OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 6, 2018 11:01 am  #1

Charlotte Rae

You may have heard about the passing of actress Charlotte Rae at 92 but did you know she was also a Straight Spouse?

"In 1951, Rae married film composer and music editor John Strauss. The couple had two sons, Larry and Andrew. Rae and Strauss stayed together for more than 25 years until he revealed that he was bisexual and wanted an open marriage. They divorced in 1976."

Two years later (at the age of 52) she achieved her most lasting success as "Edna Garrett" on the shows "Diff'rent Strokes" and "The Facts of Life".

Rest in Peace, Charlotte.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

August 6, 2018 5:36 pm  #2

Re: Charlotte Rae

I'll bet there have been a lot of those marriages with celebrities and other public figures that were just kept quiet.  I would imagine some of the divorces and/or "staying togethers" involved hush money in some cases.  What a phenomenon it is with these gay/straight marriages!  When I was young it never occurred to me that a gay person would have the faintest interest in seriously getting together with a straight person.  I wouldn't have thought they'd even ask a straight person out on a date.  Little did I know, and this has obviously been going on - probably all throughout history in some way.

"Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive!" - Sir Walter Scott

August 11, 2018 12:26 pm  #3

Re: Charlotte Rae

This is interesting.  I didn't know this.  Yes, I agree with you, Lake Breeze.  I'm in no doubt that this has happened throughout history.  I know there have been many historical dramas where there was a couple marrying and the man was gay.  Back then, this were usually arranged marriages and the women had no options.

Board footera