OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 24, 2018 10:26 pm  #1

The Stranger and me

The stranger and me.

A lot of things my ex-wife said to me when she came out and asked for a divorce were wrong. One thing she got right though was when she said to me “You don’t know me AT ALL”.  At the time I thought I knew her better than anyone and I told her so. I genuinely believed it. Within days though she proved herself right when ‘the stranger’ arrived.

‘The stranger’ was a new version of the woman I loved with all my heart. The stranger was cold, detached, merciless and hell bent on a course to destroy our family. I was stunned at the change in her. Within the space of a few hours the girl I married was gone. Shock doesn’t even come close to describing what I felt as this transition happened in front of my eyes.

With the benefit of hindsight I can admit now that I did not know her. I realize now that my marriage existed mostly in my own head. She had checked out of the marriage months, if not years before but I kept soldiering on making the minute adjustments and compromises every day that kept the marriage alive in my heart while it died in hers. 

My wife never came back. The stranger stayed. It was impossible for me to reconcile in my heart and in my head that the person I loved and trusted completely was simply gone. With a lot of counseling it started to gel that I would never see her again so I decided to write my wife a letter. A goodbye letter. I gave it to the stranger to read. I told my wife that I loved her and that I appreciated all that she had done for me. I told her that she was a wonderful person and an amazing mother.  I ended the letter by saying “Goodbye my beautiful wife.”

I let my wife die that day. Not literally of course... but in my heart I separated my wife from ‘the stranger’. From that moment on I could grieve a death and remember her fondly as the person she was up until the moment she stopped loving me. I don’t know when that moment was but I will treasure for the rest of my life all of the moments I had with her before that.

I have moved on and today I am loved by someone else. The stranger still exists in her own world but I - by MY choosing - am not part of that world. The grieving has ended and it helps me to know that my marriage wasn’t wasted time or ‘all for nothing’. I was loved and so was she. I will always hold on to that and no stranger will take it from me.

You have a future. A good one. It begins as a flicker of hope. Nurture it until it becomes a dream and when you are strong enough you will make it a reality. NEVER give up. 

July 24, 2018 11:54 pm  #2

Re: The Stranger and me

It is confusing. Often it seems like your partner died but yet they're still around. They're not the same, but they have the same face and voice. Hard to get that closure but that goodbye letter is an interesting idea. Even if you never actually delivered it I think it would be therapeutic just to write it.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

July 25, 2018 10:58 am  #3

Steve,

I am starting to move on also..   surrounding myself with people that love me.     Your post was spot on...  I could have written it though not so well..
The person we knew is gone ...in their place is a stranger.   

Moving on few things make me cry anymore  but checking back in here  your  "Goodbye my beautiful wife" statement did just that.      That is ok...we cry, we feel, we grieve.     One of the problems with TGT is our spouses are not dead...there is no funeral where people comfort us.   We grieve very much alone sometimes.  

It is extremely important now  when interfacing and communicating with her that the person she is now is not my wife..words need to be chosen careful, one cannot let their guard down and feel for them again; this new person (or who they really were)  will hurt us.. hurt upon hurt.  

I will always love my GX or at least the person she was in the years we were together.    At the same time if you put a gun to my head I would not take back this person she is now.   She is this enemy I keep close now  where I have some use for her...ie  she can watch the kids.   Otherwise , sadly, the person I knew in my head is very much dead.

Someday I'd like to write that letter  but I'd be tempted to give it to her.    And that would get me pounced on with fury and anger...  No...I must grieve, acknowledge the love I gave and the some I received  and move on.   

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

July 26, 2018 11:13 am  #4

Rob wrote:

Moving on few things make me cry anymore  but checking back in here  your  "Goodbye my beautiful wife" statement did just that.  

Me too.

I’m glad you’re happy now Steve. Many of us here would love to be loved that way.

Board footera