OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 12, 2017 2:35 pm  #11

Re: The thing called Forgiveness

I have also struggled with the idea of forgiveness.  There's a saying about forgiving 70 times 7 times.  I'm pretty sure I've surpassed that one.  There are some things I don't know how long it will take to forgive.  Since reading so many of these posts, my perspective is that it's ok to just wait on the forgiveness part.  I'm still in the middle of all this.  Still finding the oxygen masks for myself and the kids on this crash and burn ride.

October 12, 2017 6:47 pm  #12

I feel that forgiveness doesn't mean I'm now OK with what happened or was done. It just means I'm not going to let it completely define me or keep me from moving on. Also that I can't be bothered to seek revenge or redress.

Now absolution is a different matter, that takes some form of redress or penance.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

October 12, 2017 10:22 pm  #13

Forgiveness may be a battle I won't have the will or strength to fight. 

I hate what he's done to my future...too much to want to forgive

KIA KAHA                       

October 14, 2017 7:39 am  #14

Thank you Daryl for that link. Sometimes my ex feels like one of my boys. I have to use that Mom-in charge tone to enforce boudaries and its exausting, really.

Dubed, I am very scared of getting tested. Im mentally preparing for that still. I know it will be anther step in leaving the past behind but it can also be throwing me right back into the lies and deceit and yet another mountain to climb.

I found this piece on forgiveness that says to forgive is to help yourself be freed. You dont have to stay in the same situation or allow someone to keep treating you badly. You can move on from wat's hurting you. Just more freely. I like that.

October 14, 2017 10:59 am  #15

Deleted. 

Last edited by Lynne (October 3, 2020 6:24 pm)

October 14, 2017 12:01 pm  #16

Me too Lynne. I accept it, I can’t change or undo any of it, and I refuse to waste any more of my life being victimized by him. I have days where I literally don’t give his pathetic life a thought, I think that’s progress. I know I’m moving forward, that’s all that matters to me.

Board footera