OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 10, 2018 3:11 pm  #1

Let’s create a playlist! What ear worms live in our SSpouse psyche?

Hi, I could use some humor, so let's create a playlist for the straight spouse!

I’ve been reading on the site since June, but this is my first post.  Yesterday I started to post my story and worries and grief, and it was too much. Today, I want to cheer myself up with some laughter. Please join me? I assume everyone wants a little laughter. 

Getting dressed in bedroom with my husband this morning, I realized once again that the ear worm song in my head reflected my current mood.  So, I give you actual songs unbidden in my head from past years before the big discovery up to how I was feeling this morning.  These songs have stuck in my head for months at a time.  And, of course, “Shuffle” is definitely a big part of my feelings playlist!

Playlist for the Straight Spouse—please add!

Let Her Go (Passenger)
I can’t make you love me if you don’t (Bonnie Raitt)
Too Much Too Little Too Late (Johnny Mathis and Denice Williams)
From now on, you’re only someone that I  used to love (Natalie Cole)

And for fun, Pray for You by Jaron Lowenstein—seems serious at first but is funny!  Since I am new to the site, it will not let me post the link.  Sorry.  But you can look it up!  Also, I found  Pray for You in “Cheaters, the Musical,” on infidelityhelpgroup.com.

December 10, 2018 6:27 pm  #2

Re: Let’s create a playlist! What ear worms live in our SSpouse psyche?

Heartbreaker- Led Zeppelin
Your time is gonna come- Led Zeppelin

Who are you-The Who

Last edited by Zoso (December 10, 2018 6:28 pm)

December 10, 2018 6:50 pm  #3

"Watershed" Indigo Girls

December 10, 2018 7:35 pm  #4

Oh I like these! As soon as I get officially enough posts, I can add links, and then we are really singing.

Gotta say:  being a Straight Spouse for so many years—but not knowing it—I have an arsenal of personal “try to be happy” distractions.

December 10, 2018 11:39 pm  #5

What are the distractions? I could sure use some these days.

December 11, 2018 11:09 pm  #6

evanescence-going under

December 12, 2018 12:14 am  #7

Well, Zoso, on distractions.  One thing I do is exaggerate for the humor effect, and I  was doing that in that comment with the word “arsenal”  for sure.  But your earnest question from your pain hit my own pain, and it made me pause and wonder: was I really being honest about how I have an arsenal?  And the answer is: kind of?

Speaking symbolically here, sometimes I can depend on my small collection of effective ninja toys, which sometimes I cannot find cuz everything is so damn messy right now.

I ended up,with a really long “coping” list, and I am going to post it out of this thread, in its own topic, on this same “support” board.  Look for it there! Maybe other people will add to it. Or at least benefit? I will call it something like, “how to distract and cope” or “what is in your emotional arsenal.”

Best to you and to all of us.  This is so crazy hard.

Last edited by OnMyOwnTwoFeet (December 12, 2018 1:17 am)

December 12, 2018 12:16 am  #8

“You can go your own way” by Fleetwood Mac!

December 12, 2018 9:48 am  #9

When I am feeling strong and ready to stand up and fight for myself, Fight Song by Rachel Platten.

When I am feeling a little down, Wish You Were A Better Man by Little Big Town

December 12, 2018 6:57 pm  #10

"I Knew" Bonnie Raitt.
I also altered a lot of song lyrics to make them fit...  Eric Clapton's "One Chance" spoke to my doubts about leaving but also to what he was losing by his decisions. 

Board footera