OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 20, 2018 6:21 am  #1

53 years living a lifor now, we not tell the chidren

I am not sure if this is where I tell my story,,,, but here it is...SOOOO with 10 days til Christmas 2017 (just gone)- I received the worst Christmas present ever. I found evidence that my loving husband of almost 21 years was living a lie. I had found suspicious material on the family computer.  When confronted, he confirmed my suspicions, and stated that he had been having anonymous hook ups on and off for at least the last 12 years. On retrospect- his hook ups started when I was pregnant with our third child. I had to be tested for syphyllis, as he was then positive for syphyllis and our GP had concerns for my + baby's welfare.  He confirmed that he was gay and has been gay all of  his life. He just hoped that after meeting and marrying me, a switch would 'flick' and all would be ok..Normal for him. Well it's not NORMAL! I am angry, sad and hurt... but a part of this is for him as well.  Denying your true feelings for 53 years must be a hell like no other. He is a good, kind man and a great father to our growing children. So what do I do?  What is best and fair for every one?  He states that he still  loves me, deeply!  Hard to believe as this flaunts ALL Gay beliefs. He states that he is attracted to me and still loves me deeply. I asked him if he could be 'Bi'- but he firmly denies this as he feels he is only attracted and  attuned to men.  How did I not notice things before now? He has, and still is a gentle, smart, caring man. Not what I would call... "A mans man" but still a "gentleman". I have wondered on + off through the years if he could be gay- but thought actually confronting him with my suspicions would well and truly blow our marriage out of the water! So what will I do now for me and my three children- 12, 16, 19 years? For now, I have decided after a lot of soul searching, to stay friends - after all- we really have been good friends since we met, and continue our joint efforts in raising our  young children. I feel that for now, we not tell the children. I will explore the option of having a home extension done with more living space and  see what the future holds for all of us. He has no expectations and feels he has no right or requests, demands  to be made as he has cfreated this shit hole! I made a vow, and I will honour it- for better or worse- even though this is the worst!.  But the trust is gone, and the  intimacy is gone as future fidelity cannot be guaranteed by him. Uncertain times are ahead for us all. But we only get one life to live. So we shall see what lies ahead for us all.

Last edited by coleenp (January 22, 2018 5:00 am)

January 20, 2018 9:42 am  #2

Re: 53 years living a lifor now, we not tell the chidren

Coleenp,

Welcome.

You ask what you do now...  You do what is right and what is best for you and the kids.   It may mean the status quo for awhile...it may mean separate bedrooms. You need to feel safe and sane. 
To me telling the kids depends on their age and if it will be helpful to them. TGT ..the gay..is hard for us..it could very confusing and hard for a kid.  What they want to know is will they have a mom and a dad and how will life change for them.   

It is a shock..the first thing is is to stabilize yourself and start building your support system.

And you may find friendship hard with him..  Don't hurt yourself more relying too much on that "friendship"..  Start thinking about yourself and the kids who will need someone that puts them first who is the person they always knew.

A welcome e-hug. (Authentic and sincere)

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

January 20, 2018 11:47 am  #3

Welcome coleenp.  

I'm so sorry you've discovered that your husband is gay.  We all know that pain too well.  I hope you find peace and help from this group. 

I applaud you for remaining committed to your marriage and family.  We have a special section for those who wish to find strategies to remain married - http://straightspouse.boardhost.com/viewforum.php?id=5
You are welcome to post anywhere, but that section is required to remain positive and constructive toward that challenging goal. 

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

January 20, 2018 1:14 pm  #4

Wow,
Best of luck.  It takes a long time to deal with all of the emotions.  I am fairly new here and nobody wants to be here.  I loved my wife so much, and still do.  Very hard to start letting go, but personally I have no choice.  We have a 7 year old and a soon to be 10 year old.  It is hard.  Some great people on here with advice and support you will need.  The one day at a time saying is so true.  I was losing my wife to a 0/10 girl last spring.  Such denial that I didn't even see it even though it was right in front of me.  I am living a nightmare, but once I started my support group the air became clearer.  Legal answers have helped too.  I figure life is too short to be living with someone who is living a lie.  We all deserved to be loved by someone that can love us back on all levels.  I took those vows too, and in the end there was absolutely nothing I could do because I am a man.   Oh does that sting.   

January 20, 2018 3:36 pm  #5

Thank you all for your posts= it is good to share with those who are in my shoes. Count of Monte Cristo- It is true- we do deserve to be loved by someone on all levels... and my time may or may not come again. But for now- my 12,16,19 yo children need me= even though they don't know and my husband- who says he still loves me- needs me too. Thank you all once again for your replies.

Board footera