety.
   Add in the crossdressing: you are "trying to deal with" it.  Another layer of difficulty and uncertainty in an already unsteady relationship.
  Now add in his sexuality--he isn't heterosexual.  He's an autogynephilic trans identified male.  You already sense that sex is "different."  Well, you can expect it to get more so over time, as he accustoms you to accepting more and more.  It's likely you will be asked to step into the role of initiator and he into passivity, because he will define woman as passive and done to.  You will not have a sexual relationship in which you meet as equals, or in which you can play around with your roles.  It will be important for him to act out his desires; he will be making love to himself as a woman as much as he is making love to you--you will be a prop--not even a supporting character--in the play he is writing, scripting, and starring in.  
  Don't you wonder why he told you he's a crossdresser and a man who wants to be a woman just as you were about to leave him?  Did he do this in order to test you, to see what you could tolerate?  Did he tell you this in order to win your sympathy, to resecure you?  Did he tell you because in telling you a secret he thought you would feel special or would want to help him?  Was it a species of ultimatum?  That is, did he tell you in order to tell you what you would have to accept if you wanted a relationship?  My ex did this, I realized later: in the first stages, he said to me, "To the extent you can enjoy me as a woman we have a future together."  At the time, I did not recognize this for the ultimatum it was, and a pronouncement that my role would be adapt and accept, that he was not willing to compromise in any way, shape, or form.  
   Add these all up and I see a lot of grief for you in the future. 
   You asked for advice: mine is to stop teaching with him and cut off all contact, because otherwise you will remain subject to emotional manipulation.  He's not good relationship material.  He's the walking disordered who would like to bring you into his closet and isolate you there.  
    In short, run like your hair's on fire.  

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (April 13, 2019 11:14 am)

April 13, 2019 11:18 am  #3

Deleted

Last edited by Duped (August 23, 2019 1:28 pm)

April 13, 2019 1:54 pm  #4

Ying, for what it's worth I agree with Outof his and with Duped;  RUN

April 13, 2019 7:54 pm  #5

Deleted..

Last edited by Lynne (October 3, 2020 5:53 pm)

April 13, 2019 10:43 pm  #6

I agree with the others, get out of it!  It will only get worse. I’m in the process of starting to get out of a 32+ year marriage.  It gets worse every day. They aren’t concerned with our feelings, it’s all about them
Good Luck.

April 14, 2019 11:33 am  #7

I don’t post very often lately, but was compelled to add my two cents of agreement. RUN for your LIFE!   AND it is YOUR life I’m begging you to save.  I wasted 25 years of mine.  I am remarried now, but live with regret daily.   My ex never came out of his closet.  Reading your post reminds me of my younger self who had a chance.  Who ignored red flags and marched forward anyway.  You have more then red flags, please read our posts and take them for what they are , Mt. Rushmore sized red STOP and RUN signs.

April 26, 2019 5:14 pm  #8

You have invested 7 months - get out now before you end up like me and invest 10 years only to have it demoralize yourself and everything you feel. Unless you want a woman for a partner - get out now.

I wish someone would have told me that 7 months in. I thought it was just some clothing, but its not. That is what they like to think and tell you but its not true. I have no desire to live with a woman and yet here I am stuck now.
Good luck.

May 8, 2019 8:08 pm  #9

Run. 

Everyday you stay it will be more difficult to leave. He’s playing to your empathy and sympathy by being “honest” or transparent.  He’s trying to make his issue yours. 

If the sex is ‘different’, that’s a big sign too.

Run.

The first time you try to leave again watch out for love bombing.  When that happens RUN faster.

Tell a friend or family member what’s going on and have them hold you accountable to leaving if that’s what it takes.

You will not regret leaving.

Last edited by a_dads_straight_journey (May 8, 2019 8:14 pm)

Board footera