OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 10, 2018 12:34 am  #1

How do I know??

Hello.  I am beginning the process of divorce with my husband, who has come out as gay.  K gave my story under the post Gay And Divorcing, under Support.  Anyway, he came out to me and as far as I know, he has never been involved with anyone.  He has joined the support group Q Christian Network.  For almost a year, he chats online, texts, and talks on the phone to people.  He hasn’t done this recently, but for a man who never likes talking in the phone, he spent a lot of time everyday, with the door closed, and music on, talking to a “friend.”  He has had many buddies and friends he chats with for a few years now.  He would never tell them about me, just that they were a buddy from college or something.  Years ago he didn’t do this.  I would know who his friends were.  We have been disconnected for a long time now, so maybe he always did this but I didn’t know about it.  Except he didn’t spend hours on the phone.  As I walked past his “man cave” one night, I overheard him talking about Portland, and I got the gist that his friend was from Oregon.  He has been looking for jobs in Portland.  He was offered a job with a huge pay cut.  I asked why he would do such a thing.  He said he needed a fresh start and he has friends there.  When I asked what friend, I was told it was none of my business.  Mean for someone who wants to remain friends with me!  Anyway, this led me to ask if he was seeing someone, and he said “so what if I am.”  I told him he should t before the divorce is final, and he told me that we are separated and not really married anymore in his eyes, so he can do what he wants.  He has been better lately and I haven’t heard him on the phone.  I have asked him not to date anyone until the divorce is final.  He has agreed.  I just don’t know how much to trust him.  I am wondering if he has been involved with someone.  I know ultimately it won’t make any difference.  I am speculating here.  What do y’all think?  Thanks.

August 10, 2018 6:17 am  #2

Re: How do I know??

Doglover,

One of the the things that hurts the most is their moving on quickly...the discard. How can they they just drop us after so many years together?  I think its a combination of things;

Their having had more time to distance themselves emotionally from us.  It goes to show they have been working on this
sometimes for years. They have planned and plotted.. Sometimes egged on by a gay lover.

The other thing that allows them to do this is their moral core..or lack thereof.    My GX filed the divorce and then took off her wedding rings.  The hurt they can dispense with total lack of empathy can be boundless.

..and that is what separates us from them.  I strongly believe it is more fundamental than just their being gay.  In a sentence; you or I could never do this to someone.

I urge you to practice no contact and to learn how to live on your own again..  In time you will see that it was the best thing you ever did..to get away from someone hurtful and heartless.

Sincere ehugs

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

August 10, 2018 6:25 am  #3

Like my ex he ha/has a circle of gay friends and it sounds as if he currently has a special one. Make sure you know what the marital debt and assets are, get your attorney's advice on how to protect yourself financially and get that divorce moving along. Watch the finances like a hawk but look elsewhere for friendship because who needs a friend like him?

If you are still wearing your wedding rings take them off. Take your dog(s) for walks- maybe get to know other dog lovers - and make time for yourself. If it is any consolation the buddy who helps him out of the closet may dump him once he's followed his heart to Portland. Not sure if it is because the one who leaves the marriage reads too much into the relationship or that the one who's out and about just likes liberating closeted men and moves on once his mission is accomplished. Either way your soon-to-be-ex  may have heartbreak ahead so be sure not to let him cry on your couch.

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

August 10, 2018 10:22 am  #4

I forbid my ex from seeing or sleeping with her married lover until our divorce was over.  She agreed..  and then lied to my face on a daily basis for the next 5 months.  She had zero integrity.. 100% selfish.. didn't give a damn about me, but was happy to lie directly to me.  I still hate her for it. 

Your husband will do the same.. he's already said so.  They are selfish people and they don't care about you.  Get used to it and know what to expect. 

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

August 10, 2018 1:46 pm  #5

At the end of the day what does it matter if he’s seeing someone? He’s going to do it with or without your blessing. And eventually do it anyway.
Why do you want him to stay faithful? He’s not faithful, faithful means committed, honest and monogamous in a loving relationship. Forcing him to be monogamous when he’s looking for a gay relationship seems pointless.

Better that you try and accept it rather than fight it and cling on to some last straw of commitment from him that ultimately doesn’t mean anything. You’re just setting yourself up for disappointment and more lies.

And you do know how much you can trust him....zero.

Last edited by Duped (August 10, 2018 1:48 pm)

Board footera