OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 8, 2019 9:21 am  #11

Re: Day Four

Thanks, everybody, for your responses. It really helps.

I'm trying to remember to take care of myself, to eat, and to sleep. I slept most of the night last night - was still up before the alarm, but not by much (that's better than waking fully up at 3am and not getting back to some semblance of sleep at 5:30-ish. 

She's out with her friend this evening (this has been planned since prior to her disclosure). I'm still moving forward with the assumption she has not done anything to test this revelation, since that's what she told me. But I feel like, in my gut, I need to set that boundary before she goes out this evening. We've never really, consciously, set boundaries with each other - we just trusted each other to respect the marriage. 

But I also feel like we've both shot that all to hell over the recent past, each in our own ways, and that, regardless of what direction the marriage goes in the future, at the moment, we need to have some boundaries so that we can make that decision with clearer heads, when we are ready, willing, and able to make whatever decision that may be.

We have a date night Saturday evening. 

This is hard.

March 8, 2019 3:23 pm  #12

Hi drewch,
 After reading your post here I decided to read "How to Lose Your Wife to Another Woman". I could have wrote quite a bit of that same story.
 I am almost 9 years post-divorced now and have been remarried to a wonderful woman. But that book brought it back to me rather raw. I well remember doing and trying everything I could to keep us together but her gay won out.
 I am sorry you are going through this and wish you the best of luck.

Be well!

March 8, 2019 5:46 pm  #13

Thanks, Clif! 

I know there is light at the end of this very long tunnel - I just can't see it right now, and I don't know how long the tunnel is, or what potholes it holds.

I appreciate all the support; my children and I (and I hope their mother, too) will all come out of this just fine down the road, with totally new and shifted paradigms...

March 11, 2019 1:44 pm  #14

Drewch, I hope you are having good moments scattered in as often as possible during this nightmare. I hope you're able to check in frequently and update us.

March 11, 2019 2:24 pm  #15

Drewch,
Your story mirrors mine. I was lost for almost six weeks after she told me she was seeing another women. My moment of clarity came one night when she was walking out to see her friend and I told her that I was not OK with her leaving and we had a long talk and half way through it, she looked at the clock and said "I have someone waiting for me" and it hit me like a ton of bricks. The next morning I woke and said to myself that she had someone waiting for her and that person was not me, and I had to put on my boots and start walking my own path. I am so thankful for this site and everyone who posts their stories and shares their pain. To anyone who reads this remember that you are not alone and that you did not do this.

March 11, 2019 2:44 pm  #16

I am not sure about your exact situation, Drewch, but I would be very skeptical that her time spent going out with her bisexual friend has never lead to anything that would be unacceptable to you. Every situation is different, but the majority of the time, the gay spouse has already acted on their same sex attraction by the time they are compelled to tell the straight spouse. I'm not sure what you should do with that information. You can choose to trust your spouse, you can try to prove or disprove things, you can set clear boundaries, but the sad reality that many of us come to realize is you cannot control the outcome of things. If she wants to go out, there is little you can do to stop her, and if she wants to act on her SSA, she will.

I hope things work out better for you than for many of us. Genuinely praying for you and your family.

March 11, 2019 11:16 pm  #17

LastOne wrote:

Drewch,
we had a long talk and half way through it, she looked at the clock and said "I have someone waiting for me" and it hit me like a ton of bricks. The next morning I woke and said to myself that she had someone waiting for her and that person was not me, and I had to put on my boots and start walking my own path.

This is one of the hardest things. “That person is not me.”  They are choosing someone—or something—that is not us. It makes all the years together with them seem like such a complete rejection. It is surreal, especially when you realize they have been choosing “something else” for much of your marriage.  Just not choosing you.  What was I to him all these 30ish years?  Not what I thought I was.  And not being “chosen” is not just now, but throughout the entire marriage.

March 13, 2019 6:49 am  #18

OnMyOwnTwoFeet wrote:

LastOne wrote:

Drewch,
we had a long talk and half way through it, she looked at the clock and said "I have someone waiting for me" and it hit me like a ton of bricks. The next morning I woke and said to myself that she had someone waiting for her and that person was not me, and I had to put on my boots and start walking my own path.

This is one of the hardest things. “That person is not me.”  They are choosing someone—or something—that is not us. It makes all the years together with them seem like such a complete rejection. It is surreal, especially when you realize they have been choosing “something else” for much of your marriage.  Just not choosing you.  What was I to him all these 30ish years?  Not what I thought I was.  And not being “chosen” is not just now, but throughout the entire marriage.

Been there done/felt that.

I call that "the discard".  When you have been together 20, 30, 40 years and they have decided and chosen someone else.  Definitely hits you like a ton of bricks.  It goes way beyond TGT.  It is an inhumane feeling...that all your years of friendship and love count for nothing..you can be cast aside like a used soda can..   Its a scary thing to realize they can do this with no feeling of remorse or shame. How horrible a morality they have to do this..that they have convinced themselves or their gay friend did that we deserve this treatment.

Its not true I tell you..we are worth more than they can comprehend.  Our authentic fierce love is more then they understand and, now, more than they deserve.

Walk on...the anger and rage from them will come when they find, in the divorce,  that we will not go die somewhere ..that we count and have a right to exist and live.
Do not for a moment think that they are somehow right on any level and we somehow deserve this treatment.    Know that there are good people out there that would not and cannot treat another human being in this way. It is this horrible morality that i thank God
I am far away from. 

I heard a saying that just our mere existence, our constant loving acts, irratates their demons.  They choose then...but it has nothing to do with us..we did nothing so wrong.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

Board footera